Old 10-04-2012, 02:52 PM
Richard Marko

Default abrt server report: 20121004

Hot problems:

ID Components Count

11834 GConf2 199

11523 control-center 186

8300 kdebase-runtime, glibc, glib2, qt 161

11431 kernel 159

11514 kernel 151

12245 control-center 134

11656 gnome-packagekit 129

6217 tracker 114

13018 tracker 107

6863 glibc, glib2 106

Long-term problems:

ID Components Count

11523 control-center 375

11656 gnome-packagekit 358

12245 control-center 326

6863 glibc, glib2 302

7137 gnome-packagekit 292

8080 tracker 267

6217 tracker 266

6975 gnome-terminal 240

13018 tracker 220

9408 cairo, libX11, gtk3 217

Most destabilized components:

Component Jump Graph

kernel 220 ▁▂▄▅▇▇█

nepomuk-core 35 ▁▂▆▃▆█▅

gnome-shell 11 ▄▃▁▁█▁▇

coreutils 2 ▁▁▁▁█▂▁

xfce4-panel 7 ▁▁▃▃▁▆█

Most stabilized components:

Component Jump Graph

tracker -23 ▆▆█▆▂▃▁

libreport 2 ▁█▅▁▁▁▁

totem -16 ▇█▁▃▃▁▂

java-1.7.0-openjdk -9 █▆▁▁▁▃▂

GConf2 -11 █▂▁▇▁▃▃

What's this about?
------------------

These are the statistics generated by ABRT Server deployed on [1].

We are going to send these reports weekly as they should help developers
prioritize their work. We expect them to become more and more accurate
as more people will start using new versions of ABRT with simplified
reporting [2].

Note that kernel is incorrectly blamed as the most destabilized
component as we started handling kerneloops reports only last week.

Feedback is really appreciated mainly on these topics:
- structure of this email,
- clustering quality,
- backtrace quality,
- kerneloops processing.

[1] https://retrace.fedoraproject.org/faf/
[2] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/SimplifiedCrashReporting

--
Richard Marko

Old 10-04-2012, 03:00 PM
Peter Robinson

On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 3:52 PM, Richard Marko <rmarko@redhat.com> wrote:
> Hot problems:
>
> ID Components Count

> 11834 GConf2 199
>
> 11523 control-center 186

Could we make the referenced ID the RHBZ ID for the crash. It makes it
more useful for people to cross reference. I have no idea what that ID
stands for and for example is 11843 a single problem with GConf2 that
has occurred 199 times or is that all the problems for GConf2 added
up.

Peter

Old 10-04-2012, 03:02 PM
Dave Jones

On Thu, Oct 04, 2012 at 04:52:19PM +0200, Richard Marko wrote:

> kernel 220 ▁▂▄▅▇▇█

Nice graphs!

> What's this about?
> ------------------
>
> These are the statistics generated by ABRT Server deployed on [1].
>
> We are going to send these reports weekly as they should help developers
> prioritize their work. We expect them to become more and more accurate
> as more people will start using new versions of ABRT with simplified
> reporting [2].
>
> Note that kernel is incorrectly blamed as the most destabilized
> component as we started handling kerneloops reports only last week.

> Feedback is really appreciated mainly on these topics:
> - structure of this email,
> - clustering quality,
> - backtrace quality,
> - kerneloops processing.

Feature request:
Can you do the same backtrace hashing abrt does, and provide a link to any
bugs in bugzilla with the abrt_hash in the whiteboard ?

Dave

Old 10-04-2012, 03:10 PM
Dave Jones

On Thu, Oct 04, 2012 at 11:02:43AM -0400, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 04, 2012 at 04:52:19PM +0200, Richard Marko wrote:
>

> > kernel 220 ▁▂▄▅▇▇█
>
> Nice graphs!
>
> > What's this about?
> > ------------------
> >
> > These are the statistics generated by ABRT Server deployed on [1].
> >
> > We are going to send these reports weekly as they should help developers
> > prioritize their work. We expect them to become more and more accurate
> > as more people will start using new versions of ABRT with simplified
> > reporting [2].
> >
> > Note that kernel is incorrectly blamed as the most destabilized
> > component as we started handling kerneloops reports only last week.
>
> > Feedback is really appreciated mainly on these topics:
> > - structure of this email,
> > - clustering quality,
> > - backtrace quality,
> > - kerneloops processing.
>
> Feature request:
> Can you do the same backtrace hashing abrt does, and provide a link to any
> bugs in bugzilla with the abrt_hash in the whiteboard ?

Never mind. It seems you do that, and I was looking at reports where no bug
had been filed. Perhaps print "no bug filed yet" in that case ?

