Old 04-09-2008, 03:50 AM
"Oisin Feeley"

Default Fedora 9 Beta Live CD: disabling services during interactive startup

Hi all,

The i686 FedoraDesktop LiveCD appears to fail somewhere after
NetworkManagerDispatcher is started. The exact symptoms are that the
screen flickers, goes blank and the CD drive continues to spin for
minutes and then becomes inactive. Keyboard or touchpad input results
in the CD drive spinning up again but the screen remaining blank.

Attempts to see what's going on by switching to some other console via
Alt-Ctl-Fx appear to be ignored.

Attempts to selectively disable services (with the object of disabling
NetworkManager and NetworkManagerDispatcher) are a problem because the
reading of the options appears to ignored. The prompt "<service name>
(C)ontinue/(Y)es/(N)o" (or something of that form) appears, but it's
necessary to enter at least two carriage-returns with the option, a
bit of what appears to be Python code for reading the option and
starting the services is printed and then the service is (possibly)
started anyway.

So, any ideas as to how I can get a bit further with testing the
pre-release? Or capturing better info for reporting whatever is going
wrong to bugzilla?

Thanks,
Oisin Feeley

Old 04-09-2008, 04:15 AM
Andrew Farris

Oisin Feeley wrote:

[...]

Do these messages look like something is wrong with your keyboard input? Do you
have a typical US layout keyboard or something else? That sounds very much like
garbage is getting sent to the script rather than understandable bytes, and its
going 'oh crap' when it cannot find a Y or N.

So, any ideas as to how I can get a bit further with testing the
pre-release? Or capturing better info for reporting whatever is going
wrong to bugzilla?

You can boot the machine to runlevel 1 or 3 by editing the syslinux boot menu
before it starts the automatic boot. That should let you disable NetworkManager
or NetworkManagerDispatcher to see if those are the culprits. You can also
adjust/edit X configuration from there if necessary before starting gdm to login
(in runlevel 5).

Push TAB while looking at the boot menu, then add a '1' or '3' at the end of the
kernel parameters and push enter. You can do anything from those runlevels that
a typical installed machine would allow you to do, mounting a flash drive to
copy off debug logs for instance.

--
Andrew Farris <lordmorgul@gmail.com> www.lordmorgul.net
gpg 0x8300BF29 fingerprint 071D FFE0 4CBC 13FC 7DEB 5BD5 5F89 8E1B 8300 BF29

Old 04-09-2008, 04:18 AM
Andrew Farris

Oisin Feeley wrote:

Hi all,

The i686 FedoraDesktop LiveCD appears to fail somewhere after
NetworkManagerDispatcher is started. The exact symptoms are that the
screen flickers, goes blank and the CD drive continues to spin for
minutes and then becomes inactive. Keyboard or touchpad input results
in the CD drive spinning up again but the screen remaining blank.

After NetworkManagerDispatcher starts, these things could be happening:
haldaemon starts (could be before NMD)
cups starts (could be before NMD)

anacron starts
firstboot starts
NetworkManager starts

I think NM goes before firstboot though.

Do you have a wireless adapter in that machine?

Old 04-10-2008, 05:04 AM
Andrew Farris

Oisin Feeley wrote:

Any point in me opening a bugzilla with this? I'm probably going to
go ahead and mess around with the initscripts as described in my other
post anyway.

Remove the rhgb from the kernel boot parameters and see if your problem of bad
input during interactive boot continues for normal text mode startup. It may
work fine, which would mean there is a bug with rhgb accepting inputs for
interactive boot. If you have the problem with rhgb only then that should be
reported to bugzilla (search to see if someone already did). There should not
be that error output and the need to push enter twice for each service.

Old 04-10-2008, 05:18 AM
Andrew Farris

Andrew Farris wrote:

Oisin Feeley wrote:

Any point in me opening a bugzilla with this? I'm probably going to
go ahead and mess around with the initscripts as described in my other
post anyway.

Remove the rhgb from the kernel boot parameters and see if your problem
of bad input during interactive boot continues for normal text mode
startup. It may work fine, which would mean there is a bug with rhgb
accepting inputs for interactive boot. If you have the problem with
rhgb only then that should be reported to bugzilla (search to see if
someone already did). There should not be that error output and the
need to push enter twice for each service.

I just tried this with the 20080404 rawhide snapshot live cd and rhgb does show
what looks like debugging output when trying to use interactive boot, and
pressing enter twice is needed (only one character 'y' or 'n' is needed, but two
enter presses). Removing the rhgb works fine, only one enter key press is needed.

That output might be turned off for final, I'm not sure if that is a bug or was
deliberate output. You should file this anyway and we'll see. We should have a
preview image out really soon I think? That should not have debugging turned on
so we can check this there too.

http://lordmorgul.net/pub/fedora/testing/rhgb-1.png
http://lordmorgul.net/pub/fedora/testing/rhgb-2.png

Old 04-10-2008, 10:04 AM
Andrew Farris

Deependra Singh Shekhawat wrote:

Hi,

I installed rawhide 4th april live cd for i686. And the problem during
the first boot after installation is when the first-boot service
starts. It just hangs and shows a blue screen. Later when I did a
interactive startup pressing 'I' I didn't started first-boot and it
worked like charm.

So it might be the first-boot service but I am not sure. Is it a live
session or post install session ?

This is a known issue but thanks for reporting it anyway. If you update the
firstboot package it corrects this issue, there was a typo in the script that
failed to start the service.