Old 11-19-2007, 04:57 PM
"Richard W.M. Jones"

Default yum groups (was: RPM groups)

Jesse Keating wrote:

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 10:23:56 -0700
"Jerry James" <loganjerry@gmail.com> wrote:

Look in /usr/share/doc/rpm-{version number}/GROUPS for a list. I
remember seeing a wiki page that listed all group names in actual
use, but I can't find it now.

There are quite a few packages in the Development/Libraries/Java
group. Why isn't that group in the list?

The FPC has mostly ignored the Groups tag. It's not used by yum, and
thus all the tools based upon yum (pirut, anaconda, pungi, repoview,
etc...) We strongly feel that grouping and tagging belongs outside of
the package itself (so that other people can group them as necessary
without rebuilding them, etc...) and thus we focus on having
appropriate grouping in comps, our current external grouping tool.

OK. Someone asked me to put virt-top in the Base System /
Virtualization group (in pup) [1]. This is what prompted the original
question, because I don't know how to do this.

It seems like the groups listed by "yum grouplist" are similar to the
ones in pup (but not hierarchical). Meanwhile the groups listed in
/usr/share/doc/rpm-*/GROUPS are completely different.

Reading around this it seems like the yumgroups.xml file in the
repository controls this (although the Fedora repos don't seem to have
this file -- perhaps it's been renamed?). So I guess my question is
what controls what packages are in what groups?

Rich.

[1]
http://redhat.download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/8/Fedora/i386/os/repoview/virtualization.group.html

Street, Windsor, Berkshire, SL4 1TE, United Kingdom. Registered in

Old 11-19-2007, 05:35 PM
Jesse Keating

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 17:57:35 +0000
"Richard W.M. Jones" <rjones@redhat.com> wrote:

> Reading around this it seems like the yumgroups.xml file in the
> repository controls this (although the Fedora repos don't seem to
> have this file -- perhaps it's been renamed?). So I guess my
> question is what controls what packages are in what groups?

Comps.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/CompsXml
--
Jesse Keating