-   -   building kernel - fedora 17: no success with insmod (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-development/708809-building-kernel-fedora-17-no-success-insmod.html)

Kevin Wilson 10-01-2012 04:32 PM

building kernel - fedora 17: no success with insmod

Hello,
I am running Fedora 17 on x86_64.
I wanted to build bluetooth kernel module for f17 so I could use it under f17.

I did this:
download kernel-3.3.4-5.fc17.src.rpm.
ran:
rpm -ivh kernel-3.3.4-5.fc17.src.rpm
rpmbuild -bp /root/rpmbuild/SPECS/kernel.spec
It went well.

Then , I went to /root/rpmbuild/BUILD/kernel-3.3.fc17/linux-3.3.4-5.fc17.x86_64
configure a kernel where CONFIG_BT=m (for bluetooth as a module) and ran
"make modules".

However, when I try insmod for
/root/rpmbuild/BUILD/kernel-3.3.fc17/linux-3.3.4-5.fc17.x86_64/net/bluetooth.ko
I get
"Invalid module format".
dmesg shows:
bluetooth: version magic '3.3.4 SMP mod_unload ' should be
'3.3.4-5.fc17.x86_64 SMP mod_unload '

In the Makefile I have:

VERSION = 3
PATCHLEVEL = 3
SUBLEVEL = 4
EXTRAVERSION =
NAME = Saber-toothed Squirrel

but uname -r shows
uname -r
3.3.4-5.fc17.x86_64

where is the .4-5 came from ? could it be that applying this rpm has some
error in that it does not set extraversion to .5 ?

Any ideas?

rgs,
Kevin

Kevin Wilson 10-01-2012 05:05 PM

building kernel - fedora 17: no success with insmod

Hi,
Update:
I found a workaround:
adding
EXTRAVERSION = -5.fc17.x86_64
in the Makefile.

But shouldn't it be so when applying the src.rpm
without any change from me ?

rgs,
Kevin

Josh Boyer 10-01-2012 05:21 PM

On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 1:05 PM, Kevin Wilson <wkevils@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> Update:
> I found a workaround:
> adding
> EXTRAVERSION = -5.fc17.x86_64
> in the Makefile.
>
> But shouldn't it be so when applying the src.rpm
> without any change from me ?

No, because you only used RPM to expand the source, then you built a
local kernel from that. If you actually build the kernel with RPM as
suggested on the custom kernel wiki page, it will do the proper thing.

Also, 3.3.4 is very old even on F17. We're already at 3.5.4 and moving
to 3.6 fairly soon. You should likely update.

josh

Kevin Wilson 10-02-2012 01:13 PM

building kernel - fedora 17: no success with insmod

Hi,
Thanks!

> If you actually build the kernel with RPM as
>suggested on the custom kernel wiki page, it will do the proper thing.

can somebody provide a link to this wiki page ?

rgs,
Kevin

drago01 10-02-2012 01:15 PM

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Building_a_custom_kernel

Kevin Wilson 10-02-2012 01:22 PM

building kernel - fedora 17: no success with insmod

thnks!

Ralf Ertzinger 10-02-2012 05:47 PM

building kernel - fedora 17: no success with insmod

Hi.

On Mon, 1 Oct 2012 18:32:10 +0200, Kevin Wilson wrote
> Hello,
> I am running Fedora 17 on x86_64.
> I wanted to build bluetooth kernel module for f17 so I could use it
> under f17.

May I ask what's wrong with, for example, this one?

/usr/lib/modules/3.5.4-2.fc17.x86_64/kernel/net/bluetooth/bluetooth.ko

--
Disservice: It takes months to find a customer, but only seconds to lose
one. The good news is that we should run out of them in no time.