Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Fedora Development (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-development/)
-   -   How is the new networking world supposed to work? (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-development/68417-how-new-networking-world-supposed-work.html)

"Thomas J. Baker" 04-11-2008 11:37 PM

How is the new networking world supposed to work?
 
On Sat, 2008-04-12 at 01:16 +0200, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn wrote:
> Since the latest rawhide updates I now don't get a network connection after
> boot. I have to open a shell as root and issue a "ifdown eth0" followed by
> a "ifup eth0" to make the NetworkManager aware that there is a network out
> there. What is the proper way to configure this?
>
> Regards,
> Dennis
>

I have the same problem and restarting NetworkManager is another fix
that works for me.

Thanks,

tjb
--
================================================== =====================
| Thomas Baker email: tjb@unh.edu |
| Systems Programmer |
| Research Computing Center voice: (603) 862-4490 |
| University of New Hampshire fax: (603) 862-1761 |
| 332 Morse Hall |
| Durham, NH 03824 USA http://wintermute.sr.unh.edu/~tjb |
================================================== =====================

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list

"Alan" 04-11-2008 11:45 PM

How is the new networking world supposed to work?
 
> On Sat, 2008-04-12 at 01:16 +0200, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn wrote:
>> Since the latest rawhide updates I now don't get a network connection
>> after
>> boot. I have to open a shell as root and issue a "ifdown eth0" followed
>> by
>> a "ifup eth0" to make the NetworkManager aware that there is a network
>> out
>> there. What is the proper way to configure this?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Dennis
>>
>
> I have the same problem and restarting NetworkManager is another fix
> that works for me.

I have yet to get NetworkManager to use my wireless card. It does not see
any configurations, does not give me a way to create them, and general
acts like the card does not exist.

wlassistant works fine (until the last gpm braindamage). The card is
using the b43 driver with the latest firmware.


--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list

Andrew Farris 04-12-2008 01:13 AM

How is the new networking world supposed to work?
 
Alan wrote:

On Sat, 2008-04-12 at 01:16 +0200, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn wrote:

Since the latest rawhide updates I now don't get a network connection
after
boot. I have to open a shell as root and issue a "ifdown eth0" followed
by
a "ifup eth0" to make the NetworkManager aware that there is a network
out
there. What is the proper way to configure this?

Regards,
Dennis


I have the same problem and restarting NetworkManager is another fix
that works for me.


I have yet to get NetworkManager to use my wireless card. It does not see
any configurations, does not give me a way to create them, and general
acts like the card does not exist.

wlassistant works fine (until the last gpm braindamage). The card is
using the b43 driver with the latest firmware.


Have you tried using system-config-network to configure the adapter, and then
click the NetworkManager Controlled checkbox? I'm asking because my own
wireless card failed to be useful from NM until I did that (in fact it was
causing NM to crash when the service started). Now after I did configure it..
even if I remove all the configuration NM will still work fine. I'm unsure
whether it was a bug and was incidentally fixed, or if the configuration via
system-config-network did things I'm not reverting (but I don't think this is
the case).


Anyway, if you haven't tried that yet, configure it with the s-c-n tool then see
whether NM can handle it fine.


--
Andrew Farris <lordmorgul@gmail.com> www.lordmorgul.net
gpg 0x8300BF29 fingerprint 071D FFE0 4CBC 13FC 7DEB 5BD5 5F89 8E1B 8300 BF29

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list

Dan Williams 04-14-2008 02:40 PM

How is the new networking world supposed to work?
 
