Old 04-04-2008, 04:12 PM
John Reiser

Default incremental static module addition to kernel

Harald Hoyer wrote:
> Compiling these modules, which are loaded on nearly every PC, in the
> kernel ...

How about letting the end system administrator add modules statically.
Make a utility program which uncompresses a kernel, incrementally adds
(loads, as /bin/ld) a list of modules, then re-compresses the modified
kernel. The original kernel needs a compiled-in ["meta-"]module
to provide hooks for initialization of the added modules.

Old 04-22-2008, 06:42 PM
Jon Masters

On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 09:12 -0700, John Reiser wrote:
> Harald Hoyer wrote:
> > Compiling these modules, which are loaded on nearly every PC, in the
> > kernel ...
>
> How about letting the end system administrator add modules statically.
> Make a utility program which uncompresses a kernel, incrementally adds
> (loads, as /bin/ld) a list of modules, then re-compresses the modified
> kernel. The original kernel needs a compiled-in ["meta-"]module
> to provide hooks for initialization of the added modules.

Meant to reply sooner, such is life, but I think this is a really bad
idea - it's what some of the other OSes out there have considered, but
it's not something that we should be doing IMO

You can't just add modules to the kernel in the manner that you
describe, though conceptually it is a bit like that. For built-in
modules, there is a module list with init functions called during
bringup, and with a bit of munging one could get the kernel image
"extensible" in this fashion...but it's not worth the effort.

Jon.