Old 04-02-2008, 11:45 PM
Paul

Default Fedora 10 theme ideas

On Wed, 2008-04-02 at 09:54 +0100, Frank Murphy wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-04-02 at 10:40 +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> > Martin Sourada wrote:
> > >
> > > Great. It's good to start this early with the theming, thus we'll have
> > > less problems in the future with time schedule
> >
> > I don't know... if we get again a release name in the middle of Round 2
> > and get the process influenced by that and start wondering about the
> > usefulness of the first round...
> >

> Does the theme have to be based on the Release Name?
> Can the art theme not stand alone?
>
> eg rawhide > Animal Skin.
>
> The skies are nice, but what about:
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/waterfall/clusters/
>
> Roar=Voice, Timeless=Infinite, Flowing=Freedom

I out of those the following are rather nice...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_green/424383601/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/atlapix/1086593983/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dynax7/1053719391/

Paul

Old 04-03-2008, 08:04 AM
Nicu Buculei

Mark wrote:

2008/4/2, Máirín Duffy <duffy@fedoraproject.org>:

We could come up with some very interesting visual ideas to accompany
bathysphere, such as underwater aquatic scenes or we could go for a really
really cool steampunk [1] look (eg

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steampunk

All nice but i fail to see how this could look good in fedora..

Here is q quick concept is a sort of steampunk style (attached - it
could go as a website banner). I think we have a lot of room to create
an entire universe around such a style.

I guess this drawing can also be titled something like "The Golden Age
of Fedora" or "The Golden Age of Linux".

Old 04-03-2008, 08:23 AM
Michael Beckwith

One thing I'm thinking of when I view these steampunk graphics, is that
it may take a lot of attention to detail to pull this off. However, I'm
new to this whole concept of steampunk so I may be wrong as well.

Nicu Buculei wrote:
Mark

2008/4/2, Máirín Duffy

http://ridleytx.structed.net (for now)
http://michaelbox.net (eventually)

Old 04-03-2008, 08:44 AM
Martin Sourada

On Thu, 2008-04-03 at 03:23 -0500, Michael Beckwith wrote:
> One thing I'm thinking of when I view these steampunk graphics, is
> that it may take a lot of attention to detail to pull this off.
> However, I'm new to this whole concept of steampunk so I may be wrong
> as well.

Me too, but the pictures posted before by Mo and others inspired me to
the idea of using gears as the main theme. Originally I thought it would
look interesting if we did something like ink-painted gears on papyrus
(or old looking paper), something that might look ancient but
time-resisting. However, quick search on flickr showed some other
interesting concepts:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mr_physics/218544601/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/noxdineen/221604402/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9335174@N02/1480378673/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hollymcp/511574107/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mhy-design/2014428310/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mr_physics/206657275/in/set-552769/

Martin

Old 04-03-2008, 08:51 AM
Nicu Buculei

Martin Sourada wrote:

Me too, but the pictures posted before by Mo and others inspired me to
the idea of using gears as the main theme. Originally I thought it would
look interesting if we did something like ink-painted gears on papyrus
(or old looking paper), something that might look ancient but
time-resisting. However, quick search on flickr showed some other
interesting concepts:

Or things like this (just don't ask me to draw like it):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/curiousexpeditions/489992128/

Maybe simpler images:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/blusky/94244310/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/blusky/94244314/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/41582768@N00/229337994/

Old 04-03-2008, 08:53 AM
Frank Murphy

On Thu, 2008-04-03 at 10:44 +0200, Martin Sourada wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-04-03 at 03:23 -0500, Michael Beckwith wrote:
> > One thing I'm thinking of when I view these steampunk graphics, is
> > that it may take a lot of attention to detail to pull this off.
> > However, I'm new to this whole concept of steampunk so I may be wrong
> > as well.
> >

> Me too, but the pictures posted before by Mo and others inspired me to
> the idea of using gears as the main theme. Originally I thought it would
> look interesting if we did something like ink-painted gears on papyrus
> (or old looking paper), something that might look ancient but
> time-resisting. However, quick search on flickr showed some other
> interesting concepts:

Thinking on this, and "water" (life)
Watermill, and "neon" can be brought in by moonlight and or fireflies.
With focus on the wheel day, and on the waterflies at night.

Frank

Old 04-03-2008, 08:55 AM
Frank Murphy

On Thu, 2008-04-03 at 11:51 +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> Martin Sourada wrote:
> >
> > Me too, but the pictures posted before by Mo and others inspired me to
> > the idea of using gears as the main theme. Originally I thought it would
> > look interesting if we did something like ink-painted gears on papyrus
> > (or old looking paper), something that might look ancient but
> > time-resisting. However, quick search on flickr showed some other
> > interesting concepts:
>
> Or things like this (just don't ask me to draw like it):
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/curiousexpeditions/489992128/

Think of it as just one gear.

Frank

Old 04-03-2008, 12:06 PM
brian hurren

what about twisted gears or impossible gears, something surreal? ie a cogg twisted into an infinity symbol. ( I can post an example tomorrow)

Nicu Buculei <nicu_fedora@nicubunu.ro> wrote: Martin Sourada wrote:

> Me too, but the pictures posted before by Mo and others inspired me to
> the idea of using gears as the main theme. Originally I thought it would
> look interesting if we did something like ink-painted gears on papyrus
> (or old looking paper), something that might look ancient but
> time-resisting. However, quick search on flickr showed some other
> interesting concepts:

Or things like this (just don't ask me to draw like it):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/curiousexpeditions/489992128/

Maybe simpler
images:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/blusky/94244310/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/blusky/94244314/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/41582768@N00/229337994/

You rock. That's why Blockbuster's offering you one month of Blockbuster Total Access, No Cost._____________________________________________ __
Fedora-art-list mailing list
Fedora-art-list@redhat.com

Old 04-03-2008, 01:22 PM
Máirín Duffy

Michael Beckwith wrote:
One thing I'm thinking of when I view these steampunk graphics, is that
it may take a lot of attention to detail to pull this off. However, I'm
new to this whole concept of steampunk so I may be wrong as well.

Somewhere I have some high-res photos of Paddington Station in London
from when I went to GUADEC last year. It's got a really interesting
steampunky look and I bet the photo would be useful; we could create
brushes or vectorize it and deconstruct it to come up with something cool.

(This is what Paddington station looks like:
http://www.essential-architecture.com/LO/022-Paddington_Station.jpg)

When I get home tonight I'll look for the photo and send it.

~m

Old 04-03-2008, 01:23 PM
Máirín Duffy

brian hurren wrote:
what about twisted gears or impossible gears, something surreal? ie a
cogg twisted into an infinity symbol. ( I can post an example tomorrow)

Sounds cool, I'd love to see it!

~m