Old 04-03-2008, 08:47 AM
"Paul F. Johnson"

Default Importing .ps files into something! (OOo question)

Hi,

I have a number of files that I've managed to rescue from an old machine (uses
a totally different OS and very old software) by printing the docs to a file.

The .ps files work fine, can be printed, converted to pdf and even imported
into Scribus. I've hit some problems though.

1. I can't edit them. OpenOffice won't import them, neither will kword or
gnome-office. Scribus will import them, but will only export as svg or a
scribus document.

2. If I convert them to a pdf and then use pdf2html the images come out ok,
but the text in the html files is completely garbled. It doesn't matter which
backwards version flag I use, I get rubbish out. The -c(omplex) flag also
produces nothing. I have all of the ghostscript fonts and bits installed.

Is there anything out there that I can import the .ps files into and then
export as an OpenOffice compatible file which will allow me to edit the text?

TTFN

Paul

Old 04-03-2008, 09:22 AM
José Matos

On Thursday 03 April 2008 09:47:14 Paul F. Johnson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a number of files that I've managed to rescue from an old machine
> (uses a totally different OS and very old software) by printing the docs to
> a file.
>
> The .ps files work fine, can be printed, converted to pdf and even imported
> into Scribus. I've hit some problems though.
>
> 1. I can't edit them. OpenOffice won't import them, neither will kword or
> gnome-office. Scribus will import them, but will only export as svg or a
> scribus document.
>
> 2. If I convert them to a pdf and then use pdf2html the images come out ok,
> but the text in the html files is completely garbled. It doesn't matter
> which backwards version flag I use, I get rubbish out. The -c(omplex) flag
> also produces nothing. I have all of the ghostscript fonts and bits
> installed.
>
> Is there anything out there that I can import the .ps files into and then
> export as an OpenOffice compatible file which will allow me to edit the
> text?

Not nice but better than nothing. Use pdftotex to get the text in those
files. You will loose the format but the text is there.

$ rpm -qf /usr/bin/pdftotext
poppler-utils-0.8.0-2.fc9.i386

> TTFN
>
> Paul