Old 04-06-2008, 09:19 PM
"Mark Bidewell"

Default Pungi and Revisor

I have been playing with Pungi and revisor and have a strange problem.* When I boot the resulting iso for graphical installation.* X starts but not the anaconda installer - just a black screen with the X mouse cursor.* Any ideas what could cause this?

Mark Bidewell

Old 04-06-2008, 10:24 PM
Jesse Keating

On Sun, 2008-04-06 at 17:19 -0400, Mark Bidewell wrote:

> I have been playing with Pungi and revisor and have a strange problem. When
> I boot the resulting iso for graphical installation. X starts but not the
> anaconda installer - just a black screen with the X mouse cursor. Any ideas
> what could cause this?

You'd have to look on the other virtual terminals to see what messages
are being printed, likely there is an error somewhere.

--
Jesse Keating

Old 04-07-2008, 12:04 AM
Jarod Wilson

On Sunday 06 April 2008 06:24:10 pm Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-04-06 at 17:19 -0400, Mark Bidewell wrote:
> >

> > I have been playing with Pungi and revisor and have a strange problem. When
> > I boot the resulting iso for graphical installation. X starts but not the
> > anaconda installer - just a black screen with the X mouse cursor. Any ideas
> > what could cause this?
>
> You'd have to look on the other virtual terminals to see what messages
> are being printed, likely there is an error somewhere.

If its an F8-based spin, its a known issue. The Fedora Unity guys have a patched anaconda build that fixes it...

http://git.kanarip.com/?p=anaconda/.git;a=shortlog;h=f8-branch

--
Jarod Wilson
jwilson@redhat.com

Old 04-07-2008, 12:18 AM
"Mark Bidewell"

That's it thanks.* BTW could someone point me to some comparison of revisor and pungi?* It seems that they are virtually identical.* Also, do either one support RHEL/CentOS as well?

Mark Bidewell

Old 04-07-2008, 12:32 AM
Jarod Wilson

On Sunday 06 April 2008 08:18:57 pm Mark Bidewell wrote:
> That's it thanks. BTW could someone point me to some comparison of revisor
> and pungi? It seems that they are virtually identical.

Revisor has a gui, pungi doesn't? Honestly, I have yet to play with revisor more than to fire it up and poke around briefly, so I dunno exactly how the two are tied together. Long been on my TODO list though...

> Also, do either one support RHEL/CentOS as well?

Pungi doesn't officially support 'em, but there's a hacked up version of pungi out there in the wild that works well enough for at least RHEL5 Server...

--
Jarod Wilson
jwilson@redhat.com

Old 04-09-2008, 09:08 PM
Jeroen van Meeuwen

Mark Bidewell wrote:
That's it thanks. BTW could someone point me to some comparison of
revisor and pungi? It seems that they are virtually identical. Also,
do either one support RHEL/CentOS as well?

Revisor supports spinning CentOS 5 from Fedora 7+ at least, and the
latest and greatest should also run on CentOS 5 (but I have no station
to test it on).

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen
-kanarip

Old 04-09-2008, 09:10 PM
Jeroen van Meeuwen

Jarod Wilson wrote:

I have been playing with Pungi and revisor and have a strange problem. When
I boot the resulting iso for graphical installation. X starts but not the
anaconda installer - just a black screen with the X mouse cursor. Any ideas
what could cause this?

You'd have to look on the other virtual terminals to see what messages
are being printed, likely there is an error somewhere.

If its an F8-based spin, its a known issue. The Fedora Unity guys have a patched anaconda build that fixes it...

http://git.kanarip.com/?p=anaconda/.git;a=shortlog;h=f8-branch

There's Koji built packages also. More information on:

http://blogs.fedoraunity.org/kanarip/updates-to-anaconda and
http://www.kanarip.com/anaconda/f8/

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen
-kanarip

Old 04-10-2008, 04:37 AM
Kevin Kofler

Jeroen van Meeuwen <kanarip <at> kanarip.com> writes:
> There's Koji built packages also. More information on:
>
> http://blogs.fedoraunity.org/kanarip/updates-to-anaconda and
> http://www.kanarip.com/anaconda/f8/

It's sad that you have to distribute these over your own infrastructure. IMHO,
you should be given comaintainership of anaconda, at least for the released
versions of Fedora.

Kevin Kofler