Old 04-08-2008, 02:42 PM
John Reiser

Default auto-discovery of filesystems (mount, icon) by Gnome Desktop

Four days ago my rawhide Gnome Desktop was uncluttered. Yesterday
the desktop has an icon for every filesystem not listed in /etc/fstab
(several dozen), each filesystem has been mounted read-write
in /media, and login takes 10 seconds longer.

How can I control this? Each of the six states ({read-only, read-write,
no mount} cross {icon or not}) is a valid possibility. Besides that,
I seek control via:
userID, groupID, system-wide master override
userID, groupID, system-wide default
media type (flash memory, CD, DVD, ROM, Recordable, RW, ...)
media location (internal, front panel, rear panel)
connector/bus type (pata, sata, e-sata, USB1.1, USB2.0, ieee1394)
device manufacturer, model number, serial number
filesystem type (vfat, ext2, ...), label, UUID
spindle (sda, sdb, etc.)
time and date
Text specifiers should allow regular expressions.