Old 04-09-2008, 08:14 PM
"Michel Salim"

Default Lua SIG feelers

Hi all,

Now that a decent amount of Lua (http://www.lua.org/) modules are
being packaged for Fedora, it might be time to start a Lua SIG.

Motivations:
- maintain packaging guidelines
- place to announce review requests
- similarly, place for users to request packages

I'm sending this e-mail to gauge the level of interest -- for those
not in the know, Lua is a lightweight scripting language designed to
integrate well with C. It's table-based architecture supports various
styles of programming, from functional to object-orientation, and even
lazy evaluation.

Best regards,

--
Michel Salim
http://hircus.jaiku.com/

Old 04-09-2008, 08:53 PM
Tim Niemueller

Michel Salim schrieb:
> Hi all,

Hi Michel and all.

> Now that a decent amount of Lua (http://www.lua.org/) modules are
> being packaged for Fedora, it might be time to start a Lua SIG.

True. As the (co-)maintainer of most Lua-related packages in Fedora I'd
really love to see more people involved, packaging and helping with
maintenance of packages.

For the guidelines I made some up for myself, especially regarding the
naming of packages. We (Jason Tibbitts as reviewer and me) came across a
few pitfalls if it comes to Packaging of Lua packages, especially the
ones that contain C code. For example passing correct CFLAGS to get
useful debuginfo packages. This should probably also be covered in the
guidelines. I'd just give it a start if no one objects.

Is there anything specific involved in creating a SIG besides having
interested people and setting up a Wiki page?

Who else is interested?
Tim

--
Tim Niemueller <tim@niemueller.de> www.niemueller.de

Old 04-10-2008, 12:55 AM
"Michel Salim"

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 4:53 PM, Tim Niemueller <tim@niemueller.de> wrote:
> Michel Salim schrieb:
> > Hi all,
>
> Hi Michel and all.
>

> > Now that a decent amount of Lua (http://www.lua.org/) modules are
> > being packaged for Fedora, it might be time to start a Lua SIG.
>
> True. As the (co-)maintainer of most Lua-related packages in Fedora I'd
> really love to see more people involved, packaging and helping with
> maintenance of packages.
>
> For the guidelines I made some up for myself, especially regarding the
> naming of packages. We (Jason Tibbitts as reviewer and me) came across a
> few pitfalls if it comes to Packaging of Lua packages, especially the
> ones that contain C code. For example passing correct CFLAGS to get
> useful debuginfo packages. This should probably also be covered in the
> guidelines. I'd just give it a start if no one objects.
>
> Is there anything specific involved in creating a SIG besides having
> interested people and setting up a Wiki page?

That's probably it. I've put up the Wiki page at
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Lua

This might need to be added to the guideline: Lua seems to search for
libraries only in the current directory and in %{_libdir}. This means
that even packages that are actually noarch cannot be declared as
such, to make sure that they are built separately on each platform.

Best,

--
Michel Salim
http://hircus.jaiku.com/

Old 04-10-2008, 11:20 AM
Tim Niemueller

Michel Salim schrieb:
>> Is there anything specific involved in creating a SIG besides having
>> interested people and setting up a Wiki page?
>>
> That's probably it. I've put up the Wiki page at
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Lua

Cool.

> This might need to be added to the guideline: Lua seems to search for
> libraries only in the current directory and in %{_libdir}. This means
> that even packages that are actually noarch cannot be declared as
> such, to make sure that they are built separately on each platform.

That is wrong. Lua searches:
> print(package.path)
./?.lua;/usr/share/lua/5.1/?.lua;/usr/share/lua/5.1/?/init.lua;/usr/lib64/lua/5.1/?.lua;/usr/lib64/lua/5.1/?/init.lua
> print(package.cpath)
./?.so;/usr/lib64/lua/5.1/?.so;/usr/lib64/lua/5.1/loadall.so

That means that noarch packages that only have lua files are possible,
these files are packaged to /usr/share/lua/5.1/ (which I define as
luapkgdir in my specs). Hans and I have adapted the Lua package to own
these package directories such that they always exist when Lua is
installed and are properly removed if you remove Lua.

So having noarch Lua addon packages is possible (and done so with
currently in review lua-logging and luadoc).

Tim

--
Tim Niemueller <tim@niemueller.de> www.niemueller.de