Old 04-07-2008, 03:59 PM
Paul Michael Reilly

Default Dual head in F9 on KDE spin

I'd love nothing more than to attest that F9-Beta KDE spin works
perfectly on both my external monitors using the nv driver for an nVidia
Quatro something (my hp nw9440 laptop uses a G71 as near as I can tell),
... but I cannot. :-(

If it is supposed to be setup using System Config Display then I'm done
and I'll wait for nVidia support from livna. S-C-D is one of those few
tools causes me to wish awful, unspeakable, things to the perpetrator of
said folly --- and yes, I have submitted bugs on it. My adult son
wasn't born when I first submitted a bug on S-C-D.

If this functionality is randr supplied then it does not work, as near
as I can tell. I do recollect some message snippet that randr is not
fully complete in the beta and I will gladly pay attention to updates,
try again and report on my results. And even test it on a few more
graphics chips. Is there a reference that answers the question: "How
do I get my xyz graphics chip running dual head on Fedora?" Preferably
dealing only with Fedora "blessed" drivers and addressing both Gnome and
KDE spins. Documentation abounds on the non-free approaches.

Thanks,

-pmr

Old 04-07-2008, 04:08 PM
"Mary Ellen Foster"

On 07/04/2008, Paul Michael Reilly <pmr@pajato.com> wrote:
> I'd love nothing more than to attest that F9-Beta KDE spin works perfectly
> on both my external monitors using the nv driver for an nVidia Quatro
> something (my hp nw9440 laptop uses a G71 as near as I can tell), ... but I
> cannot. :-(

If I recall correctly (somebody correct me if I'm wrong!), KDE4's
support for randr 1.2 is not complete at the moment. It certainly
doesn't do anything good with clone mode -- you end up with two
overlapping copies of your desktop. I think I did get close to having
it work with side-by-side displays (Intel graphics), but it took some
trial-and-error. I should try again more systematically.

MEF

--
Mary Ellen Foster -- http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/mef/
Informatik 6: Robotics and Embedded Systems, Technische Universität München