Old 04-12-2008, 03:22 PM
Stanislav Polášek

Default kernel compile failure

Hello everybody. I just tried several times to recompile latest fedora kernel on my laptop (Lenovo t61) running latest rawhide, and it's a kind of sad experience. Everytime I try, the gcc reports segmentation fault and building stops. The same machine was able to recompile fedora 8 kernel (running fedora 8) without any problem, so I guess its not a hardware. Faults can occure at random parts of the tree, every time at a different place. I think I use the same compiler (gcc-4.3.0-6.x86_64) as the kernel builder, so I am wandering where actually can be the problem? Is anybody having similar troubles?

The command I use to recompile:
rpmbuild -bb --with baseonly --define 'dist .lwx' kernel.spec

Some of the segfaults (latest build):

crypto/tcrypt.c:1829: internal compiler error: Segmentation fault
Please submit a full bug report,
See <http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla> for instructions.
The bug is not reproducible, so it is likely a hardware or OS problem.
make[1]: *** [crypto/tcrypt.o] Error 1
make: *** [crypto] Error 2
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
-------
In file included from include/linux/bitmap.h:8,
from include/linux/cpumask.h:86,
from include/asm/processor.h:28,
from include/linux/prefetch.h:14,
from include/linux/list.h:8,
from include/linux/wait.h:22,
from include/linux/fs.h:275,
from fs/cifs/xattr.c:22:
include/linux/string.h:55: internal compiler error: Segmentation fault
Please submit a full bug report,
See <http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla> for instructions.
The bug is not reproducible, so it is likely a hardware or OS problem.
make[2]: *** [fs/cifs/xattr.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [fs/cifs] Error 2
make: *** [fs] Error 2
-------
drivers/char/drm/i915_dma.c: In function 'i915_dma_init':
drivers/char/drm/i915_dma.c:329: internal compiler error: Segmentation fault
Please submit a full bug report,
See <http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla> for instructions.
The bug is not reproducible, so it is likely a hardware or OS problem.
make[3]: *** [drivers/char/drm/i915_dma.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** [drivers/char/drm] Error 2
make[1]: *** [drivers/char] Error 2
make: *** [drivers] Error 2
------

Thanks!

Stanislav

Old 04-12-2008, 06:22 PM
Stanislav Polášek

One thing to add. When I switch off one core (in bios), the kernel compilation succeedes. No segfaults any more. Tested repeatedly. I have Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7300 @ 2.00GHz processor.

stanislav

Old 04-13-2008, 05:38 AM
Pete Zaitcev

On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 17:22:06 +0200, Stanislav Polášek <sp@linworx.cz> wrote:

> Hello everybody. I just tried several times to recompile latest
> fedora kernel on my laptop (Lenovo t61) running latest rawhide,
> and it's a kind of sad experience. Everytime I try, the gcc reports
> segmentation fault and building stops.

Time to run memtest86.

> The same machine was able to recompile fedora 8 kernel (running
> fedora 8) without any problem, so I guess its not a hardware. [...]

I've seen things fail right in the middle of an installation
before, so what this box did back then is interesting but not
a guarantee.

-- Pete

Old 04-13-2008, 09:55 AM
Stanislav Polášek

On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 10:38:00PM -0700, Pete Zaitcev wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 17:22:06 +0200, Stanislav Polášek <sp@linworx.cz> wrote:
>
> > Hello everybody. I just tried several times to recompile latest
> > fedora kernel on my laptop (Lenovo t61) running latest rawhide,
> > and it's a kind of sad experience. Everytime I try, the gcc reports
> > segmentation fault and building stops.
>
> Time to run memtest86.

And I did. No errors. But, when I switch off one core of the laptop processor, I can compile the kernel without problems. It is Core Duo T7300. Any idea what should I check now would be very helpfull.

> > The same machine was able to recompile fedora 8 kernel (running
> > fedora 8) without any problem, so I guess its not a hardware. [...]
>
> I've seen things fail right in the middle of an installation
> before, so what this box did back then is interesting but not
> a guarantee.
>
> -- Pete

Thank you.

Stanislav

Old 04-13-2008, 02:55 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 22:38:00 -0700,
Pete Zaitcev <zaitcev@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 17:22:06 +0200, Stanislav Polášek <sp@linworx.cz> wrote:
>
> > Hello everybody. I just tried several times to recompile latest
> > fedora kernel on my laptop (Lenovo t61) running latest rawhide,
> > and it's a kind of sad experience. Everytime I try, the gcc reports
> > segmentation fault and building stops.
>
> Time to run memtest86.

And check that the fans are running. I had a machine where a fan failed and
it mostly worked, but software builds starting failing in an inconsistant
manner.

Old 04-14-2008, 01:40 PM
Jarod Wilson