Old 04-14-2008, 08:35 PM
Orion Poplawski

Default Desktop agnostic icon themes?

I package gv, a Xaw3d based postscript viewer. In currently I ship a
.desktop file that uses the following icon:

Icon=postscript-viewer.png

which is apparently part of gnome-themes. I actually use KDE, and with
F9 KDE is no longer displaying the icon for gv even though gnome-themes
is installed. Now this may very well be a bug in KDE, but I'm also
wondering if there is a desktop agnostic set of icons that could be used
for programs like this?

I also just now found that gv does have a xbm icon in the package that I
might be able to use. Any pointers?

Thanks!

--
Orion Poplawski
Technical Manager 303-415-9701 x222

Old 04-15-2008, 07:37 AM
Lubomir Kundrak

On Mon, 2008-04-14 at 14:35 -0600, Orion Poplawski wrote:
> I package gv, a Xaw3d based postscript viewer. In currently I ship a
> .desktop file that uses the following icon:
>
> Icon=postscript-viewer.png
>
> which is apparently part of gnome-themes. I actually use KDE, and with
> F9 KDE is no longer displaying the icon for gv even though gnome-themes
> is installed. Now this may very well be a bug in KDE, but I'm also
> wondering if there is a desktop agnostic set of icons that could be used
> for programs like this?
>
> I also just now found that gv does have a xbm icon in the package that I
> might be able to use. Any pointers?

Icon Theme Specification [1] might be of your interest. It describes
algorithm used to locate the icon file. At the very least you will find
out that you need to remove the ".png" suffix. In case that won't help
you might be subject to a bug, depending to where the icon file is
located.

[1] http://standards.freedesktop.org/icon-theme-spec/icon-theme-spec-latest.html