Old 04-06-2008, 06:34 PM
"Optimization Kit"

Default OptimizationKit 0.1.2-rc1

Hi,

I'm a developer of OptimizationKit daemon

"OptimizationKit is tool (daemon) for making optimal work of Linux, according to
parameters given in the configuration file. It allows to chagne CFS, CFQ,
Deadline and Aticipatory scheduling parameters for task depending on
configuration.
[..]
OptimizationKit allows to use cgroups mechanism for 2.6.24 and above version
of kernel. This mechanism allows to split users into groups, which allocates
quantified system stocks."
see doc/doc_en.txt for more informations

I'm looking for a Fedora developer who is willing to create and
maintain a OptimizationKit RPM package.

http://download.tuxfamily.org/optimization/OptimizationKit/v0.1/OptimizationKit-0.1.2_rc1.tar.bz2

Regards,
Michal

Old 04-06-2008, 06:46 PM
Oliver Falk

Optimization Kit schrieb:

Hi,

I'm a developer of OptimizationKit daemon

"OptimizationKit is tool (daemon) for making optimal work of Linux, according to
parameters given in the configuration file. It allows to chagne CFS, CFQ,
Deadline and Aticipatory scheduling parameters for task depending on
configuration.
[..]
OptimizationKit allows to use cgroups mechanism for 2.6.24 and above version
of kernel. This mechanism allows to split users into groups, which allocates
quantified system stocks."
see doc/doc_en.txt for more informations

I'm looking for a Fedora developer who is willing to create and
maintain a OptimizationKit RPM package.

http://download.tuxfamily.org/optimization/OptimizationKit/v0.1/OptimizationKit-0.1.2_rc1.tar.bz2

* The website (optimizationkit.org) is only Polish :-(
* It's not autotools aware. It's a - sorry, no offense - stupid
install.sh....

:-(

I'd love to help, but only if both above mentioned points are 'fixed'. :-)

Best,
Oliver

Old 04-06-2008, 07:22 PM
"Optimization Kit"

On 06/04/2008, Oliver Falk <oliver@linux-kernel.at> wrote:
> Optimization Kit schrieb:
[..]
> * The website (optimizationkit.org) is only Polish :-(

I added some documentation
http://optimizationkit.org/node/12
and EN forum
http://optimizationkit.org/forum

> * It's not autotools aware. It's a - sorry, no offense - stupid
> install.sh....

RPM package should solve this problem

> :-(
>
> I'd love to help, but only if both above mentioned points are 'fixed'. :-)
>
> Best,
> Oliver

Regards,
Michal

Old 04-06-2008, 07:35 PM
Rahul Sundaram

Optimization Kit wrote:

* The website (optimizationkit.org) is only Polish :-(

I added some documentation
http://optimizationkit.org/node/12
and EN forum
http://optimizationkit.org/forum

* It's not autotools aware. It's a - sorry, no offense - stupid
install.sh....

RPM package should solve this problem

Using Autotools will solve this problem. We can use RPM to workaround
the problem but that is not really the way to go.

Rahul

Old 04-06-2008, 07:42 PM
"Balbir Singh"

On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 12:04 AM, Optimization Kit
<optimizationkit@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a developer of OptimizationKit daemon
>
> "OptimizationKit is tool (daemon) for making optimal work of Linux, according to
> parameters given in the configuration file. It allows to chagne CFS, CFQ,
> Deadline and Aticipatory scheduling parameters for task depending on
> configuration.
> [..]
> OptimizationKit allows to use cgroups mechanism for 2.6.24 and above version
> of kernel. This mechanism allows to split users into groups, which allocates
> quantified system stocks."
> see doc/doc_en.txt for more informations
>
> I'm looking for a Fedora developer who is willing to create and
> maintain a OptimizationKit RPM package.
>
> http://download.tuxfamily.org/optimization/OptimizationKit/v0.1/OptimizationKit-0.1.2_rc1.tar.bz2
>
> Regards,
> Michal

Hi, Michal,

We are trying to do something similar with libcg. We do provide
configuration files and configuration and an API to program control
groups (cgroups). Please see http://libcg.sf.net. Is there a reason
why a C API or programming interface is not provided in Optimization
Kit?

Thanks,
Balbir

Old 04-06-2008, 07:47 PM
Miloslav Trmač

Rahul Sundaram p*še v Po 07. 04. 2008 v 01:05 +0530:
> Optimization Kit wrote:
> > On 06/04/2008, Oliver Falk <oliver@linux-kernel.at> wrote:
> >> Optimization Kit schrieb:
> >> * It's not autotools aware. It's a - sorry, no offense - stupid
> >> install.sh....
> >
> > RPM package should solve this problem
>
> Using Autotools will solve this problem. We can use RPM to workaround
> the problem but that is not really the way to go.
Not using autotools is not a problem at all. The Fedora rpm macros are
prepared to make packaging software that uses autotools simple, but that
doesn't mean autotools are required.

Some people might want the package build process to be similar to other
packages (at least roughly matching the GNU coding standards), but that
does not necessarily imply using autotools either.
Mirek

Old 04-06-2008, 07:52 PM
Konrad Meyer

Quoth Miloslav Trmač:

> Rahul Sundaram p*še v Po 07. 04. 2008 v 01:05 +0530:
> > >
> > > RPM package should solve this problem
> >
> > Using Autotools will solve this problem. We can use RPM to workaround
> > the problem but that is not really the way to go.
> Not using autotools is not a problem at all. The Fedora rpm macros are
> prepared to make packaging software that uses autotools simple, but that
> doesn't mean autotools are required.
>
> Some people might want the package build process to be similar to other
> packages (at least roughly matching the GNU coding standards), but that
> does not necessarily imply using autotools either.
> Mirek

Autotools or not, something other than install.sh is in order.

Konrad Meyer <konrad@tylerc.org>

Old 04-06-2008, 08:10 PM
"Optimization Kit"

Hi Balbir,

On 06/04/2008, Balbir Singh <bsingharora@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, Michal,
>
> We are trying to do something similar with libcg.

Yes, I know.

> We do provide
> configuration files and configuration and an API to program control
> groups (cgroups). Please see http://libcg.sf.net. Is there a reason
> why a C API or programming interface is not provided in Optimization
> Kit?

I asked about Python bindings in "[RFC] libcg: design and plans" thread.

"As of now we don't plan to support python. if the community requires, we
can always add support."
-- Dhaval Giani

BTW. Where are libcg sources?
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=218421

> Thanks,
>
> Balbir

Regards,
Michal

Old 04-06-2008, 08:11 PM
"Optimization Kit"

On 06/04/2008, Konrad Meyer <konrad@tylerc.org> wrote:
[..]

> Autotools or not, something other than install.sh is in order.

I will try to fix this "problem"

Old 04-06-2008, 08:14 PM
Kevin Kofler

Oliver Falk <oliver <at> linux-kernel.at> writes:
> * It's not autotools aware. It's a - sorry, no offense - stupid
> install.sh....

And where's the problem?

IMHO, the autotools cause more problems than they solve.

It is preferred to have separate compilation and installation steps rather than
a single install.sh which does everything (even though we can also work with
the latter, it just means we have to compile it during %install rather
than %build as expected), and there must be a way to install to $RPM_BUILD_ROOT
rather than /, but otherwise I don't see what's wrong with homegrown scripts if
the program is small enough.

Once you have more than one source file, a makefile will serve you better than
a script though. And if you need a real build system, I'd suggest using cmake,
KDE switched from autotools to cmake for a reason (more than one, actually).

Kevin Kofler