Old 04-08-2008, 07:54 PM
Toshio Kuratomi

Default RFC: Draft Javascript Guidelines

Hello everyone,

I'm drafting some Javascript Guidelines and would like some input. The
current ideas are on the wiki here::

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/Javascript

If I don't get some feedback I'll be making some decisions based on the
information there in order to have something that's ready for a vote in
two weeks.

My current thoughts on positions the draft will take are::

Javascript libraries must be packaged separately from web applications.
Web Applications are not allowed to include Javascript Libraries (or
plugins to those libraries which have a separate upstream from the web
app) but must use the system provided ones.

Javascript libraries must provide an apache conf file that will serve
the library from the filesystem to clients from a specific URL. config
files for other web servers are optional.

URLs for Javascript libraries should be rooted in /js/

I'm not sure whether to advocate using JsMin or similar or not.

If you don't like some of these ideas, please respond! Nothing's set in
stone yet, but without your input, they will get turned into Guidelines.

-Toshio

Old 04-10-2008, 08:26 PM
Michael DeHaan

Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

[...]

Just checking -- seems like Apache is going to need to be tweaked to do
that in the default conf, else some other RPM may end up owning
/var/www/js and having to configure it). Right?

--Michael

Old 04-10-2008, 08:42 PM
Till Maas

On Tue April 8 2008, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

> Javascript libraries must provide an apache conf file that will serve
> the library from the filesystem to clients from a specific URL. config
> files for other web servers are optional.

When the apache config file is stored below /etc/httpd, any Javascript library
has to depend on apache. How about providing the config files somewhere else,
so that any user who wants to use it, can symlink it from /etc/httpd or copy
it?

Regards,
Till

Old 04-10-2008, 09:03 PM
Toshio Kuratomi

Michael DeHaan wrote:

Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

Javascript libraries must provide an apache conf file that will serve
the library from the filesystem to clients from a specific URL.
config files for other web servers are optional.

URLs for Javascript libraries should be rooted in /js/

Just checking -- seems like Apache is going to need to be tweaked to do
that in the default conf, else some other RPM may end up owning
/var/www/js and having to configure it). Right?

I think that what I wrote wasn't quite clear. The javascript files
would probably live on the filesystem under /usr/share/PkgName

The URL where these libraries could be found would be
http://localhost/js/PkgName.

Does that answer your concern?

-Toshio

Old 04-10-2008, 09:18 PM