-   -   Orphaning my packages (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-development/67758-orphaning-my-packages.html)

"David Nielsen" 04-10-2008 07:42 PM

Orphaning my packages

Lately Fedora has gone in a direction I don't much agree with so I will be doing the honorable thing and departing the project rather than hindering it's progress. As a result the following packages are up for grabs:

banshee --
easily import, manage, and play selections from your music collection
beagle --
The Beagle Search Infrastructure
gnome-do --
Quick launch and search
ipod-sharp --
Support for high level features of Apple's iPod
libipoddevice --
Device-specific layer for the Apple iPod
ndesk-dbus --
Managed C# implementation of DBus
ndesk-dbus-glib --
Provides glib mainloop integration for ndesk-dbus
podsleuth --
Probes, identifies, and exposes properties and metadata bound to iPods

A warm thank you to those who should elect to give these new homes.

- David

drago01 04-10-2008 07:46 PM

Orphaning my packages

2008/4/10 David Nielsen <gnomeuser@gmail.com>:
> Lately Fedora has gone in a direction I don't much agree with so I will be
> doing the honorable thing and departing the project rather than hindering
> it's progress. As a result the following packages are up for grabs:

care to explain ? what exactly happened that you think is wrong?

seth vidal 04-10-2008 07:50 PM

Orphaning my packages

On Thu, 2008-04-10 at 21:46 +0200, drago01 wrote:
> 2008/4/10 David Nielsen <gnomeuser@gmail.com>:
> > Lately Fedora has gone in a direction I don't much agree with so I will be
> > doing the honorable thing and departing the project rather than hindering
> > it's progress. As a result the following packages are up for grabs:
>
> care to explain ? what exactly happened that you think is wrong?

He's explained on his blog, we don't need to dredge that back up on this
mailing list, imo.

-sv

--
I only speak for me.

Warren Togami 04-10-2008 07:55 PM

Orphaning my packages

David Nielsen wrote:
Lately Fedora has gone in a direction I don't much agree with so I will
be doing the honorable thing and departing the project rather than
hindering it's progress. As a result the following packages are up for
grabs:

Hi,

If it is your decision to quit Fedora we respect your decision. But I
hope that could you please explain what you dislike about the direction
of Fedora so that we may try to work on it?

Warren Togami
wtogami@redhat.com

"David Nielsen" 04-10-2008 07:55 PM

Orphaning my packages

2008/4/10, drago01 <drago01@gmail.com>:
2008/4/10 David Nielsen <gnomeuser@gmail.com>:

> Lately Fedora has gone in a direction I don't much agree with so I will be
> doing the honorable thing and departing the project rather than hindering

> it's progress. As a result the following packages are up for grabs:

care to explain ? what exactly happened that you think is wrong?
*I don't think that is the right thing to do, but it's not just one thing.. call it growing apart, I wish you all the best of luck though.

Neil Darlow 06-19-2008 07:14 PM

Orphaning my packages

Hi,

I have orphaned my unsupported packages as I will no longer be using Arch.

I don't agree with Arch's reluctance to fix bugs which they consider
upstream. I recently installed Mandriva on one of my systems and was
amazed to see all the features that are broken in Arch's GNOME, due to
them being upstream bugs, fully working in that distribution.

As my principle reason for using GNU/Linux is to get work done and
Arch's philosophy seems, to me, to be working against this I feel it is
time to depart from Arch.

My packages were:

* asl
* bouml
* freehdl
* gnome-hearts
* subcommander

Regards,
Neil Darlow

Chris Bolton 06-19-2008 07:21 PM

Orphaning my packages

well, sorry to see you go. I've adopted all packages except for
gnome-hearts

Alessio Bolognino 06-20-2008 02:38 AM

Orphaning my packages

On Thu 2008-06-19 20:14, Neil Darlow wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have orphaned my unsupported packages as I will no longer be using Arch.
>
> I don't agree with Arch's reluctance to fix bugs which they consider
> upstream. I recently installed Mandriva on one of my systems and was
> amazed to see all the features that are broken in Arch's GNOME, due to
> them being upstream bugs, fully working in that distribution.
>
> As my principle reason for using GNU/Linux is to get work done and
> Arch's philosophy seems, to me, to be working against this I feel it is
> time to depart from Arch.
> [...]

Why don't use stop using GNOME instead and complain on their mailing
list? Don't get me wrong, this is not intended to be an aggressive email
at all, but if the bug is upstream... well, it's upstream fault.

--
Alessio (molok) Bolognino

Please send personal email to themolok@gmail.com

Public Key http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xFE0270FB
GPG Key ID = 1024D / FE0270FB 2007-04-11
Key Fingerprint = 9AF8 9011 F271 450D 59CF 2D7D 96C9 8F2A FE02 70FB

"Vesa Kaihlavirta" 06-20-2008 06:07 AM

Orphaning my packages

On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 5:38 AM, Alessio Bolognino
<themolok.ml@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu 2008-06-19 20:14, Neil Darlow wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I don't agree with Arch's reluctance to fix bugs which they consider
>> upstream. I recently installed Mandriva on one of my systems and was
>> amazed to see all the features that are broken in Arch's GNOME, due to
>> them being upstream bugs, fully working in that distribution.
>>
>> As my principle reason for using GNU/Linux is to get work done and
>> Arch's philosophy seems, to me, to be working against this I feel it is
>> time to depart from Arch.
>> [...]
>
> Why don't use stop using GNOME instead and complain on their mailing
> list? Don't get me wrong, this is not intended to be an aggressive email
> at all, but if the bug is upstream... well, it's upstream fault.

I totally agree with Alessio. we should start patching large pieces of
software ourselves. We have neither the resources nor the philosophical interest
to do that.

--vk

Alessio Bolognino 06-20-2008 06:13 AM

Orphaning my packages

On Fri 2008-06-20 04:38, Alessio 'molok' Bolognino wrote:
> [...]
> Why don't use stop using GNOME instead and complain on their mailing
Eerr.. "Why don't YOU stop..."