Old 03-31-2008, 01:33 PM
Brad Bell

Default package version numbering

I maintain a package for which the version numbering system may need to
be changed.

The original fedora package corresponds to a version of the subversion
trunk which uses year, month and day for its version numbering, to be
specific, 20071229. On the other hand, when a stable version is copied
from the trunk it gets a new major number, minor number, and bug fix
number, for example 2.3.0. (For reasons I do not wish to go into, this
numbering system could not be used for the original fedora version, but
it has been fixed so it can be used for future fedora versions.)

If I use the new version system, the next version will be 2.3.0. Will
this create problems because the old version number 20071229 will be
considered greater than the new version number 2.3.0 ?

As an alternative, I have tried to use the setup section of the spec
file to change the version number, which comes with the upstream source,
from 2.3.0 to 20080306. The problem with this approach is that the
upstream source tarball unpacks to the directory

$RPM_BUILD_ROOT/%{name}.2.3.0
and rpmbuild expects it to unpack to the directory
$RPM_BUILD_ROOT/%{name}.20080306
Is there a way around this problem ?

Old 03-31-2008, 01:37 PM
Kevin Kofler

Brad Bell <bradbell <at> seanet.com> writes:
> If I use the new version system, the next version will be 2.3.0. Will
> this create problems because the old version number 20071229 will be
> considered greater than the new version number 2.3.0 ?

Yes, that's what Epoch is for.

And next time, please follow the guidelines for prerelease versioning so this
doesn't happen again.

Kevin Kofler

Old 03-31-2008, 01:39 PM
Rex Dieter

Kevin Kofler wrote:

> Brad Bell <bradbell <at> seanet.com> writes:
>> If I use the new version system, the next version will be 2.3.0. Will
>> this create problems because the old version number 20071229 will be
>> considered greater than the new version number 2.3.0 ?
>
> Yes, that's what Epoch is for.
> And next time, please follow the guidelines

with link:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/NamingGuidelines

-- Rex