On Fri, 2008-04-11 at 18:13 -0700, Andrew Farris wrote:
> Alan wrote:
> >> On Sat, 2008-04-12 at 01:16 +0200, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn wrote:
> >>> Since the latest rawhide updates I now don't get a network connection
> >>> after
> >>> boot. I have to open a shell as root and issue a "ifdown eth0" followed
> >>> by
> >>> a "ifup eth0" to make the NetworkManager aware that there is a network
> >>> out
> >>> there. What is the proper way to configure this?
> >>>
> >>> Regards,
> >>> Dennis
> >>>
> >> I have the same problem and restarting NetworkManager is another fix
> >> that works for me.
> >
> > I have yet to get NetworkManager to use my wireless card. It does not see
> > any configurations, does not give me a way to create them, and general
> > acts like the card does not exist.
> >
> > wlassistant works fine (until the last gpm braindamage). The card is
> > using the b43 driver with the latest firmware.
>
> Have you tried using system-config-network to configure the adapter, and then
> click the NetworkManager Controlled checkbox? I'm asking because my own
> wireless card failed to be useful from NM until I did that (in fact it was
> causing NM to crash when the service started). Now after I did configure it..
> even if I remove all the configuration NM will still work fine. I'm unsure
> whether it was a bug and was incidentally fixed, or if the configuration via
> system-config-network did things I'm not reverting (but I don't think this is
> the case).
>
> Anyway, if you haven't tried that yet, configure it with the s-c-n tool then see
> whether NM can handle it fine.

NM will look in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ for ifcfg files that are
there, and use those if found. However, the files must not have
NM_CONTROLLED=no in them, because that tells NM not to manage the
interface. At least at one point, system-config-network would add
NM_CONTROLLED=no by default when it edited a configuration that didn't
have that tag in it already, which caught a few people by surprise.

Dan


--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list

Dan Williams 04-14-2008 02:40 PM

How is the new networking world supposed to work?
 
On Sat, 2008-04-12 at 01:16 +0200, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn wrote:
> Since the latest rawhide updates I now don't get a network connection after
> boot. I have to open a shell as root and issue a "ifdown eth0" followed by
> a "ifup eth0" to make the NetworkManager aware that there is a network out
> there. What is the proper way to configure this?

Which specific version of NM?

What ifcfg-* files are in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts ?

Do any of those files have "NM_CONTROLLED=no" in them?

When you run "/usr/bin/nm-tool" what does it say?

Dan

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list

Dennis Jacobfeuerborn 04-15-2008 11:50 PM

How is the new networking world supposed to work?
 
Dan Williams wrote:

On Sat, 2008-04-12 at 01:16 +0200, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn wrote:

Since the latest rawhide updates I now don't get a network connection after
boot. I have to open a shell as root and issue a "ifdown eth0" followed by
a "ifup eth0" to make the NetworkManager aware that there is a network out
there. What is the proper way to configure this?


Which specific version of NM?


NetworkManager-0.7.0-0.9.1.svn3549.fc9.i386


What ifcfg-* files are in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts ?
Do any of those files have "NM_CONTROLLED=no" in them?


Besides the one for "lo" there are only config files for eth0 and eth1.

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0:
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
HWADDR=00:13:8F:D9:B8:9C
ONBOOT=yes
DHCP_HOSTNAME=nexus
TYPE=Ethernet
USERCTL=no
PEERDNS=no
IPV6INIT=no
NETWORKMANAGER=yes
NM_CONTROLLED=yes

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1:
DEVICE=eth1
BOOTPROTO=none
HWADDR=00:50:04:49:E0:EC
IPADDR=192.168.1.1
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
ONBOOT=no
TYPE=Ethernet



When you run "/usr/bin/nm-tool" what does it say?


This is what it says after the ifdown=>ifup:

NetworkManager Tool

State: connected

- Device: eth0 ----------------------------------------------------------------
Type: Wired
Driver: forcedeth
State: connected
HW Address: 00:00:00:00:00:00

Capabilities:
Supported: yes
Carrier Detect: yes
Speed: 100 Mb/s

Wired Settings

IP Settings:
IP Address: 192.168.2.100
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Broadcast: 192.168.2.255
Gateway: 192.168.2.1
DNS: 195.50.140.178
DNS: 195.50.140.114
DNS: 192.168.2.1


- Device: eth1 ----------------------------------------------------------------
Type: Wired
Driver: 3c59x
State: unavailable
HW Address: 00:50:04:49:E0:EC

Capabilities:
Supported: yes
Carrier Detect: yes
Speed: 10 Mb/s

Wired Settings

(I've added "prepend domain-name-servers 195.50.140.178, 195.50.140.114;"
to dhclient-eth0.conf so I get decent nameservers in resolv.conf)


Regards,
Dennis

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list

Dan Williams 04-20-2008 04:05 PM

How is the new networking world supposed to work?
 
