Old 03-31-2008, 05:42 PM
"Optimization Kit"

Default F9 parallel vs. serial bootscript

On 31/03/2008, Simo Sorce <ssorce@redhat.com> wrote:

> > > I'm using something like this:
> > >
> > > messagebus depends on rsyslog
> > > haldaemon depends on messagebus
> > > NetworkManager depends on haldaemon
> > >
> > > deps for NetworkManager are resolved.
> >
> > For things with a linear set, yes. But not everything is so fortunate.
>

> Yeah, think what happen if you rsyslog is configured to send logs over
> the network ...

So the only way to solve it is "start on started network" in rsyslog... hmmm...

rsyslog depends on network
messagebus depends on rsyslog
haldaemon depends on messagebus
NetworkManager depends on haldaemon - provides network

closed chain

Something like a Fedora boot dependency graph would be useful

I have found this on Ubuntu upstart page
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ReplacementInitscripts?action=AttachFile&do=get&ta rget=Graph.png
might be useful

Regards,
Michal

Old 03-31-2008, 05:43 PM
Bill Nottingham

Optimization Kit (optimizationkit@gmail.com) said:
> So the only way to solve it is "start on started network" in rsyslog... hmmm...
>
> rsyslog depends on network
> messagebus depends on rsyslog
> haldaemon depends on messagebus
> NetworkManager depends on haldaemon - provides network
>
> closed chain

This is why static LSB deps are bad...

Bill

Old 03-31-2008, 05:58 PM
Casey Dahlin

Optimization Kit wrote:

On 31/03/2008, Harald Hoyer <harald@redhat.com> wrote:

Optimization Kit wrote:
> On 31/03/2008, Harald Hoyer <harald@redhat.com> wrote:
>> Optimization Kit wrote:
>> > TODO:
>> > - A better dependency handling
>> >
>> > Your comments and suggestions are welcome.
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> > Michal
>> >

>> You may also parse the LSB Tags:
>> Required-Start
>> Should-Start
>>

> grep Required-Start /etc/init.d/*
> [..]
> /etc/init.d/kerneloops:# Required-Start: $local_fs $remote_fs $named
> $network $time $syslog
>
> Why kerneloops needs named?
>
> I added a few dependencies.
>
> Regards,
> Michal

why do you hardcode these dependencies?

Because I'm not sure that multiple dependencies like "start on started
rsyslog and foo and bar" are working correctly on upstart 0.3.

Nope. They aren't

just as a test measurement, what can be achieved?

Yes, it's only a test.

--CJD

Old 03-31-2008, 06:04 PM
"Optimization Kit"

Old 03-31-2008, 06:11 PM
"Optimization Kit"

On 31/03/2008, Bill Nottingham <notting@redhat.com> wrote:
> Optimization Kit (optimizationkit@gmail.com) said:
>
> > So the only way to solve it is "start on started network" in rsyslog... hmmm...
> >
> > rsyslog depends on network
> > messagebus depends on rsyslog
> > haldaemon depends on messagebus
> > NetworkManager depends on haldaemon - provides network
> >
> > closed chain
>

> This is why static LSB deps are bad...

I'm not a huge fan of LSB .

Old 04-01-2008, 01:19 AM
Mark

2008/3/31, Optimization Kit <optimizationkit@gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> I wrote a simple script
> http://www.stardust.webpages.pl/files/fedora-upstart/bootscriptconv.py
>
> It creates an upstart wrappers for classic Fedora scripts

Just made those from your script as well but where do i need to place them?

> Example
>
> start on started rsyslog
> start on runlevel 2
> start on runlevel 3
> start on runlevel 4
> start on runlevel 5
>
> stop on runlevel 0
> stop on runlevel 1
> stop on runlevel 6
>
> console output
>
> script
> /etc/init.d/atd start
> end script
>
> pre-stop script
> /etc/init.d/atd stop
> end script
>

> Comparison
>
> 71 seconds - default
> http://www.stardust.webpages.pl/files/fedora-upstart/bootchart-serial.png
>
> 54 seconds after parallelization
> http://www.stardust.webpages.pl/files/fedora-upstart/bootchart-parallel.png
>
> TODO:
> - A better dependency handling
>
> Your comments and suggestions are welcome.
>
> Regards,
> Michal

