Old 04-09-2008, 01:32 AM
Andrew Farris

Default Verifying integrity of LiveCD?

Oisin Feeley wrote:

Hi all,

What is the preferred way to verify the integrity of the various
LiveCDs available for the F9-Sulfur beta? I tried to test the
i686-LiveCD and was unsure whether its failure to boot was due to a
corrupt burn and/or download. There seems to be no sha1sum or md5sum
available on the prerelease page[1] to enable a quick check of the ISO
image.

SHA1SUMS is available on the mirrors, it just is not linked directly from the
download (mirror redirect) page.

http://mirror.lib.ucdavis.edu/fedora/linux/releases/test/9-Beta/Live/i686/

--
Andrew Farris <lordmorgul@gmail.com> www.lordmorgul.net
gpg 0x8300BF29 fingerprint 071D FFE0 4CBC 13FC 7DEB 5BD5 5F89 8E1B 8300 BF29

Old 04-09-2008, 01:40 AM
Jeremy Katz

On Tue, 2008-04-08 at 18:32 -0700, Andrew Farris wrote:
> Oisin Feeley wrote:
> > What is the preferred way to verify the integrity of the various
> > LiveCDs available for the F9-Sulfur beta? I tried to test the
> > i686-LiveCD and was unsure whether its failure to boot was due to a
> > corrupt burn and/or download. There seems to be no sha1sum or md5sum
> > available on the prerelease page[1] to enable a quick check of the ISO
> > image.
>
> SHA1SUMS is available on the mirrors, it just is not linked directly from the
> download (mirror redirect) page.
> http://mirror.lib.ucdavis.edu/fedora/linux/releases/test/9-Beta/Live/i686/

The live images, like the traditional install isos, also have an
embedded md5sum that can be checked. Either select the 'Verify and
Boot' option from the syslinux menu or you can install the isomd5sum
package and run checkisomd5 manually

Jeremy

Old 04-09-2008, 01:50 AM
"Oisin Feeley"

On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 9:40 PM, Jeremy Katz <katzj@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-04-08 at 18:32 -0700, Andrew Farris wrote:
>
> > Oisin Feeley wrote:
> > > What is the preferred way to verify the integrity of the various
> > > LiveCDs available for the F9-Sulfur beta? I tried to test the
> > > i686-LiveCD and was unsure whether its failure to boot was due to a
> > > corrupt burn and/or download. There seems to be no sha1sum or md5sum
> > > available on the prerelease page[1] to enable a quick check of the ISO
> > > image.
> >
> > SHA1SUMS is available on the mirrors, it just is not linked directly from the
> > download (mirror redirect) page.
> > http://mirror.lib.ucdavis.edu/fedora/linux/releases/test/9-Beta/Live/i686/
>
> The live images, like the traditional install isos, also have an
> embedded md5sum that can be checked. Either select the 'Verify and
> Boot' option from the syslinux menu or you can install the isomd5sum
> package and run checkisomd5 manually

Thanks Andrew and Jeremy. I apologize for not experimenting a bit
further before posting that query. In the meantime I discovered the
"Verify and Boot" option (which gave me a FAIL)

I also checked the directory that the bittorrent download created and
found the attached SHA1SUM which confirmed that the ISO image on my
harddrive is fine.

[ush@localhost ~]$ cd Fedora-9-Beta-Live-i686/
[ush@localhost Fedora-9-Beta-Live-i686]$ sha1sum -c SHA1SUM
Fedora-9-Beta-Live-i686.iso: OK

So I guess my burn process is corrupted.

Thanks for the help and apologies for not checking those out first.
I've become used to seeing SHA1SUMs on websites offering downloads so
it threw me a bit when it wasn't there.

OK, on with the testing.

Oisin

Old 04-09-2008, 02:12 AM
Andrew Farris

Oisin Feeley wrote:

Thanks for the help and apologies for not checking those out first.
I've become used to seeing SHA1SUMs on websites offering downloads so
it threw me a bit when it wasn't there.

Your question reminded me that I had expected to find them there before as well
and was totally shocked not to see any exposed link to image integrity info. So
I'm requesting they get put there, thanks for the reminder about it.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:22 AM
Harald Hoyer

Oisin Feeley wrote:

Hi all,

What is the preferred way to verify the integrity of the various
LiveCDs available for the F9-Sulfur beta? I tried to test the
i686-LiveCD and was unsure whether its failure to boot was due to a
corrupt burn and/or download. There seems to be no sha1sum or md5sum
available on the prerelease page[1] to enable a quick check of the ISO
image.

The specific issue which I'm seeing is probably a specific optical
drive issue, however the above possibility is one which it would be
nice to be able to eliminate.

Best wishes,
Oisin Feeley

1. http://fedoraproject.org/get-prerelease

To get the checksum of the burned image, my preferred method is:

# head -c `isosize /dev/cdrom` /dev/cdrom | sha1sum

Old 04-09-2008, 09:49 AM
Andrew Farris

Harald Hoyer wrote:

To get the checksum of the burned image, my preferred method is:

# head -c `isosize /dev/cdrom` /dev/cdrom | sha1sum

Thats very useful for checking already burned images thanks for sharing it.