Dave

Old 10-04-2012, 03:26 PM
Richard Marko

On 10/04/2012 05:00 PM, Peter Robinson wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 3:52 PM, Richard Marko <rmarko@redhat.com> wrote:
>> Hot problems:
>>
>> ID Components Count

>> 11834 GConf2 199
>>
>> 11523 control-center 186
> Could we make the referenced ID the RHBZ ID for the crash. It makes it
> more useful for people to cross reference. I have no idea what that ID
> stands for and for example is 11843 a single problem with GConf2 that
> has occurred 199 times or is that all the problems for GConf2 added
> up.

The single problem may have more than one attached bugzilla
which depends on reports clustered to that single problem.

Another issue with using RHBZ ID is that the cluster
of related reports may change over time as we get more reports
which sometimes leads to splitting/merging of different clusters (problems).

So in case of problem ID, ideally, it should represent single issue with
the affected component(s) provided that the clustering algorithm works
correctly.

--
Richard Marko

Old 10-04-2012, 06:13 PM
Dave Jones

On Thu, Oct 04, 2012 at 11:10:47AM -0400, Dave Jones wrote:

> > Feature request:
> > Can you do the same backtrace hashing abrt does, and provide a link to any
> > bugs in bugzilla with the abrt_hash in the whiteboard ?
>
> Never mind. It seems you do that, and I was looking at reports where no bug
> had been filed. Perhaps print "no bug filed yet" in that case ?

Something else just occurred to me, that might be useful, would be to print the top-most function
in the summary page. Looking at https://retrace.fedoraproject.org/faf/problems/hot/*/*/kernel/
it would be useful if I could see at a glance that bug 13935 was a wireless bug, without
needing to click into it.

But... A lot of the 'function' fields on kernel bugs are going to be the same.
"warn_slowpath_common" or "warn_slowpath_null". We have a billion WARN() statements all over
the kernel, and it's more useful knowing the location of where those are placed than the
function name of the WARN statement.
Ie, the summary for https://retrace.fedoraproject.org/faf/problems/13955/
should show "function: brcms_c_wait_for_tx_completion".

There may be a few other function names that would also require similar special casing.

Dave

Old 10-05-2012, 02:48 AM
Adam Williamson

On Thu, 2012-10-04 at 11:10 -0400, Dave Jones wrote:

> > Feature request:
> > Can you do the same backtrace hashing abrt does, and provide a link to any
> > bugs in bugzilla with the abrt_hash in the whiteboard ?
>
> Never mind. It seems you do that, and I was looking at reports where no bug
> had been filed. Perhaps print "no bug filed yet" in that case ?

Wait, how do we have reports with no bugs?
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Old 10-05-2012, 09:02 AM
Richard Marko

On 10/04/2012 08:13 PM, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 04, 2012 at 11:10:47AM -0400, Dave Jones wrote:
>
> > > Feature request:
> > > Can you do the same backtrace hashing abrt does, and provide a link to any
> > > bugs in bugzilla with the abrt_hash in the whiteboard ?
> >
> > Never mind. It seems you do that, and I was looking at reports where no bug
> > had been filed. Perhaps print "no bug filed yet" in that case ?
>
> Something else just occurred to me, that might be useful, would be to print the top-most function
> in the summary page. Looking at https://retrace.fedoraproject.org/faf/problems/hot/*/*/kernel/
> it would be useful if I could see at a glance that bug 13935 was a wireless bug, without
> needing to click into it.

I agree.

> But... A lot of the 'function' fields on kernel bugs are going to be the same.
> "warn_slowpath_common" or "warn_slowpath_null". We have a billion WARN() statements all over
> the kernel, and it's more useful knowing the location of where those are placed than the
> function name of the WARN statement.

We will add the location and line numbers to these reports
but the implementation is not ready yet.

> Ie, the summary for https://retrace.fedoraproject.org/faf/problems/13955/
> should show "function: brcms_c_wait_for_tx_completion".
>

> There may be a few other function names that would also require similar special casing.

Sounds good. I've created tickets for all these improvements. Thanks!

--
Richard Marko

Old 10-05-2012, 09:13 AM
Richard Marko

On 10/05/2012 04:48 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-10-04 at 11:10 -0400, Dave Jones wrote:
>
>> > Feature request:
>> > Can you do the same backtrace hashing abrt does, and provide a link to any
>> > bugs in bugzilla with the abrt_hash in the whiteboard ?
>>
>> Never mind. It seems you do that, and I was looking at reports where no bug
>> had been filed. Perhaps print "no bug filed yet" in that case ?
> Wait, how do we have reports with no bugs?

If you cancel reporting to the bugzilla or it isn't successful no bug
is assigned to the report on the server. It might be added later
when someone completes the reporting.

--
Richard Marko