Old 04-03-2008, 11:36 PM
"Jeff Spaleta"

Default Network Manager Summary

On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 3:02 PM, Mike Chambers <mike@miketc.com> wrote:
> I also called up that UI and I had *NO* listings in there, yet I have
> eth0 and worked fine with the "network" service. I think maybe there
> was dns issue when trying to use network manager,and either/neither eth0
> was discovered, or dns didn't work? But *all* of the buttons were
> grayed out for me on that UI.

If you have used the system-config-network dialog to manage devices
you'll need to use the dialog again, edit the device and make sure
NetworkManager controlled is enabled.

It appears that the system-config-network gui defaults to turning off
NetworkManager control by setting the appropriate variable in the
ifcfg file it creates for the device... for any dievice you configure
through the system-config-network dialog. You have to go back into
the gui and explicitly ask for NM control for the device for NM to
list it.

So once you use the legacy dialog for anything.. you pretty much could
be telling NM to no longer show the device. I ran into this on F8
too.

-jef

Old 04-03-2008, 11:57 PM
Mike Chambers

On Thu, 2008-04-03 at 15:36 -0800, Jeff Spaleta wrote:

> If you have used the system-config-network dialog to manage devices
> you'll need to use the dialog again, edit the device and make sure
> NetworkManager controlled is enabled.

Thanks for the tip, as I did have to go back into the legacy UI and
enable Network Manager to control it.

BUT, the problem seems to be, that after I set it so network didn't
start, and network manager did, that my /etc/resolv.conf file got
emptied and didn't have dns. I had to add it manually. Going to reboot
after sending this email to see if it stays this time. Or does it get
removed each time anyway and this is a bug?

--
Mike Chambers
mikec302@fedoraproject.org

Old 04-04-2008, 12:07 AM
Mike Chambers

On Thu, 2008-04-03 at 18:57 -0500, Mike Chambers wrote:

> BUT, the problem seems to be, that after I set it so network didn't
> start, and network manager did, that my /etc/resolv.conf file got
> emptied and didn't have dns. I had to add it manually. Going to reboot
> after sending this email to see if it stays this time. Or does it get
> removed each time anyway and this is a bug?

The /etc/resolv.conf file does indeed get emptied (file exists, just no
info) upon shutdown/boot up. Although the one
in /etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/resolv.conf file is filled
out but I am guessing not ready by NM. Soooo, I thought I read about
the ifcfg-ethx file having dns info inside it? IF so, what paramaters
are used to list it there? DNS seems to be about the only thing so far
from NM being completely usable and no configuring at all.

Other thatn that, all is well and services seem to start. ALTHOUGH, I
have experienced that on shutdown, while shutting down quotas, it stays
there and never goes away? Cold boot after to get it going.

Old 04-04-2008, 02:30 AM
Matthew Saltzman

On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 00:43 +0200, Harald Hoyer wrote:
> Owen Taylor wrote:
> > Services:
> >
> > NetworkManager: on
> >
> > network: off. It is possible to mark interfaces
> > in /etc/sysconfig/network to be skipped by NetworkManager
> > (you add something like NMCONTROL=off, though that's not the exactly
> > the right option) and have a hybrid NM + network system, but there's
> > little point. In the normal case NetworkManager starts everything
> > including lo.
>
> use
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-*
> not
> /etc/sysconfig/network

And the keyword is NM_CONTROLLED=no (or yes), also selectable in
system-config-network.

--
Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu
http://www.math.clemson.edu/~mjs

Old 04-04-2008, 03:30 AM
Andrew Farris

Mike Chambers wrote:

[...]

Edit /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-ethx and add DNS1, DNS2, DNS3, and
set PEERDNS=no and networkmanager should pick up and reset your resolv.conf
based on those cfgs and which is configured (i.e. diff interfaces could have
diff nameservers). Also see the thread:

Re: f9 resetting dns nameservers

--
Andrew Farris <lordmorgul@gmail.com> www.lordmorgul.net
gpg 0x8300BF29 fingerprint 071D FFE0 4CBC 13FC 7DEB 5BD5 5F89 8E1B 8300 BF29

Old 04-04-2008, 03:33 AM
Andrew Farris

Andrew Farris wrote:

Edit /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-ethx

Sorry I meant /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ which I believe are then copied by
NM to /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ and
/etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/ (although that last one is where all
the legacy configuration is supposed to take place, so not sure those are kept
up to date by NM or not). On my system they all seem to be staying the same
right now anyway.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:12 AM
José Matos

On Friday 04 April 2008 00:36:42 Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> If you have used the system-config-network dialog to manage devices
> you'll need to use the dialog again, edit the device and make sure
> NetworkManager controlled is enabled.

Both wireless and wired interface had/have the NM controlled bit set.

> It appears that the system-config-network gui defaults to turning off
> NetworkManager control by setting the appropriate variable in the
> ifcfg file it creates for the device... for any dievice you configure
> through the system-config-network dialog. *You have to go back into
> the gui and explicitly ask for NM control for the device for NM to
> list it.
>
> So once you use the legacy dialog for anything.. you pretty much could
> be telling NM to no longer show the device. *I ran into this on F8
> too.

But then this would not explain why I can't add only delete. :-)

--
José Abílio

Old 04-04-2008, 10:53 AM
Mike Chambers

On Thu, 2008-04-03 at 20:30 -0700, Andrew Farris wrote:

> Edit /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-ethx and add DNS1, DNS2, DNS3, and
> set PEERDNS=no and networkmanager should pick up and reset your resolv.conf
> based on those cfgs and which is configured (i.e. diff interfaces could have
> diff nameservers). Also see the thread:
> Re: f9 resetting dns nameservers

Ok, adding dns1 (and so on) and search to
the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 script does let NM write
to resolv.conf and dns and network works.

And haldaemon seems to fail, which I assume is starting too early (or NM
too late) because of using NM? But believe I have seen this discussed
and being figured out.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:55 AM
Harald Hoyer

Andrew Farris wrote:

Mike Chambers wrote:

[...]

NM does not seem to honor PEERDNS=no

Old 04-04-2008, 12:27 PM
Matthew Saltzman

On Thu, 2008-04-03 at 20:33 -0700, Andrew Farris wrote:
> Andrew Farris wrote:
> > Edit /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-ethx
>
> Sorry I meant /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ which I believe are then copied by
> NM to /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ and
> /etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/ (although that last one is where all
> the legacy configuration is supposed to take place, so not sure those are kept
> up to date by NM or not). On my system they all seem to be staying the same
> right now anyway.

They are mutual hardlinks. If you use the profile feature of s-c-n, the
links are changed when you select a new profile.