On Wed, 2008-04-16 at 01:50 +0200, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn wrote:
> Dan Williams wrote:
> > On Sat, 2008-04-12 at 01:16 +0200, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn wrote:
> >> Since the latest rawhide updates I now don't get a network connection after
> >> boot. I have to open a shell as root and issue a "ifdown eth0" followed by
> >> a "ifup eth0" to make the NetworkManager aware that there is a network out
> >> there. What is the proper way to configure this?
> >
> > Which specific version of NM?
>
> NetworkManager-0.7.0-0.9.1.svn3549.fc9.i386
>
> > What ifcfg-* files are in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts ?
> > Do any of those files have "NM_CONTROLLED=no" in them?
>
> Besides the one for "lo" there are only config files for eth0 and eth1.
>
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0:
> DEVICE=eth0
> BOOTPROTO=dhcp
> HWADDR=00:13:8F:D9:B8:9C
> ONBOOT=yes
> DHCP_HOSTNAME=nexus
> TYPE=Ethernet
> USERCTL=no
> PEERDNS=no
> IPV6INIT=no
> NETWORKMANAGER=yes
> NM_CONTROLLED=yes
>
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1:
> DEVICE=eth1
> BOOTPROTO=none
> HWADDR=00:50:04:49:E0:EC
> IPADDR=192.168.1.1
> NETMASK=255.255.255.0
> ONBOOT=no
> TYPE=Ethernet
>
>
> > When you run "/usr/bin/nm-tool" what does it say?
>
> This is what it says after the ifdown=>ifup:
>
> NetworkManager Tool
>
> State: connected
>
> - Device: eth0 ----------------------------------------------------------------
> Type: Wired
> Driver: forcedeth
> State: connected
> HW Address: 00:00:00:00:00:00

I've seen this once and not been able to reproduce; there might be a
race between bringing up the card and getting a valid MAC address since
sometimes the MAC can't be read until firmware is loaded and booted, but
that's usually only an issue with wireless cards since wired devices
don't usually have firmware.

> Capabilities:
> Supported: yes
> Carrier Detect: yes
> Speed: 100 Mb/s
>
> Wired Settings
>
> IP Settings:
> IP Address: 192.168.2.100
> Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
> Broadcast: 192.168.2.255
> Gateway: 192.168.2.1
> DNS: 195.50.140.178
> DNS: 195.50.140.114
> DNS: 192.168.2.1
>
>
> - Device: eth1 ----------------------------------------------------------------
> Type: Wired
> Driver: 3c59x
> State: unavailable
> HW Address: 00:50:04:49:E0:EC

This is the interesting part; and also something I've seen once in
conjunction with the issues above. The "unavailable" state for wired
devices usually means NM can't detect a carrier for that card. In your
case though, NM seems to think it does support carrier detection, since
it responds correctly to either MII register accesses or ethtool
queries.

What's the contents of /sys/class/net/eth1/carrier both when the cable
is plugged in and when it's not plugged in?

> Capabilities:
> Supported: yes
> Carrier Detect: yes
> Speed: 10 Mb/s
>
> Wired Settings
>
> (I've added "prepend domain-name-servers 195.50.140.178, 195.50.140.114;"
> to dhclient-eth0.conf so I get decent nameservers in resolv.conf)

You can also set DNS1 and DNS2 into your ifcfg files. That's a bit
easier...

