Old 09-29-2012, 04:24 AM
Robin Lee

Default 'newpackager' is not in FAS, or How to co-maintain a package before getting sponsored

On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 12:02 PM, Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs@math.uh.edu> wrote:

RL> Hi, all I want to follow the route [1] to bring up a new

RL> packager.

Then why not follow the procedure you referenced? *It tells you what to

do, which involves opening a ticket in the appropriate trac instance.

*- J<It is just the beginning at this moment. The candidate packager is still learning RPM packaging* and below level that can be sponsored.

I just thought that the 'newpackager' is the group for such kind of new contributors. People in this group can have access to limited group of packages and cannot own any package. But, after all, the group is not existing.

So, that means new willing contributors can only co-maintain the package by sending patches and filing bugs, instead of having direct commit privilege to the Git repo?

robin

Old 09-29-2012, 05:32 AM
Toshio Kuratomi

On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 12:24:40PM +0800, Robin Lee wrote:

> RL> Hi, all I want to follow the route [1] to bring up a new
> RL> packager.
>
> Then why not follow the procedure you referenced? *It tells you what to
> do, which involves opening a ticket in the appropriate trac instance.
>
> *- J<
>
> It is just the beginning at this moment. The candidate packager is still
> learning RPM packaging* and below level that can be sponsored.
>
> I just thought that the 'newpackager' is the group for such kind of new
> contributors. People in this group can have access to limited group of packages
> and cannot own any package. But, after all, the group is not existing.
>
> So, that means new willing contributors can only co-maintain the package by
> sending patches and filing bugs, instead of having direct commit privilege to
> the Git repo?

Not at all.

If you are willing to mentor the new packager, then they can be sponsored
into the packager group.

If you are not a sponsor yourself, you open a ticket in fesco's trac stating
who you'd like to have sponosred and that you will be mentoring them as they
comaintain which package with you.

-Toshio

Old 09-29-2012, 06:00 AM
Robin Lee

On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 1:32 PM, Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 12:24:40PM +0800, Robin Lee wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 12:02 PM, Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs@math.uh.edu>

> wrote:

> * * >>>>> "RL" == Robin Lee <cheeselee@fedoraproject.org> writes:

> * * RL> Hi, all I want to follow the route [1] to bring up a new

> * * RL> packager.

> * * Then why not follow the procedure you referenced? *It tells you what to

> * * do, which involves opening a ticket in the appropriate trac instance.

> * * *- J<

> It is just the beginning at this moment. The candidate packager is still

> learning RPM packaging* and below level that can be sponsored.

> I just thought that the 'newpackager' is the group for such kind of new

> contributors. People in this group can have access to limited group of packages

> and cannot own any package. But, after all, the group is not existing.

> So, that means new willing contributors can only co-maintain the package by

> sending patches and filing bugs, instead of having direct commit privilege to

> the Git repo?

Not at all.

If you are willing to mentor the new packager, then they can be sponsored

into the packager group.

If you are not a sponsor yourself, you open a ticket in fesco's trac stating

who you'd like to have sponosred and that you will be mentoring them as they

comaintain which package with you.

-Toshio
At this moment I don't approve him to be sponsored.
So at this moment, can he only send patches to me to co-maintain the package? Can he have git commit privilege to that single package?

robin

Old 09-29-2012, 06:56 AM
Toshio Kuratomi

On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 02:00:36PM +0800, Robin Lee wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 1:32 PM, Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 12:24:40PM +0800, Robin Lee wrote:
> > On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 12:02 PM, Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs@math.uh.edu
> >
> > wrote:
> >
> > * * >>>>> "RL" == Robin Lee <cheeselee@fedoraproject.org> writes:
> >
> > * * RL> Hi, all I want to follow the route [1] to bring up a new
> > * * RL> packager.
> >
> > * * Then why not follow the procedure you referenced? *It tells you what
> > * * do, which involves opening a ticket in the appropriate trac instance.
> >
> > * * *- J<
> >
> > It is just the beginning at this moment. The candidate packager is still
> > learning RPM packaging* and below level that can be sponsored.
> >
> > I just thought that the 'newpackager' is the group for such kind of new
> > contributors. People in this group can have access to limited group of
> packages
> > and cannot own any package. But, after all, the group is not existing.
> >
> > So, that means new willing contributors can only co-maintain the package
> by
> > sending patches and filing bugs, instead of having direct commit
> privilege to
> > the Git repo?
> >
> Not at all.
>
> If you are willing to mentor the new packager, then they can be sponsored
> into the packager group.
>
> If you are not a sponsor yourself, you open a ticket in fesco's trac
> stating
> who you'd like to have sponosred and that you will be mentoring them as
> they
> comaintain which package with you.
>
> -Toshio
>
> At this moment I don't approve him to be sponsored.
> So at this moment, can he only send patches to me to co-maintain the package?

If you're unwilling to mentor him, then that is correct.

> Can he have git commit privilege to that single package?

People in the packager group only have commit privileges to the packages
that they own or have been granted the commit acl on. So if he is in
packager and only has commit acls on that single package then that's all
that he'll have access to.

-Toshio

Old 09-29-2012, 07:09 AM
Robin Lee

On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 2:56 PM, Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 02:00:36PM +0800, Robin Lee wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 1:32 PM, Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger@gmail.com> wrote:

> * * On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 12:24:40PM +0800, Robin Lee wrote:

> * * > On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 12:02 PM, Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs@math.uh.edu

> * * >

> * * > wrote:

> * * >

> * * > * * >>>>> "RL" == Robin Lee <cheeselee@fedoraproject.org> writes:

> * * >

> * * > * * RL> Hi, all I want to follow the route [1] to bring up a new

> * * > * * RL> packager.

> * * >

> * * > * * Then why not follow the procedure you referenced? *It tells you what

> * * > * * do, which involves opening a ticket in the appropriate trac instance.

> * * >

> * * > * * *- J<

> * * >

> * * > It is just the beginning at this moment. The candidate packager is still

> * * > learning RPM packaging* and below level that can be sponsored.

> * * >

> * * > I just thought that the 'newpackager' is the group for such kind of new

> * * > contributors. People in this group can have access to limited group of

> * * packages

> * * > and cannot own any package. But, after all, the group is not existing.

> * * >

> * * > So, that means new willing contributors can only co-maintain the package

> * * by

> * * > sending patches and filing bugs, instead of having direct commit

> * * privilege to

> * * > the Git repo?

> * * >

> * * Not at all.

> * * If you are willing to mentor the new packager, then they can be sponsored

> * * into the packager group.

> * * If you are not a sponsor yourself, you open a ticket in fesco's trac

> * * stating

> * * who you'd like to have sponosred and that you will be mentoring them as

> * * they

> * * comaintain which package with you.

> * * -Toshio

> At this moment I don't approve him to be sponsored.

> So at this moment, can he only send patches to me to co-maintain the package?

If you're unwilling to mentor him, then that is correct.
OK. I am willing, but he is newbie and may give up a moment later.