Old 04-08-2008, 03:22 PM
Jesse Keating

Default Fedora 9 Final Freeze

We froze for Fedora 9 early this morning (the same time the rawhide
compose happened). This is our final freeze.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/ReleaseEngineering/FinalFreezePolicy
explains the policy.

We're planning a snapshot we'll call 'Preview Release' this Thursday or
Friday. Then release candidates will be created next week. If it
becomes obvious that we will have to slip the release date for getting
certain bugs fixed we will announce very loudly as soon as we make the
decision.

Mass CVS branching will come later this week so that folks can begin
work on F10.

PS: to see if your build is tagged for Fedora 9, check 'koji latest-pkg
f9-final <package>'
--
Jesse Keating

Old 04-09-2008, 06:32 AM
Dave Jones

On Tue, Apr 08, 2008 at 11:22:36AM -0400, Jesse Keating wrote:
> We froze for Fedora 9 early this morning (the same time the rawhide
> compose happened). This is our final freeze.
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/ReleaseEngineering/FinalFreezePolicy
> explains the policy.
>
> We're planning a snapshot we'll call 'Preview Release' this Thursday or
> Friday. Then release candidates will be created next week. If it
> becomes obvious that we will have to slip the release date for getting
> certain bugs fixed we will announce very loudly as soon as we make the
> decision.

So where do we stand with the known data corruption issue where
anaconda fails to umount the installed partition causing us to lose
files in first boot ?

Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk

Old 04-09-2008, 11:33 AM
Jesse Keating

On Wed, 2008-04-09 at 02:32 -0400, Dave Jones wrote:
> So where do we stand with the known data corruption issue where
> anaconda fails to umount the installed partition causing us to lose
> files in first boot ?

Can we reproduce it anywhere but your system?

--
Jesse Keating

Old 04-09-2008, 02:22 PM
Jeremy Katz

On Wed, 2008-04-09 at 02:32 -0400, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 08, 2008 at 11:22:36AM -0400, Jesse Keating wrote:
> > We froze for Fedora 9 early this morning (the same time the rawhide
> > compose happened). This is our final freeze.
> >
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/ReleaseEngineering/FinalFreezePolicy
> > explains the policy.
> >
> > We're planning a snapshot we'll call 'Preview Release' this Thursday or
> > Friday. Then release candidates will be created next week. If it
> > becomes obvious that we will have to slip the release date for getting
> > certain bugs fixed we will announce very loudly as soon as we make the
> > decision.
>
> So where do we stand with the known data corruption issue where
> anaconda fails to umount the installed partition causing us to lose
> files in first boot ?

Given I wasn't able to reproduce it even trying on your machine and with
your kickstart config in the office last week, I'm not inclined to hold
up the preview release for it. That said, when you're back in town, I'd
be up for stopping by and watching to make sure you're not doing
something without thinking about it that's causing it to occur :-)

Jeremy

Old 04-09-2008, 03:32 PM
Dave Jones

On Wed, Apr 09, 2008 at 10:22:05AM -0400, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-04-09 at 02:32 -0400, Dave Jones wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 08, 2008 at 11:22:36AM -0400, Jesse Keating wrote:
> > > We froze for Fedora 9 early this morning (the same time the rawhide
> > > compose happened). This is our final freeze.
> > >
> > > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/ReleaseEngineering/FinalFreezePolicy
> > > explains the policy.
> > >
> > > We're planning a snapshot we'll call 'Preview Release' this Thursday or
> > > Friday. Then release candidates will be created next week. If it
> > > becomes obvious that we will have to slip the release date for getting
> > > certain bugs fixed we will announce very loudly as soon as we make the
> > > decision.
> >
> > So where do we stand with the known data corruption issue where
> > anaconda fails to umount the installed partition causing us to lose
> > files in first boot ?
>
> Given I wasn't able to reproduce it even trying on your machine and with
> your kickstart config in the office last week, I'm not inclined to hold
> up the preview release for it. That said, when you're back in town, I'd
> be up for stopping by and watching to make sure you're not doing
> something without thinking about it that's causing it to occur :-)

I think my home may be on top of an indian burial ground or something
It is certainly unusual that I'm the only person who seems to be
seeing it, but I'd rather we played safe just in case I'm not as
special as this bug makes me out to be.

Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk

Old 04-09-2008, 03:35 PM
Jesse Keating

On Wed, 2008-04-09 at 11:32 -0400, Dave Jones wrote:

> I think my home may be on top of an indian burial ground or something
> It is certainly unusual that I'm the only person who seems to be
> seeing it, but I'd rather we played safe just in case I'm not as
> special as this bug makes me out to be.

How does one "play safe" here? We can't reproduce it, how can we
possibly fix it, or even verify that it's fixed? And how long do we sit
on the possible fix (if we could ever create one) before we decide it's
"safe" ?

--
Jesse Keating

Old 04-09-2008, 04:20 PM
"Bill Crawford"

On 09/04/2008, Jesse Keating <jkeating@redhat.com> wrote:

> How does one "play safe" here? We can't reproduce it, how can we
> possibly fix it, or even verify that it's fixed? And how long do we sit
> on the possible fix (if we could ever create one) before we decide it's
> "safe" ?

You play safe by unmounting *everything* and doing a sync() ;o)

Old 04-09-2008, 08:22 PM
Dave Jones

On Wed, Apr 09, 2008 at 11:35:51AM -0400, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-04-09 at 11:32 -0400, Dave Jones wrote:
> >
> > I think my home may be on top of an indian burial ground or something
> > It is certainly unusual that I'm the only person who seems to be
> > seeing it, but I'd rather we played safe just in case I'm not as
> > special as this bug makes me out to be.
>
> How does one "play safe" here? We can't reproduce it, how can we
> possibly fix it, or even verify that it's fixed? And how long do we sit
> on the possible fix (if we could ever create one) before we decide it's
> "safe" ?

turns out I was a moron.
my pxe config was passing 'nokill' which I'd forgotten about.

So I'm still "special", but not in a good way.
I'll go sit in the corner now.

Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk

Old 04-23-2008, 05:12 PM
Axel Thimm

Hi,

On Tue, Apr 08, 2008 at 11:22:36AM -0400, Jesse Keating wrote:
> We froze for Fedora 9 early this morning (the same time the rawhide
> compose happened). This is our final freeze.
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/ReleaseEngineering/FinalFreezePolicy
> explains the policy.

I read the wiki page and just to make sure I won't be doing anything
foolish:

If I now build for F-9 I either consider this critical for F9 release
and contact releng, or not in which case I wait for bodhi to suport F9
updates and schedule it as a regular update.

E.g. building under F-9 now will not automatically push it anywhere
and make anyone unhappy, correct? And I can prepare the less critical
builds to be available as updates at F9 release time (or later).
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net

Old 04-23-2008, 05:14 PM
Bill Nottingham

Axel Thimm (Axel.Thimm@ATrpms.net) said:
> If I now build for F-9 I either consider this critical for F9 release
> and contact releng, or not in which case I wait for bodhi to suport F9
> updates and schedule it as a regular update.
>
> E.g. building under F-9 now will not automatically push it anywhere
> and make anyone unhappy, correct? And I can prepare the less critical
> builds to be available as updates at F9 release time (or later).

Correct.

Bill