Dan


--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list

Dennis Jacobfeuerborn 04-21-2008 12:26 AM

How is the new networking world supposed to work?
 
Dan Williams wrote:

- Device: eth0 ----------------------------------------------------------------
Type: Wired
Driver: forcedeth
State: connected
HW Address: 00:00:00:00:00:00


I've seen this once and not been able to reproduce; there might be a
race between bringing up the card and getting a valid MAC address since
sometimes the MAC can't be read until firmware is loaded and booted, but
that's usually only an issue with wireless cards since wired devices
don't usually have firmware.


I actually managed to fix my problem by disabling the "network" service. I
guess the remaining question is why the interface ends up in a b0rked state
when it is first brought up by "network" and then taken over by NM. Should
"network" actually bring the interface up if the config file says
"NM_CONTROLLED=yes"?


I think it would be useful to define the semantics when both services are
started. Should there be two sets of interfaces determined by NM_CONTROLLED
and each service only caring for its "own" so that they don't collide or
should this work like an override mechanism where one service takes over
interfaces from the service that ran before?



Capabilities:
Supported: yes
Carrier Detect: yes
Speed: 100 Mb/s

Wired Settings

IP Settings:
IP Address: 192.168.2.100
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Broadcast: 192.168.2.255
Gateway: 192.168.2.1
DNS: 195.50.140.178
DNS: 195.50.140.114
DNS: 192.168.2.1


- Device: eth1 ----------------------------------------------------------------
Type: Wired
Driver: 3c59x
State: unavailable
HW Address: 00:50:04:49:E0:EC


This is the interesting part; and also something I've seen once in
conjunction with the issues above. The "unavailable" state for wired
devices usually means NM can't detect a carrier for that card. In your
case though, NM seems to think it does support carrier detection, since
it responds correctly to either MII register accesses or ethtool
queries.


eth1 isn't connected so the "unavailable" state is correct. That interface
isn't used at all.



Capabilities:
Supported: yes
Carrier Detect: yes
Speed: 10 Mb/s

Wired Settings

(I've added "prepend domain-name-servers 195.50.140.178, 195.50.140.114;"
to dhclient-eth0.conf so I get decent nameservers in resolv.conf)


You can also set DNS1 and DNS2 into your ifcfg files. That's a bit
easier...


Indeed, thanks for the tip.

Regards,
Dennis

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list

Dan Williams 04-21-2008 01:44 AM

How is the new networking world supposed to work?
 
On Mon, 2008-04-21 at 02:26 +0200, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn wrote:
> Dan Williams wrote:
> >> - Device: eth0 ----------------------------------------------------------------
> >> Type: Wired
> >> Driver: forcedeth
> >> State: connected
> >> HW Address: 00:00:00:00:00:00
> >
> > I've seen this once and not been able to reproduce; there might be a
> > race between bringing up the card and getting a valid MAC address since
> > sometimes the MAC can't be read until firmware is loaded and booted, but
> > that's usually only an issue with wireless cards since wired devices
> > don't usually have firmware.
>
> I actually managed to fix my problem by disabling the "network" service. I
> guess the remaining question is why the interface ends up in a b0rked state
> when it is first brought up by "network" and then taken over by NM. Should
> "network" actually bring the interface up if the config file says
> "NM_CONTROLLED=yes"?

No, it probably should not do anything if NM is running.

> I think it would be useful to define the semantics when both services are
> started. Should there be two sets of interfaces determined by NM_CONTROLLED
> and each service only caring for its "own" so that they don't collide or
> should this work like an override mechanism where one service takes over
> interfaces from the service that ran before?

If NM_CONTROLLED=yes and NM is running, only NM should manage the
device. If NM is not running or if NM_CONTROLLED=no, then it's probably
fine for the network service to touch the device.

