Old 04-10-2008, 08:25 AM
Andrew Haley

Default prelink

Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek wrote:
> hi,
>
> today I have some kind of bad day - I'm filing many bugs and doing many
> things I wouldn't do in a usual day.
>
> I considered using prelink months ago but I was afraid.
>
> I run "prelink -amR" today, but I saw warning about PIC.
>
> I've read in Gentoo's docs that shared libraries must be compiled with
> -fPIC.
>
> We do we have -fPIC in CFLAGS not, while prelink in repo?

It's a bug. While x86 does allow shared libraries to compile without PIC,
it's always the wrong thing to do.

Andrew.

Old 06-30-2010, 06:40 PM
Frank Cox

The above discussion of prelink gave me pause for thought...

I have a "suite" of programs that I install in their own directory,
along with their datafiles, under /opt.

Would it be a good idea to add that directory to /etc/prelink.conf?

What could go wrong?

Old 07-05-2010, 07:47 AM
JohnS

On Wed, 2010-06-30 at 12:40 -0600, Frank Cox wrote:
> The above discussion of prelink gave me pause for thought...
>
> I have a "suite" of programs that I install in their own directory,
> along with their datafiles, under /opt.
>
> Would it be a good idea to add that directory to /etc/prelink.conf?
>
> What could go wrong?
---
Why not just add a program to it under a test machine and see how things
go from there.

Check this out: http://people.redhat.com/jakub/prelink.pdf

You may have to use wget to fetch it because FF would not launch in
adobe in the browser window.

John

Old 07-05-2010, 07:52 AM
Frank Cox

On Mon, 2010-07-05 at 03:47 -0400, JohnS wrote:
> Check this out: http://people.redhat.com/jakub/prelink.pdf

Thank you immensely for this! I now have some reading to do...