Old 04-02-2008, 02:12 PM
Harald Hoyer

Default Summary of my Fedora 9 Boot Time Testing

F9 Beta install -> yum update

Boot time: 55s

Turning off all services, but the most needed for an internet connected desktop, saves 4s from 12.5s service
boot time. IMO not worth the loss of functionality.

Turning off rhgb saves 6s. Eyecandy or faster booting? I take the 6s. Thanks.

Turning off selinux and related services saves 10s overall boot time. Trading off security with boot time. I
don't know. But maybe a good starting point for optimization.

Also a good point to look at is nash and module handling and compiling some modules in the kernel, which are
hardware independent and not needed as a module.

In the end, I had 12s for kernel and nash, 8s rc.sysinit including 5s udev and 8.5s for services until X11 starts.

So long and happy booting...

Harald

Old 04-02-2008, 02:27 PM
"Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek"

2008/4/2, Harald Hoyer <harald@redhat.com>:
> F9 Beta install -> yum update
>
> Boot time: 55s

Very long... Too long.

> So long and happy booting...

I hope Fedora with 10th release, as some kind of anniversary, will try
do make book process quicker and better.

Waiting one minute for system startup is... awful? However, that's only default.

I this my little optimization have 32s. May be better, but it's good.

--
Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek
http://liviopl.jogger.pl/

Old 04-02-2008, 02:49 PM
"Optimization Kit"

On 02/04/2008, Harald Hoyer <harald@redhat.com> wrote:
> F9 Beta install -> yum update
>
> Boot time: 55s
>
> Turning off all services, but the most needed for an internet connected
> desktop, saves 4s from 12.5s service boot time. IMO not worth the loss of
> functionality.

55s - 12.5s = 42.5s

42.5s from boot manager to rc5 if I understand it correctly. Strange!

Here is a worst case scenario on my machine 30s to rc5
http://www.stardust.webpages.pl/files/fedora-upstart/bootchart-serial.png

> Turning off rhgb saves 6s. Eyecandy or faster booting? I take the 6s.
> Thanks.
>
> Turning off selinux and related services saves 10s overall boot time.
> Trading off security with boot time. I don't know. But maybe a good starting
> point for optimization.

Fedora has wonderful security features. I tuned boot time to 29s
without disabling them.

http://www.stardust.webpages.pl/files/bootchart04.png

> Also a good point to look at is nash and module handling and compiling some
> modules in the kernel, which are hardware independent and not needed as a
> module.
>
> In the end, I had 12s for kernel and nash, 8s rc.sysinit including 5s udev
> and 8.5s for services until X11 starts.
>

> So long and happy booting...
>
> Harald

Regards,
Michal

Old 04-02-2008, 03:09 PM
Harald Hoyer

Optimization Kit wrote:

Turning off all services, but the most needed for an internet connected
desktop, saves 4s from 12.5s service boot time. IMO not worth the loss of
functionality.

55s - 12.5s = 42.5s

42.5s from boot manager to rc5 if I understand it correctly. Strange!

no... 12.5 = runlevel start -> X11 start ... overall boot time in the bootchart ends with the gdm greeter

Here is a worst case scenario on my machine 30s to rc5
http://www.stardust.webpages.pl/files/fedora-upstart/bootchart-serial.png

arping in network static startup and "rdisc", which I don't know.

Turning off rhgb saves 6s. Eyecandy or faster booting? I take the 6s.
Thanks.

Turning off selinux and related services saves 10s overall boot time.
Trading off security with boot time. I don't know. But maybe a good starting
point for optimization.

Fedora has wonderful security features. I tuned boot time to 29s
without disabling them.

http://www.stardust.webpages.pl/files/bootchart04.png

well, this is what I mean.
Look at http://people.fedoraproject.org/~harald/bootchart-6.svg

You have compiled your own kernel, without modules, IIRC. See how fast nash is in your chart.

You Me
until rc.sysinit start: 4 12
rc.sysinit duration: 7.4 9
rc -> X11 start: 10 8