Dan

> >> Capabilities:
> >> Supported: yes
> >> Carrier Detect: yes
> >> Speed: 100 Mb/s
> >>
> >> Wired Settings
> >>
> >> IP Settings:
> >> IP Address: 192.168.2.100
> >> Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
> >> Broadcast: 192.168.2.255
> >> Gateway: 192.168.2.1
> >> DNS: 195.50.140.178
> >> DNS: 195.50.140.114
> >> DNS: 192.168.2.1
> >>
> >>
> >> - Device: eth1 ----------------------------------------------------------------
> >> Type: Wired
> >> Driver: 3c59x
> >> State: unavailable
> >> HW Address: 00:50:04:49:E0:EC
> >
> > This is the interesting part; and also something I've seen once in
> > conjunction with the issues above. The "unavailable" state for wired
> > devices usually means NM can't detect a carrier for that card. In your
> > case though, NM seems to think it does support carrier detection, since
> > it responds correctly to either MII register accesses or ethtool
> > queries.
>
> eth1 isn't connected so the "unavailable" state is correct. That interface
> isn't used at all.
>
> >> Capabilities:
> >> Supported: yes
> >> Carrier Detect: yes
> >> Speed: 10 Mb/s
> >>
> >> Wired Settings
> >>
> >> (I've added "prepend domain-name-servers 195.50.140.178, 195.50.140.114;"
> >> to dhclient-eth0.conf so I get decent nameservers in resolv.conf)
> >
> > You can also set DNS1 and DNS2 into your ifcfg files. That's a bit
> > easier...
>
> Indeed, thanks for the tip.
>
> Regards,
> Dennis
>

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list

Dennis Jacobfeuerborn 04-22-2008 12:07 AM

How is the new networking world supposed to work?
 
Dan Williams wrote:

On Mon, 2008-04-21 at 02:26 +0200, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn wrote:

Dan Williams wrote:

- Device: eth0 ----------------------------------------------------------------
Type: Wired
Driver: forcedeth
State: connected
HW Address: 00:00:00:00:00:00

I've seen this once and not been able to reproduce; there might be a
race between bringing up the card and getting a valid MAC address since
sometimes the MAC can't be read until firmware is loaded and booted, but
that's usually only an issue with wireless cards since wired devices
don't usually have firmware.

I actually managed to fix my problem by disabling the "network" service. I
guess the remaining question is why the interface ends up in a b0rked state
when it is first brought up by "network" and then taken over by NM. Should
"network" actually bring the interface up if the config file says
"NM_CONTROLLED=yes"?


No, it probably should not do anything if NM is running.


I think it would be useful to define the semantics when both services are
started. Should there be two sets of interfaces determined by NM_CONTROLLED
and each service only caring for its "own" so that they don't collide or
should this work like an override mechanism where one service takes over
interfaces from the service that ran before?


If NM_CONTROLLED=yes and NM is running, only NM should manage the
device. If NM is not running or if NM_CONTROLLED=no, then it's probably
fine for the network service to touch the device.


I don't think it's a good idea to have services "probably" do certain
things. What I was aiming at was that the behavior should be defined
unambiguously and be documented in /usr/share/doc/initscripts-*/sysconfig.txt.


Apparently NM has problems taking over devices that have been initialized
by "networks" so either that needs to be fixed or "networks" should not
initialize a device in the first place when NM_CONTROLLED is "yes".
That is the behavior I would favor as that allows me to explicitly define
which service controls which devices and would probably simplify the
services since they wouldn't have to bother with "taking over" devices from
each other.



(I've added "prepend domain-name-servers 195.50.140.178, 195.50.140.114;"
to dhclient-eth0.conf so I get decent nameservers in resolv.conf)

You can also set DNS1 and DNS2 into your ifcfg files. That's a bit
easier...

Indeed, thanks for the tip.


Actually after rebooting the machine that doesn't work. NM seems to
disregard the PEERDNS=no setting and sets up the first DNS from DHCP
anyway. DNS1 gets added as second nameserver and DNS2 doesn't show up in
resolv.conf at all.


Regards,
Dennis

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:39 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.