Old 04-13-2008, 12:04 PM
Neal Becker

Default ksquirrel license question

I'm interested in packaging ksquirrel. COPYING says:

* KSuirrel is under GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE (see LICENSE)
* KSquirrel statically links against fmt_filters. See fmt_filters_README for more.
* some functions in SQ_GLWidget (see source code for more) are based on
original code by (C) Guillaume Chazarain <guichaz@yahoo.fr> in his great GLiv
project (under GPL).
* "broken" pixmap was taken from the "Nuvola" icon theme for KDE.
* SQ_CategoryMenuBrowser is based on PanelBrowserMenu by (C) Matthias Elter
from kde-3.2.3. See ksquirrel/sidebar/sq_categorybrowsermenu.h for more.
* documenation for KSquirrel is under GFDL, see LICENSE.GFDL
* some files in admin/ are under LGPL, see LICENSE.LGPL
* SQ_GLU namespace is under LGPL, see LICENSE.LGPL

Acceptable?

Old 04-13-2008, 02:54 PM
Dan Horák

Neal Becker p*še v Ne 13. 04. 2008 v 08:04 -0400:
> I'm interested in packaging ksquirrel. COPYING says:

are these KDE binding for the Squirrel language
(http://squirrel-lang.org/default.aspx)? I have prepared a package for
the plain Squirrel libs and shell at http://fedora.danny.cz

Dan

Old 04-13-2008, 03:06 PM
Neal Becker

Dan Horák wrote:

> Neal Becker p*še v Ne 13. 04. 2008 v 08:04 -0400:
>> I'm interested in packaging ksquirrel. COPYING says:
>
> are these KDE binding for the Squirrel language
> (http://squirrel-lang.org/default.aspx)? I have prepared a package for
> the plain Squirrel libs and shell at http://fedora.danny.cz
>

> Dan

No.

Old 04-13-2008, 06:18 PM
Kevin Kofler

Neal Becker <ndbecker2 <at> gmail.com> writes:
> * KSuirrel is under GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE (see LICENSE)

This is OK.

> * KSquirrel statically links against fmt_filters. See fmt_filters_README for
> more.

| Copyrights:
|

| * redeye
| --------
|
| Red-eye removal was taken from "redeye" plugin for GIMP
|
| /* redeye.c: redeye remover plugin code
| *
| * Copyright (C) 2004 Robert Merkel <robert.merkel@benambra.org>
| (the "Author").
| * All Rights Reserved.
| *
| * Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a
| * copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"),
| * to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation
| * the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense,
| * and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the
| * Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
| *
| * The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included
| * in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
| *
| * THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS
| * OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF
| MERCHANTABILITY,
| * FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL
| * THE AUTHOR BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER
| * IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN
| * CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.
| *
| * Except as contained in this notice, the name of the Author of the
| * Software shall not be used in advertising or otherwise to promote the
| * sale, use or other dealings in this Software without prior written
| * authorization from the Author.
| */

The first 3 paragraphs match the "Modern Style with sublicense" variant of:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing/MIT
(except that the warranty disclaimer only has "AUTHOR" instead of "AUTHORS OR
COPYRIGHT HOLDERS").
The 4th (last) paragraph matches the last paragraph of the "Modern Style
without sublicense (Unicode)" variant.
Therefore, I believe this is OK and GPL-compatible.

| * most image processing filters ported from KImageEffect (KDE project,
| http://kde.org)
|
| /* This file is part of the KDE libraries
| Copyright (C) 1998, 1999, 2001, 2002 Daniel M. Duley <mosfet@kde.org>
| (C) 1998, 1999 Christian Tibirna <ctibirna@total.net>
| (C) 1998, 1999 Dirk A. Mueller <mueller@kde.org>
| (C) 1999 Geert Jansen <g.t.jansen@stud.tue.nl>
| (C) 2000 Josef Weidendorfer <weidendo@in.tum.de>
|
| Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
| modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions
| are met:
|
| 1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
| notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
| 2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
| notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
| documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
|
| THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE AUTHOR ``AS IS' AND ANY EXPRESS OR
| IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES
| OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED.
| IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHOR BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT,
| INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT
| NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE,
| DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY
| THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT
| (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF
| THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
|
| */

This matches:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing/BSD#2ClauseBSD
(except that "FREEBSD PROJECT" has been replaced by "AUTHOR" in the warranty
disclaimer, "OR CONTRIBUTORS" is not mentioned in the warranty disclaimer and
the last paragraph about "views and conclusions" in the FreeBSD license is not
present here).
This is OK and GPL-compatible.

> * some functions in SQ_GLWidget (see source code for more) are based on
> original code by (C) Guillaume Chazarain <guichaz <at> yahoo.fr> in his
> great GLiv project (under GPL).

