Old 04-08-2008, 02:38 PM
Máirín Duffy

Default gnome splash and screensaver lock dialog

Hey,

Is anyone interested in putting together a gnome splash and/or a
screensaver lock dialog for Waves? The squarish anaconda splash is
probably a good graphic to start with for the gnome splash.

~m

Old 04-08-2008, 03:28 PM
Mark

Yes i am interested (lock dialog only.. don't know about the splash).

But last time (in the fedora 8 development cycle) the lock dialog was
made and working but still not enabled (but is included) by default!
while it looked cool.

So i see no point in making it if it's not even gonna be used by default.
I'm willing to make/adjust the exisiting one from fedora 8 to make it
fit with the waves but only if a fedora official can promise me that
it's gonna be in and ON by default (so no ugly plain looks in the lock
dialog).

Old 04-08-2008, 07:14 PM
"Ian Weller"

On 4/8/08, Mark <markg85@gmail.com> wrote:
> So i see no point in making it if it's not even gonna be used by default.
> I'm willing to make/adjust the exisiting one from fedora 8 to make it
> fit with the waves but only if a fedora official can promise me that
> it's gonna be in and ON by default (so no ugly plain looks in the lock
> dialog).

There may be a slightly large debate about this, because I think the
artsy lock dialog is disabled by default upstream. However I'm all for
this.

+1 -- ian

Old 04-14-2008, 12:16 PM
Mark

2008/4/8, Ian Weller <ianweller@gmail.com>:
> On 4/8/08, Mark <markg85@gmail.com> wrote:
> > So i see no point in making it if it's not even gonna be used by default.
> > I'm willing to make/adjust the exisiting one from fedora 8 to make it
> > fit with the waves but only if a fedora official can promise me that
> > it's gonna be in and ON by default (so no ugly plain looks in the lock
> > dialog).
> >

> There may be a slightly large debate about this, because I think the
> artsy lock dialog is disabled by default upstream. However I'm all for
> this.
>
> +1 -- ian

any news here on those splashes?
Current case is still that the F8 gnome splash is used in F9 and the
lock dialog is still the plain ugly version. (tested on fully updated
F9)

Old 04-14-2008, 12:52 PM
Nicu Buculei

Mark wrote:

any news here on those splashes?
Current case is still that the F8 gnome splash is used in F9 and the
lock dialog is still the plain ugly version. (tested on fully updated
F9)

AFAIK, there is no news on that, the current status is like that:
- a few people in Art Team expressed their lack in interest in this
dialog if it is not used by default (or probably at least having a
non-obscure way to be enabled)
- people in the Desktop team are not interested in using a themed dialog
by default (some of the concerns involve usability)

With that being said, you can make an update version and post it to the
list, it would take something like a couple of minutes: grab the latest
wallpaper from Rawhide, resize it to fit the dialog, open the .glade
file (in Glade) and replace the background image. Save and post it here.

note: in the time I replied I could have made the dialog myself, but I
preferred not to, probably for the same reason as the other - as a
statement about the futility of having a dialog if we are not going to
use it.

Old 04-15-2008, 01:41 AM
"Paul W. Frields"

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 02:16:27PM +0200, Mark wrote:
> 2008/4/8, Ian Weller <ianweller@gmail.com>:
> > On 4/8/08, Mark <markg85@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > So i see no point in making it if it's not even gonna be used by default.
> > > I'm willing to make/adjust the exisiting one from fedora 8 to make it
> > > fit with the waves but only if a fedora official can promise me that
> > > it's gonna be in and ON by default (so no ugly plain looks in the lock
> > > dialog).
> > >

> > There may be a slightly large debate about this, because I think the
> > artsy lock dialog is disabled by default upstream. However I'm all for
> > this.
> >
> > +1 -- ian
>
> any news here on those splashes?
> Current case is still that the F8 gnome splash is used in F9 and the
> lock dialog is still the plain ugly version. (tested on fully updated
> F9)

The lock dialog defaults to the "plain" version for usability reasons
-- that's something that's been decided upstream by GNOME and we
probably won't be changing it any time soon.

