Old 04-02-2008, 09:45 PM
Casey Dahlin

Default fWindows Data Migration Tool

Ahmed Kamal wrote:

Microsoft's File and Settings transfer tool migrates:

*

Internet Explorer settings

Good idea. Ditto firefox

*

Outlook Express settings and store

*

Outlook settings and store

Difficult due to diversity of preferred mail clients among Fedora users.
Evo is the sane default, but Tbird usage is still massive.

*

Dial-Up connections

Do we care? Not hard to do either way.

*

Phone and modem options

Simple enough.

*

Accessibility

Might not be 1:1 here, but good faith effort could make this work

*

Screen saver selection

Not likely

*

Fonts

Can be done. Do we want to encourage copying the fonts from windows
though? (The settings themselves are useless unless we go get the fonts
which back them)

*

Folder options

*

Taskbar settings

Not sure about the correspondence here

*

Mouse and keyboard settings

Can do

*

Sounds settings

Could get interesting. Fedora has always had a more sophisticated view
of the sound devices than windows.

*

Regional options

Simple, and a good thing to have.

*

Office settings

Likely to be harder than its worth. OOo and MSOffice are always juuust
different enough that they don't cooperate well.

*

Network drives and printers

Not too hard.

*

Desktop folder

*

My Documents folder

*

My Pictures folder

*

Favorites folder

*

Cookies folder

Gets back to the core "mirroring" aspect.

*

Common Office file types

Not sure what this one means.

--CJD

Old 04-02-2008, 10:33 PM
"King InuYasha"

I'm gonna take a guess and say that Office file type associations are what it is talking about, specifically migrating what Office file type associations. That can be left alone....

On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 4:45 PM, Casey Dahlin <cjdahlin@ncsu.edu> wrote:

Ahmed Kamal wrote:

> Microsoft's File and Settings transfer tool migrates:

> * **

> * * * Internet Explorer settings

Good idea. Ditto firefox

> * **

> * * * Outlook Express settings and store

> * **

> * * * Outlook settings and store

Difficult due to diversity of preferred mail clients among Fedora users.

Evo is the sane default, but Tbird usage is still massive.

> * **

> * * * Dial-Up connections

Do we care? Not hard to do either way.

> * **

> * * * Phone and modem options

Simple enough.

> * **

> * * * Accessibility

Might not be 1:1 here, but good faith effort could make this work

> * **

> * * * Screen saver selection

Not likely

> * **

> * * * Fonts

Can be done. Do we want to encourage copying the fonts from windows

though? (The settings themselves are useless unless we go get the fonts

which back them)

> * **

> * * * Folder options

> * **

> * * * Taskbar settings

Not sure about the correspondence here

> * **

> * * * Mouse and keyboard settings

Can do

> * **

> * * * Sounds settings

Could get interesting. Fedora has always had a more sophisticated view

of the sound devices than windows.

> * **

> * * * Regional options

Simple, and a good thing to have.

> * **

> * * * Office settings

Likely to be harder than its worth. OOo and MSOffice are always juuust

different enough that they don't cooperate well.

> * **

> * * * Network drives and printers

Not too hard.

> * **

> * * * Desktop folder

> * **

> * * * My Documents folder

> * **

> * * * My Pictures folder

> * **

> * * * Favorites folder

> * **

> * * * Cookies folder

Gets back to the core "mirroring" aspect.

> * **

> * * * Common Office file types

Not sure what this one means.

--CJD