Old 11-19-2007, 05:08 PM
Thorsten Leemhuis

Default working with gnome project/other distros together on system tools

On 19.11.2007 18:28, David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-11-19 at 15:06 +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>> Just wondering: Why don't we work towards getting some sane config tools
>> (seperated in UI, logic, ...) close to Gnome (and KDE, should there be
>> interest)? Sure, that way other distros will benefit from out work as
>> well, but on the other hand having stuff as de-facto part of Gnome and
>> used by other distros afaics lead to better tools and a better user
>> experience, which overall leads to a better "Linux".
> This is actually what we've been working on in the RH/Fedora desktop
> team for quite some time. The mantra here, as you point out, is both
> "upstream", proper separation of the user interface and the mechanism,
> access control and, ideally, integration with directory services such as
> the Fedora Directory Server.

Thx for this (and your work), and yeah, I was aware of that -- but from
the current discussion around the system-config-tools on this list I got
the impression that other people in Fedora-land work towards a different
direction.

> [...]
> In my opinion, the most important thing to fix with our remaining
> system-config-* tools is to get upstream buy-in (ideally merge it into
> GNOME/KDE/freedesktop.org/whatever), properly separate the UI from the
> mechanism and use things like PolicyKit for access control. Notably, Tim
> is doing a pretty good job here with s-c-printer; that's why Ubuntu got
> the best printing support on the planet :-) [1]

+1, especially for the s-c-printer part

Cu
knurd