For the rest: a very interesting read!
Btw.. your default system boots kinda slow without paralellisation..
My default boot is 56 seconds and that's with a fully updated Fedora 9 rawhide.
Breaking out the services that i don't need saves 5 seconds: 51 seconds boot.
And i expect to get atleast 10 seconds time boost with your script
(once i know where to place the files)

Old 04-01-2008, 09:44 AM
"Optimization Kit"

On 01/04/2008, Mark <markg85@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/3/31, Optimization Kit <optimizationkit@gmail.com>:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I wrote a simple script
> > http://www.stardust.webpages.pl/files/fedora-upstart/bootscriptconv.py
> >
> > It creates an upstart wrappers for classic Fedora scripts
>

> Just made those from your script as well but where do i need to place them?

In /etc/event.d. But beware!

You can start with rsyslog - it's a dependency for most scripts.

> For the rest: a very interesting read!
> Btw.. your default system boots kinda slow without paralellisation..

Here is my default system - without paralellisation
http://www.stardust.webpages.pl/files/bootchart05.png
27 seconds

> My default boot is 56 seconds and that's with a fully updated Fedora 9 rawhide.
> Breaking out the services that i don't need saves 5 seconds: 51 seconds boot.
> And i expect to get atleast 10 seconds time boost with your script
> (once i know where to place the files)

You may want to read about upstart before you start (especially about
dependencies between scripts)
http://upstart.ubuntu.com/wiki/

Regards,
Michal

Old 04-01-2008, 01:56 PM
Mark

2008/4/1, Optimization Kit <optimizationkit@gmail.com>:
> On 01/04/2008, Mark <markg85@gmail.com> wrote:
> > 2008/3/31, Optimization Kit <optimizationkit@gmail.com>:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I wrote a simple script
> > > http://www.stardust.webpages.pl/files/fedora-upstart/bootscriptconv.py
> > >
> > > It creates an upstart wrappers for classic Fedora scripts
> >

> > Just made those from your script as well but where do i need to place them?
>

> In /etc/event.d. But beware!
>
> You can start with rsyslog - it's a dependency for most scripts.
>

> > For the rest: a very interesting read!
> > Btw.. your default system boots kinda slow without paralellisation..
>

> Here is my default system - without paralellisation
> http://www.stardust.webpages.pl/files/bootchart05.png
> 27 seconds

Darn that's fast.. how do you do that.. my default is way longer than that.
is that even fedora?

Old 04-01-2008, 02:09 PM
"Optimization Kit"

On 01/04/2008, Mark <markg85@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/4/1, Optimization Kit <optimizationkit@gmail.com>:
>
> > Here is my default system - without paralellisation
> > http://www.stardust.webpages.pl/files/bootchart05.png
> > 27 seconds
> >

> Darn that's fast.. how do you do that.. my default is way longer than that.
> is that even fedora?

Yup, it's Fedora 9.

I disabled all unneeded services, compiled a custom kernel - that's all.

As you can see on
http://www.stardust.webpages.pl/files/bootchart02.png - nash-hotplug
takes "ages" - a random value from 10 to 15 seconds. I filled a bug
report.

Regards,
Michal

Old 04-01-2008, 02:14 PM
Mark

2008/4/1, Optimization Kit <optimizationkit@gmail.com>:
> On 01/04/2008, Mark <markg85@gmail.com> wrote:
> > 2008/4/1, Optimization Kit <optimizationkit@gmail.com>:
> >

> > > Here is my default system - without paralellisation
> > > http://www.stardust.webpages.pl/files/bootchart05.png
> > > 27 seconds
> > >

> > Darn that's fast.. how do you do that.. my default is way longer than that.
> > is that even fedora?
>

> Yup, it's Fedora 9.
>
> I disabled all unneeded services, compiled a custom kernel - that's all.
>
> As you can see on
> http://www.stardust.webpages.pl/files/bootchart02.png - nash-hotplug
> takes "ages" - a random value from 10 to 15 seconds. I filled a bug
> report.

lol that's what you call _default_ i call it highly customized.
Could you perhaps put a guide online on how you customized your kernel
and other things to get your boot time so low? So just a full guide to
go from fedora 9 1 minute boot to 20 seconds boot. Would be
interesting!