Old 03-31-2008, 03:36 PM
"Andrea Dell'Amico"

Default How to start Tor only when network works in upstart framework?

On Mon, 2008-03-31 at 23:09 +0800, Yuan Yijun wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I use NetworkManager to connect to wifi network (WEP encrypted). Tor
> daemon should be started after connection established. Everyday I have
> to start Tor service manually. How to use upstart to do this?

Work for NetworkManagerDispatcher.
Put a script in /etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d.
Scripts are run before and after an interface change status, and they
are called with (at least, don't remember if there are others) two
arguments: $1 is the interface name, $2 is the interface status.

> Thanks!
>
> --
> bbbush ^_^

ciao
andrea
--
Andrea Dell'Amico - <http://www.link.it/>

Old 03-31-2008, 03:37 PM
"Colin Walters"

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 11:09 AM, Yuan Yijun <bbbush.yuan@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I use NetworkManager to connect to wifi network (WEP encrypted). Tor
> daemon should be started after connection established.

The best fix is for Tor to support dynamic network changes, by
listening on the system bus for NetworkManager changes itself.

Old 03-31-2008, 03:56 PM
Bill Nottingham

Colin Walters (walters@verbum.org) said:
> > I use NetworkManager to connect to wifi network (WEP encrypted). Tor
> > daemon should be started after connection established.
>
> The best fix is for Tor to support dynamic network changes, by
> listening on the system bus for NetworkManager changes itself.

That being said, writing a NetworkManagerDispatcher script may be the
simplest way to hook in.

Bill

Old 03-31-2008, 04:25 PM
"Colin Walters"

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 11:56 AM, Bill Nottingham <notting@redhat.com> wrote:
> Colin Walters (walters@verbum.org) said:
> > > I use NetworkManager to connect to wifi network (WEP encrypted). Tor
> > > daemon should be started after connection established.
> >
> > The best fix is for Tor to support dynamic network changes, by
> > listening on the system bus for NetworkManager changes itself.
>
> That being said, writing a NetworkManagerDispatcher script may be the
> simplest way to hook in.

It will probably still be broken because of
http://www.redhat.com/archives/rhl-devel-list/2007-December/msg00355.html

Though, I wonder if the JDK socket libraries have a similar hack as Mozilla's.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:27 PM
Andrew Farris

Yuan Yijun wrote:

BTW, when starting Tor I have to run "setenforce 0" then set to 1 when
started. Is this only happening to me?

Post the audit messages that occur when this happens. You can find a notice in
/var/log/messages which should say have an 'sealert' command to run to see the
full (understandable) audit. There may be some changes needed to make tor work
that can get added to the policy.

--
Andrew Farris <lordmorgul@gmail.com> www.lordmorgul.net
gpg 0x8300BF29 fingerprint 071D FFE0 4CBC 13FC 7DEB 5BD5 5F89 8E1B 8300 BF29