Old 04-02-2008, 09:35 PM
Casey Dahlin

Default Fedora Windows Migration Tool

Jeff Spaleta wrote:

2008/4/1 nikhil bharadwaj <nikhil.bbharadwaj@yahoo.com
<mailto:nikhil.bbharadwaj@yahoo.com>>:

I have an idea of importing all the Windows documents,files,etc.
into the Fedora partition during the installation. Also,
maintaining a sync of all the files in both the OS's.

A detailed overview and concept of the idea is in the given link:

http://nikhilbharadwaj.wordpress.com/fedora-project-soc-2008/

I'm sort of confused on a couple of things....

why a mirror of the data across partitions? If we are able to mount
ntfs on a per user basis... why not find a way to use the ntfs
partition as the data location for the common data for the user in
situations where users care about cross operating system access?
We already have a system to redirect what directories are
programtically used:

http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/xdg-user-dirs
Can't the technology here be extended to make use of an ntfs data
store without the complexity of mirroring?

Then we have the victory issue. "Hey, Fedora is great! Now I want to get
rid of my Windows partition." Solvable but not free of charge. This does
save the actual time cost of mirroring though, which is significant
considering that if the user is frequently switching we have to check
for updates to the windows side at every login.

Why at install time.. versus an option that can be invoked for any
user at user creation time or any later time generally though the
system-config-user dialog? Don't people have multiple users defined
commonly on home XP and Vista systems? Don't we need to be able to
configure the OS data syncing for multiple users by mapping a fedora
username to the corresponding username on the XP system?

I think this is/has been proposed here, but it is a good idea to begin
offering the feature at install time, as well as make it continuously
available post-install.

--CJD

Old 04-02-2008, 09:56 PM
"Jeff Spaleta"

On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 1:35 PM, Casey Dahlin <cjdahlin@ncsu.edu> wrote:
> Then we have the victory issue. "Hey, Fedora is great! Now I want to get
> rid of my Windows partition." Solvable but not free of charge. This does
> save the actual time cost of mirroring though, which is significant
> considering that if the user is frequently switching we have to check for
> updates to the windows side at every login.

You mirror when they are ready to nuke one OS or the other. That's a
relatively simple problem to solve,,because its essentially a backup
and everyone should be backing up personal data that they care about
already. You backup your personal data o external storage right?

Synced mirroring while both are in use is uhm...a lot of wasted disk
writes. Sure you can do it... the unison tool exists...but its not
really appropriate beyond running backups because while your syncing
you'll notice a disk performance hit. I wouldn't want unison to be
running on my dual boot laptop for instance, stealing my battery life
or my disk performance trying to keep my porn collection synced across
two partitions. And I wouldn't leave my laptop on overnight just to
let the sync perform either.

Take your pick.. is the usage scenario user is leaving windows for
good.. or is the usage scenario continued dual boot with a shared data
space? Very different problems.

> I think this is/has been proposed here, but it is a good idea to begin
> offering the feature at install time, as well as make it continuously
> available post-install.

Because making something available in the install process is be
definition a higher bar to meet than making it available for use as a
post-install administration task because the installer process can not
and will not expose all possible administration actions. The install
space is constrained to be a subset of customization space First get
it working as a general administration task, then worry about exposing
it in the install process. Don't build it targeting the installer and
setting expectations inappropriately.

-jef

Old 04-02-2008, 10:50 PM
"Arthur Pemberton"

On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 3:35 PM, Casey Dahlin <cjdahlin@ncsu.edu> wrote:
> Jeff Spaleta wrote:
>

> > 2008/4/1 nikhil bharadwaj <nikhil.bbharadwaj@yahoo.com
> <mailto:nikhil.bbharadwaj@yahoo.com>>:
> >

> > I have an idea of importing all the Windows documents,files,etc.
> > into the Fedora partition during the installation. Also,
> > maintaining a sync of all the files in both the OS's.
> >
> > A detailed overview and concept of the idea is in the given link:
> >
> > http://nikhilbharadwaj.wordpress.com/fedora-project-soc-2008/
> >

> > I'm sort of confused on a couple of things....
> >
> > why a mirror of the data across partitions? If we are able to mount ntfs
> on a per user basis... why not find a way to use the ntfs partition as the
> data location for the common data for the user in situations where users
> care about cross operating system access?
> > We already have a system to redirect what directories are programtically
> used:
> > http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/xdg-user-dirs
> > Can't the technology here be extended to make use of an ntfs data store
> without the complexity of mirroring?
> >

> Then we have the victory issue. "Hey, Fedora is great! Now I want to get
> rid of my Windows partition." Solvable but not free of charge. This does
> save the actual time cost of mirroring though, which is significant
> considering that if the user is frequently switching we have to check for
> updates to the windows side at every login.
>

> > Why at install time.. versus an option that can be invoked for any user at
> user creation time or any later time generally though the system-config-user
> dialog? Don't people have multiple users defined commonly on home XP and
> Vista systems? Don't we need to be able to configure the OS data syncing
> for multiple users by mapping a fedora username to the corresponding
> username on the XP system?
> >
> I think this is/has been proposed here, but it is a good idea to begin
> offering the feature at install time, as well as make it continuously
> available post-install.

As I suggested before, make it like firstboot

( www.pembo13.com )

Old 04-03-2008, 03:32 PM
Gilboa Davara

> I'm sort of confused on a couple of things....
>
> why a mirror of the data across partitions? If we are able to mount
> ntfs on a per user basis... why not find a way to use the ntfs
> partition as the data location for the common data for the user in
> situations where users care about cross operating system access?
> We already have a system to redirect what directories are
> programtically used:
> http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/xdg-user-dirs
> Can't the technology here be extended to make use of an ntfs data
> store without the complexity of mirroring?

A couple of problems. (and I may be wrong here)
A. ntfs-3g is slow (compared to native FS).
B. NTFS write isn't five-9's yet.
C. Missing inotify support. (At least AFAIK).
D. Lack of NTFS check disk in ntfs-3g. (No way to fix a broken FS if the
Windows boot dies)
E. Last time I checked ntfs-3g + SAMBA didn't really get along.

... Never the less, the migration tool can give the user the option to
decide which course to take: Copy-to-native or ntfs-3g-mount. (While
explaining the consequences of each choice)

> Why at install time.. versus an option that can be invoked for any
> user at user creation time or any later time generally though the
> system-config-user dialog? Don't people have multiple users defined
> commonly on home XP and Vista systems? Don't we need to be able to
> configure the OS data syncing for multiple users by mapping a fedora
> username to the corresponding username on the XP system?

Sounds reasonable enough.
One question though - how do you auto-resync a document, bookmarks, etc
when both ends changed?

> -jef

- Gilboa

Old 04-03-2008, 04:30 PM
"Jeff Spaleta"

On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 7:32 AM, Gilboa Davara <gilboad@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sounds reasonable enough.
> One question though - how do you auto-resync a document, bookmarks, etc
> when both ends changed?

yum info unison

-jef

Old 04-03-2008, 07:14 PM
"Joe Harnish"

On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 12:30 PM, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 7:32 AM, Gilboa Davara <gilboad@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Sounds reasonable enough.
> > One question though - how do you auto-resync a document, bookmarks, etc
> > when both ends changed?
>

> yum info unison
>

> -jef

www.conduit-project.com