Old 04-02-2008, 09:06 PM
"Jeff Spaleta"

Default Fedora Windows Migration Tool

2008/4/1 nikhil bharadwaj <nikhil.bbharadwaj@yahoo.com>:

I have an idea of importing all the Windows documents,files,etc. into the Fedora partition during the installation. Also, maintaining a sync of all the files in both the OS's.

A detailed overview and concept of the idea is in the given link:

http://nikhilbharadwaj.wordpress.com/fedora-project-soc-2008/

I'm sort of confused on a couple of things....

*why a mirror of the data across partitions? If we are able to mount ntfs on a per user basis... why not find a way to use the ntfs partition as the data location for the common data for the user in situations where users care about cross operating system access?

We already have a system to redirect what directories are programtically used:
http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/xdg-user-dirs
Can't the technology here be extended to make use of an ntfs data store without the complexity of mirroring?

Why at install time.. versus an option that can be invoked for any user at user creation time or any later time generally though the system-config-user dialog?* Don't people have multiple users defined commonly on home XP and Vista systems?* Don't we need to be able to configure the OS data syncing for multiple users by mapping a fedora username to the corresponding username on the XP system?*

-jef