Old 04-03-2008, 08:20 AM
"Paul F. Johnson"

Default kmail and evolution

Hi,

Due to evolution still refusing to download emails (see
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2008-March/msg01476.html for
details - it's still showing the same behaviour), I'm having to move over to
kmail. I'd rather not though...

kmail seems incredibly slow and has great problems importing all of my
evolution bits and pieces (like email and address books) unless I tell it to
import just the mbox folders - it reaches my main folder (which evolution
seems to store the junk email in as well as my own!), gets to 99% import and
hangs. I can import the mbox but not everything else.

I know kde apps tend to be slower at booting up but are fine running, but
kmail seems sluggish even when running.

I have considered claws and thunderbird, but claws's spam handling system
sucks and thunderbird won't import my evolution folders.

Does anyone have any ideas on getting evolution working again or how to get
kmail to work at something approximating a usable speed?

Using Fedora 8.92 rawhide, fully updated last night.

TTFN

Paul

Old 04-03-2008, 10:04 AM
José Matos

On Thursday 03 April 2008 09:20:36 Paul F. Johnson wrote:
> kmail seems incredibly slow and has great problems importing all of my
> evolution bits and pieces (like email and address books) unless I tell it
> to import just the mbox folders - it reaches my main folder (which
> evolution seems to store the junk email in as well as my own!), gets to 99%
> import and hangs. I can import the mbox but not everything else.
>
> I know kde apps tend to be slower at booting up but are fine running, but
> kmail seems sluggish even when running.
>
> I have considered claws and thunderbird, but claws's spam handling system
> sucks and thunderbird won't import my evolution folders.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas on getting evolution working again or how to get
> kmail to work at something approximating a usable speed?

I use kde exclusively and the slowdown that you mention only happened after
changing from F8 to rawhide. I suspect that this is probably related with the
kernel debug options that particularly hit kmail. This problem does not occur
with other kde applications just with kmail. :-(

--
José Abílio

Old 04-03-2008, 10:38 AM
Mike Chambers

On Thu, 2008-04-03 at 09:20 +0100, Paul F. Johnson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Due to evolution still refusing to download emails (see
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2008-March/msg01476.html for
> details - it's still showing the same behaviour), I'm having to move over to
> kmail. I'd rather not though...
>
> kmail seems incredibly slow and has great problems importing all of my
> evolution bits and pieces (like email and address books) unless I tell it to
> import just the mbox folders - it reaches my main folder (which evolution
> seems to store the junk email in as well as my own!), gets to 99% import and
> hangs. I can import the mbox but not everything else.
>
> I know kde apps tend to be slower at booting up but are fine running, but
> kmail seems sluggish even when running.
>
> I have considered claws and thunderbird, but claws's spam handling system
> sucks and thunderbird won't import my evolution folders.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas on getting evolution working again or how to get
> kmail to work at something approximating a usable speed?

You tried also to remove the .gconf/apps/evolution dir and see if that
helps?

--
Mike Chambers
mikec302@fedoraproject.org

Old 04-03-2008, 11:26 AM
Matej Cepl

On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 05:38:57 -0500, Mike Chambers scripst:
> You tried also to remove the .gconf/apps/evolution dir and see if that
> helps?

This is not a good idea. Do rather

gconftool-2 --recursive-unset /apps/evolution

Matěj

--
The content of this message is licensed under a Creative Commons
Attribution 3.0 License, Some Rights Reserved.

Old 04-03-2008, 04:00 PM
"Paul F. Johnson"

Hi,

> > Does anyone have any ideas on getting evolution working again or how to get
> > kmail to work at something approximating a usable speed?
>
> I use kde exclusively and the slowdown that you mention only
> happened after changing from F8 to rawhide. I suspect that this is
> probably related with the kernel debug options that particularly hit
> kmail. This problem does not occur with other kde applications just
> with kmail. :-(

Any way to turn off the debug options?

TTFN

Paul

Old 04-03-2008, 04:19 PM
Rex Dieter

Paul F. Johnson wrote:

>> > Does anyone have any ideas on getting evolution working again or how to
>> > get kmail to work at something approximating a usable speed?
>>
>> I use kde exclusively and the slowdown that you mention only
>> happened after changing from F8 to rawhide. I suspect that this is
>> probably related with the kernel debug options that particularly hit
>> kmail. This problem does not occur with other kde applications just
>> with kmail. :-(
>
> Any way to turn off the debug options?

Fwiw, most of the core kde pkgs up till now (today 04/03) had debugging
enabled too. We're just now going through and rebuilding everything
optimized with debugging off.

-- Rex

Old 04-03-2008, 04:43 PM
José Matos

On Thursday 03 April 2008 17:19:16 Rex Dieter wrote:
> Fwiw, most of the core kde pkgs up till now (today 04/03) had debugging
> enabled too. *We're just now going through and rebuilding everything
> optimized with debugging off.

Even kde3 packages like kmail?

--
José Abílio

Old 04-03-2008, 05:24 PM
Rex Dieter

José Matos wrote:

> On Thursday 03 April 2008 17:19:16 Rex Dieter wrote:
>> Fwiw, most of the core kde pkgs up till now (today 04/03) had debugging
>> enabled too. *We're just now going through and rebuilding everything
>> optimized with debugging off.

> Even kde3 packages like kmail?

No, only kde4 stuff.

-- Rex

Old 04-03-2008, 05:43 PM
José Matos

On Thursday 03 April 2008 18:24:24 Rex Dieter wrote:
> > * Even kde3 packages like kmail?

Of course the package is kdepim not kmail but you got the idea. :-)

> No, only kde4 stuff.

On the other hand kmail definitively uses kde 4 stuff, it can be seen using
ldd on it. I will report back after the upgrade to the new kde 4
packages. :-)

--
José Abílio

Old 04-08-2008, 08:57 AM
José Matos

On Thursday 03 April 2008 18:43:41 José Matos wrote:
> * On the other hand kmail definitively uses kde 4 stuff, it can be seen
> using ldd on it. I will report back after the upgrade to the new kde 4
> packages. :-)

Just for reference the culprit was the kernel (with debug settings), after
installing 2.6.25-0.204.rc8.git4.fc9.i686 from koji the delay between
messages is barely noticeable. :-)

--
José Abílio