Old 04-10-2008, 03:45 AM
"Oisin Feeley"

Default Fedora 9 Beta Live CD: disabling services during interactive startup

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 12:15 AM, Andrew Farris <lordmorgul@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Attempts to selectively disable services (with the object of disabling
> > NetworkManager and NetworkManagerDispatcher) are a problem because the
> > reading of the options appears to ignored. The prompt "<service name>
> > (C)ontinue/(Y)es/(N)o" (or something of that form) appears, but it's
> > necessary to enter at least two carriage-returns with the option, a
> > bit of what appears to be Python code for reading the option and
> > starting the services is printed and then the service is (possibly)
> > started anyway.
> >

> Do these messages look like something is wrong with your keyboard input?
> Do you have a typical US layout keyboard or something else? That sounds
> very much like garbage is getting sent to the script rather than
> understandable bytes, and its going 'oh crap' when it cannot find a Y or N.

I don't think it's the keyboard. This machine is a Panasonic Toughbook
CF-Y5. I just installed Fedora 8 on it with no problems. The exact
messages are like this one:

Entering interactive startup
+confirm fedora-live
+ '[' -x /usr/bin/rhgb-client ']'
+ /usr/bin/rhgb-client --details=yes
+ :
+ echo -n 'Start service fedora_live (Y)es/(N)o/(C)ontinue? [Y]'
Start service fedora_live (Y)es/(N)o/(C)ontinue? [Y] + read answer

+strstr yY '
+ '[' yY = yY '
+ return 0
+ rc=0
+ '[' 0=1 ']'
+ '[' 0=2 ']'
+ set +x

It seems that if I want to stop a service from starting I can enter "N
<enter> N <enter>" but this is not consistent.

The last few services started before the machine either goes to a
blank screen (or a light blue screen) are:

HAL
NetworkManagerDispatcher
firstboot
rhgb-client

> > So, any ideas as to how I can get a bit further with testing the
> > pre-release? Or capturing better info for reporting whatever is going
> > wrong to bugzilla?
> >

> You can boot the machine to runlevel 1 or 3 by editing the syslinux boot
> menu before it starts the automatic boot. That should let you disable
> NetworkManager or NetworkManagerDispatcher to see if those are the culprits.
> You can also adjust/edit X configuration from there if necessary before
> starting gdm to login (in runlevel 5).

Of course. Thank you. I can only plead exhaustion due to looking
after a baby for not thinking of those obvious things. Very helpful
to be reminded of them.

So, I rebooted, hit ESC -> TAB and then added a "3" to the end of the
boot options and everything went very nicely to boot into runlevel 3.
By a mad impulse I then decided to see what happened if I did a
"/sbin/telinit 5". It worked. I was able to boot the (appallingly
slow probably due to my 512MB RAM) LiveCD. I saved off some
information (dmesg and lspci -vv) in case it was useful. I'm going to
back through the /etc/init.d and /etc/rc.d directories and try and
follow the order of services one by one in order to pinpoint the
differences.

Best wishes,
Oisin Feeley

Old 04-10-2008, 04:00 AM
"Oisin Feeley"

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 12:18 AM, Andrew Farris <lordmorgul@gmail.com> wrote:
> Oisin Feeley wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > The i686 FedoraDesktop LiveCD appears to fail somewhere after
> > NetworkManagerDispatcher is started. The exact symptoms are that the
> > screen flickers, goes blank and the CD drive continues to spin for
> > minutes and then becomes inactive. Keyboard or touchpad input results
> > in the CD drive spinning up again but the screen remaining blank.
> >

> After NetworkManagerDispatcher starts, these things could be happening:
> haldaemon starts (could be before NMD)
> cups starts (could be before NMD)
>
> anacron starts
> firstboot starts
> NetworkManager starts
>
> I think NM goes before firstboot though.
>
> Do you have a wireless adapter in that machine?

I don't think we can blame NetworkManager for this. I do have an
Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG in the machine (it's supported perfectly in
Fedora 8 apart from suspend-to-RAM and hibernate-to-disk issues). The
laptop has a hardware switch to disable the card and it makes no
difference whether it's on/off. Also I was able to boot to runlevel 3
and then telinit to runlevel 5 (see other reply to you) and then
authenticate to my AP. According to /var/log/messages it's using the
iwl3945 module.

>From what I see the order towards the end is:
CUPS
HAL
NetworkManagerDispatcher
firstboot
rhgb-client

So all I have at the moment is are pairs of fail/succeed
/var/log/messages and and an lspci -vv output and lsmod.

Any point in me opening a bugzilla with this? I'm probably going to
go ahead and mess around with the initscripts as described in my other
post anyway.

Oisin

Old 04-10-2008, 09:54 AM
"Deependra Singh Shekhawat"

Hi,

I installed rawhide 4th april live cd for i686. And the problem during
the first boot after installation is when the first-boot service
starts. It just hangs and shows a blue screen. Later when I did a
interactive startup pressing 'I' I didn't started first-boot and it
worked like charm.

So it might be the first-boot service but I am not sure. Is it a live
session or post install session ?

Thanks

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 9:20 AM, Oisin Feeley <oisin.feeley@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> The i686 FedoraDesktop LiveCD appears to fail somewhere after
> NetworkManagerDispatcher is started. The exact symptoms are that the
> screen flickers, goes blank and the CD drive continues to spin for
> minutes and then becomes inactive. Keyboard or touchpad input results
> in the CD drive spinning up again but the screen remaining blank.
>
> Attempts to see what's going on by switching to some other console via
> Alt-Ctl-Fx appear to be ignored.
>
> Attempts to selectively disable services (with the object of disabling
> NetworkManager and NetworkManagerDispatcher) are a problem because the
> reading of the options appears to ignored. The prompt "<service name>
> (C)ontinue/(Y)es/(N)o" (or something of that form) appears, but it's
> necessary to enter at least two carriage-returns with the option, a
> bit of what appears to be Python code for reading the option and
> starting the services is printed and then the service is (possibly)
> started anyway.
>
> So, any ideas as to how I can get a bit further with testing the
> pre-release? Or capturing better info for reporting whatever is going
> wrong to bugzilla?
>
> Thanks,
> Oisin Feeley

Enjoy Life !