Old 04-12-2008, 03:12 AM
Louis E Garcia II

Default mkinitrd and encrypted devices

For fedora9 mkinitrd gives insmod errors with encrypted partitions
before asking for the paraphrase. I believe the cause is module naming.
Both modules aes.ko and sha256.ko were renamed in later kernels to
aes-generic.ko and sha256-generic.ko

padlock: VIA PadLock not detected
WARNING: Error inserting padlock_aes
(/lib/modules/2.6.25-0.218.rc8/git7.fc9.i686/padlock-aes.ko: No such
device
WARNING: Error inserting padlock_sha
(/lib/modules/2.6.25-0.218.rc8/git7.fc9.i686/padlock-sha.ko: No such
device

Though the modules load successfully it would be nice to get rid of
these.

-Louis

Old 04-12-2008, 03:31 AM
Andrew Farris

Louis E Garcia II wrote:

Though the modules load successfully it would be nice to get rid of
these.

I see them as well and confirm everything seems to be working fine anyway.

--
Andrew Farris <lordmorgul@gmail.com> www.lordmorgul.net
gpg 0x8300BF29 fingerprint 071D FFE0 4CBC 13FC 7DEB 5BD5 5F89 8E1B 8300 BF29

Old 04-12-2008, 03:33 AM
Andrew Farris

Andrew Farris wrote:

Louis E Garcia II wrote:

Though the modules load successfully it would be nice to get rid of
these.

I see them as well and confirm everything seems to be working fine anyway.

Btw I'm getting this with the 2.6.25-0.204.rc8.git4 kernel.

Old 04-12-2008, 02:19 PM
Jeremy Katz

On Fri, 2008-04-11 at 23:12 -0400, Louis E Garcia II wrote:
> For fedora9 mkinitrd gives insmod errors with encrypted partitions
> before asking for the paraphrase. I believe the cause is module naming.
> Both modules aes.ko and sha256.ko were renamed in later kernels to
> aes-generic.ko and sha256-generic.ko

No, the messages are because you're not running on a VIA chip and thus
don't have the hardware for doing the decryption and thus end up falling
back to using the software implementation for the crypto.

Jeremy