But *not* making a prettier dialog just because it's not the default
seems very silly to me. After all, I work on maintaining packages
that aren't installed by default. If everyone felt that doing
something not installed by default was not worth the effort, it would
be a pretty lame distro!

We even include a blurb in our release notes on how to make the pretty
lock dialog show up:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Beats/Desktop

Anyone who's already followed that guidance will see a pretty themed
lock dialog *by default*. What would *really* suck is for new users
to read the Release Notes, follow the instructions, and then see an
old F8 lock dialog when they tried it out.

Old 04-15-2008, 02:09 AM
Mark

2008/4/15, Paul W. Frields <stickster@gmail.com>:
> On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 02:16:27PM +0200, Mark wrote:
> > > >

> > > There may be a slightly large debate about this, because I think the
> > > artsy lock dialog is disabled by default upstream. However I'm all for
> > > this.
> > >
> > > +1 -- ian
> >
> > any news here on those splashes?
> > Current case is still that the F8 gnome splash is used in F9 and the
> > lock dialog is still the plain ugly version. (tested on fully updated
> > F9)
>

> The lock dialog defaults to the "plain" version for usability reasons
> -- that's something that's been decided upstream by GNOME and we
> probably won't be changing it any time soon.

sad that things so simple need to be done upstream while fedora
patches away anything that might give them patent issues. lust look at
normal codecs that work for everyone (mpeg, mp3 you name it).

> But *not* making a prettier dialog just because it's not the default
> seems very silly to me. After all, I work on maintaining packages
> that aren't installed by default. If everyone felt that doing
> something not installed by default was not worth the effort, it would
> be a pretty lame distro!

Perhaps you need to go back in the archives for a few minutes. Back in
the fedora 8 development cycle i also requested a themed lock dialog
and it was made in the fedora 8 theme and _should_ be enabled by
default. That promise wasn't kept so i'm not gonna put time in this
particular part until i get the promise that it's actually gonna be
used.

It's just a statement that i'm making here. I'm not gonna put my time
in things that should be enabled by default but are for some reason
(whatever it is) not on. If this is really so hard to get in then
fedora is having policy issues.

> We even include a blurb in our release notes on how to make the pretty
> lock dialog show up:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Beats/Desktop
>
> Anyone who's already followed that guidance will see a pretty themed
> lock dialog *by default*. What would *really* suck is for new users
> to read the Release Notes, follow the instructions, and then see an
> old F8 lock dialog when they tried it out.

If you don't like my point in this (or Nicu or Ian who seem to have
the same point of view) then feel free to do it yourself. It's easy to
do and i'm sure that there are a lot of people around you that can
help you.

Let me clear it up a little more in my point of view.
Fedora is a nice distribution, no doubt about that, but it has issues
when it comes to uniform theme things. Some things are themed some
aren't and that's the case for as long as fedora is existing. Keep
everything plain or skinned not a mixture like is the case to this
day.

Old 04-15-2008, 02:15 AM
Ian Weller

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008, Paul W. Frields wrote:

Anyone who's already followed that guidance will see a pretty themed
lock dialog *by default*. What would *really* suck is for new users
to read the Release Notes, follow the instructions, and then see an
old F8 lock dialog when they tried it out.

+1

I'm going to get to work on the lock screen dialog. I'll post to the
list when I get it done. -- ian

Old 04-15-2008, 02:18 AM
Ian Weller

On Tue, 15 Apr 2008, Mark wrote:

Let me clear it up a little more in my point of view.
Fedora is a nice distribution, no doubt about that, but it has issues
when it comes to uniform theme things. Some things are themed some
aren't and that's the case for as long as fedora is existing. Keep
everything plain or skinned not a mixture like is the case to this
day.

Some things are based on upstream. Fedora tries to keep as close to
upstream as possible without it being buggy or on the ForbiddenItems
list.

There are perfectly reasonable arguments both ways, but I happen to
prefer the packager's standpoint, which is stay as close to upstream as
possible.

-- ian