This is OK.

> * "broken" pixmap was taken from the "Nuvola" icon theme for KDE.

Nuvola is LGPL according to:
http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php/Nuvola?content=5358
That's OK and GPL-compatible.

> * SQ_CategoryMenuBrowser is based on PanelBrowserMenu by (C) Matthias Elter
> from kde-3.2.3. See ksquirrel/sidebar/sq_categorybrowsermenu.h for more.

| Copyright (c) 2001 Matthias Elter <elter@kde.org>
|
| Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy
| of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal
| in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights
| to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell
| copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is
| furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
|
| The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in
| all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
|
| THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR
| IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,
| FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE
| AUTHORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN
| AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN
| CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.

Matches http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing/MIT ("Modern Style with
sublicense" variant, except "OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS" missing from the warranty
disclaimer).

This is OK and GPL-compatible.

> * documenation for KSquirrel is under GFDL, see LICENSE.GFDL

This is OK (not GPL-compatible, but that's OK for documentation).

> * some files in admin/ are under LGPL, see LICENSE.LGPL

This is OK and GPL-compatible.

> * SQ_GLU namespace is under LGPL, see LICENSE.LGPL

This is OK and GPL-compatible.

> Acceptable?

Looks like it. The License tag will be a mess (it'll have something like "GPLv2
and LGPLv2 and MIT and BSD and GFDL", I'll let you figure out what's
GPLv2/LGPLv2 and what's GPLv2+/LGPLv2+), but that's pretty common
unfortunately.

Kevin Kofler

Old 04-13-2008, 08:21 PM
Neal Becker

ksquirrel needs ksquirrel-libs, which says:

* ksquirrel-libs is under GNU LIBRARY GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE (see LICENSE), except the following parts:

* JBIG library statically links against jbig-kit (which is under GPL, see LICENSE.GPL) by (C) Markus Kuhn
* MNG dynamically links against libmng, see LICENSE.MNG for more
* LJPEG library statically uses ljpg, see LICENSE.LJPEG for more
* DDS plugin is taken from KImageIO plugin from kdelibs 3.4.0 (which is under GPL)
* EPS plugin is taken from KImageIO plugin from kdelibs 3.4.0 (which is under LGPL)
* PSP plugin is taken from DevIL (which is under LGPL)
* TTF library dynamically links against libfreetype, and
statically uses ftview from ftdemos-2.1.10, there are no LICENSE issues
in ftdemos package, but it is still copyrighted
Copyright 1996-2000, 2003, 2004, 2005 by
(C) D. Turner, R.Wilhelm, and W. Lemberg

NOTE: No license but copyright? OK?

* XCF library statically uses xcf2pnm (which is under GPL)
* PNG library uses its own version of libpng to support APNG images, see LICENSE.PNG

other issues:
* DJVU library uses "ddjvu" executable (via fork) from http://djvu.sf.net
* DXF library uses "vec2web" executable (via fork) from http://ribbonsoft.org
* TIFF library dynamically links against libtiff
* GIF library dynamically links against libungif
* JPEG library dynamically links against libjpeg
* PNG library dynamically links against libpng
* WMF library dynamically links against libwmf
* OPENEXR library dynamically links against OpenEXR libraries
* JPEG2000 library dynamically links against jasper, most code in this library
was taken from jasper.c from jasper distribution, which is under JASPER LICENSE,
see LICENSE.JASPER for more
* SVG library uses "rsvg-convert" executable (via fork)
* CAMERA library installs its own dcraw version 8.79. dcraw is by (C) Dave Coffin,
which is free redistributable if no source code modification were applied:

/*
dcraw.c -- Dave Coffin's raw photo decoder
Copyright 1997-2007 by Dave Coffin, dcoffin a cybercom o net

This is a command-line ANSI C program to convert raw photos from
any digital camera on any computer running any operating system.

No license is required to download and use dcraw.c. However,
to lawfully redistribute dcraw, you must either (a) offer, at
no extra charge, full source code* for all executable files
containing RESTRICTED functions, (b) distribute this code under
the GPL Version 2 or later, (c) remove all RESTRICTED functions,
re-implement them, or copy them from an earlier, unrestricted
Revision of dcraw.c, or (d) purchase a license from the author.

The functions that process Foveon images have been RESTRICTED
since Revision 1.237. All other code remains free for all uses.

*If you have not modified dcraw.c in any way, a link to my
homepage qualifies as "full source code".

$Revision: 1.394 $
$Date: 2007/11/04 02:18:54 $
*/

And here is dcraw home page: http://cybercom.net/~dcoffin/dcraw/

NOTE: wow - I wonder if it's worth the effort!