Old 03-29-2008, 07:59 PM
"Lorenzo Fiorini"

Default Sound input needs attention

I've followed the thread about s-c-s and I'd like to point the list
attention also to the input side of the sound.
Today VOIP and IM are important business applications and I can't find
an easy way to test the mic input on the F9 RawHide I'm using to write
this msg.
My test PC is an Intel DQ35JO MB with a Philips 720K/40 webcam and an
headset that I use without problem with eeepc's Xandros sound
recorder.
Now I'll try to imagine a user that want to setup the audio input on F9.
First of all there are many places to check:

- System/Preferences/Sound - Audio Conferencing
- Volume Preferences ( Alsa Mixer ) ( not easy to find )
- System/Administration - SoundCard Detection
- Applications - Sound/Video - PulseAudio Volume Control and Sound Recorder

Probably the first try would be System/Preferences/Sound - Audio
Conferencing - Sound capture which has many options:
- ALC268 Analog ( twice )
- OSS
- ALSA
- Usb audio
- PulseAudio
- Test sound
- Silence
there is "Test Sound" with a Sound Capture but not level meters or
Record/Playback test.

If I choose Usb Audio and click test I get:
"gconfaudiosrc ! audioconvert ! audioresample ! gconfaudiosink
profile=chat: Could not open audio device for recording".

Then if I try to start the Applications - Sound/Video - Sound Recorder
and I get:
"Your audio capture settings are invalid. Please correct them in the
Multimedia settings."

Now I won't continue, this want to be only an example to show that
probably the whole "Sound" needs attention.

best regards,
Lorenzo Fiorini