Old 03-29-2008, 12:43 AM
David Timms

Default notebook / multiple visual displays - activation and control

Hi,

There are a couple of scenarios with multiple displays etc, that don't
work that well in F8, in particular when the situation changes. Eg:
notebook (hp compaq nx6320):

- lcd panel: 1024x768
- vga out: {connected to sony crt 1400x1050), or some lcd.
- svideo/composite OP: different pins are used on the connector and a
converter cable can be ysed to pckup the composite video pins.

If I boot up, adjust the connectors {plug different bits in} then
login, for the most part that output will be activated. The following work:

- lcd panel only
- lcd and crt
- crt only
- lcd and svideo
- lcd and composite
, which is great. However, changing a display connection while logged in
doesn't adjust the outputs that are activated.

=====
Use case:
Flo started her laptop when she arrived at work in the morning, and by
lunch time she has 15 apps open {eg pdfs, spreadsheets, documents,
program editors, web pages, email, and the presentation she has been
working on}.

She needs to move the laptop in the meeting room, so that she can give
the presentation. While the battery keeps the unit going, and
networkmanager takes care of getting the unit re-connected to the
company network, she finds the image wont show on the boardroom
projector via the vga output.

She tries the Fn F4 {panel|panel+vga|vga} key combo. The panel screen
flickers black for a micro second, but the image is not sent out the vga
port. She tries the system-config-display, but isn't willing to restart
X to activate the changes as suggested by the applet (because she would
waste so much time to get her materials reopened).

Since she has been watching DVD's on her SVideo TV at home she plugs the
SVideo into the large screen TV, and again can't get an image to be
displayed. Composite is no go as well. At this moment the sweat drips
from her brow and the heart starts pounding as the first meeting guests
arrive...

=====

Or perhaps I am simply missing the fedora howto or correct application,
or key stroke to either cycle through different inputs, or auto activate
them as they are plugged in. {intel 945GM driver}

DaveT.

Old 03-29-2008, 06:30 AM
Keith Sharp

On Sat, 2008-03-29 at 12:43 +1100, David Timms wrote:

<snipped statement of laptop + projector use case>

> =====
>
> Or perhaps I am simply missing the fedora howto or correct application,
> or key stroke to either cycle through different inputs, or auto activate
> them as they are plugged in. {intel 945GM driver}

You want:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/RandrSupport

Keith.

Old 03-29-2008, 08:39 AM
Alex Lancaster

[...]

DT> She tries the Fn F4 {panel|panel+vga|vga} key combo. The panel
DT> screen flickers black for a micro second, but the image is not
DT> sent out the vga port. She tries the system-config-display, but
DT> isn't willing to restart X to activate the changes as suggested by
DT> the applet (because she would waste so much time to get her
DT> materials reopened).

DT> Since she has been watching DVD's on her SVideo TV at home she
DT> plugs the SVideo into the large screen TV, and again can't get an
DT> image to be displayed. Composite is no go as well. At this moment
DT> the sweat drips from her brow and the heart starts pounding as the
DT> first meeting guests arrive...

Heh, I actually went through an almost identical scenario you just
painted today. I've found that with F-8, the only way to make sure
that the output VGA is sent with the correct resolution, is to reboot
the computer with the projector/external monitor plugged. In
addition, this also presupposes that I've manually tweaked my
xorg.conf to specifically ask for this setup beforehead. My laptop is
1280x800 but most video projectors only accept 1024x768 VGA input.

It used to work OK in F-7, that is I could boot without it plugged in,
the have the output appear with the correct resolution when I plugged
it into the projector some time later.

DT> Or perhaps I am simply missing the fedora howto or correct
DT> application, or key stroke to either cycle through different
DT> inputs, or auto activate them as they are plugged in. {intel 945GM
DT> driver}

This is with an Intel 915GM.

Alex

Old 03-29-2008, 11:04 AM
David Timms

Keith Sharp wrote:

<snipped statement of laptop + projector use case>

=====

Or perhaps I am simply missing the fedora howto or correct application,
or key stroke to either cycle through different inputs, or auto activate
them as they are plugged in. {intel 945GM driver}

You want:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/RandrSupport
So, much in F9 to be. Perhaps it's time go a-beta'n on the work notebook
;-) I'll start with the live cd.

DaveT.

Old 03-29-2008, 11:24 AM
"Andrea Dell'Amico"

On Sat, 2008-03-29 at 23:04 +1100, David Timms wrote:
> Keith Sharp wrote:
> > On Sat, 2008-03-29 at 12:43 +1100, David Timms wrote:
> >
> > <snipped statement of laptop + projector use case>
> >
> >> =====
> >>
> >> Or perhaps I am simply missing the fedora howto or correct application,
> >> or key stroke to either cycle through different inputs, or auto activate
> >> them as they are plugged in. {intel 945GM driver}
> >
> > You want:
> >
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/RandrSupport
> So, much in F9 to be. Perhaps it's time go a-beta'n on the work notebook
> ;-) I'll start with the live cd.

You can use it in F-8 too, only no graphical utility exists. Use

xrandr --auto

to activate the external monitor, that's the basic functionality. You'll
find more examples on the man page, and on the net.

> DaveT.

ciao
andrea
--
Andrea Dell'Amico - <http://www.link.it/>

Old 03-29-2008, 12:05 PM
David Timms

Andrea Dell'Amico wrote:

You can use it in F-8 too, only no graphical utility exists. Use

xrandr --auto

to activate the external monitor, that's the basic functionality. You'll
find more examples on the man page, and on the net.
OK, on F8, xrandr --verbose --auto does it to turn clone of the vga OP
connector on off depending on whether it is plugged in.

How would I tie that command to Fn-F4 ?

DaveT.

Old 03-29-2008, 12:23 PM
"Andrea Dell'Amico"

On Sun, 2008-03-30 at 00:05 +1100, David Timms wrote:
> OK, on F8, xrandr --verbose --auto does it to turn clone of the vga OP
> connector on off depending on whether it is plugged in.
>
> How would I tie that command to Fn-F4 ?

I don't think you can. With F8 you're stuck with the shell. You don't
need to be root.

> DaveT.

ciao
andrea
--
Andrea Dell'Amico - <http://www.link.it/>

Old 03-29-2008, 01:32 PM
Bastien Nocera

On Sun, 2008-03-30 at 00:05 +1100, David Timms wrote:
> Andrea Dell'Amico wrote:
> > You can use it in F-8 too, only no graphical utility exists. Use
> >
> > xrandr --auto
> >
> > to activate the external monitor, that's the basic functionality. You'll
> > find more examples on the man page, and on the net.
> OK, on F8, xrandr --verbose --auto does it to turn clone of the vga OP
> connector on off depending on whether it is plugged in.
>
> How would I tie that command to Fn-F4 ?

By hand:
http://live.gnome.org/ControlCenter/CustomKeybindings

Cheers

Old 03-29-2008, 08:00 PM
Rodd Clarkson

On Sat, 2008-03-29 at 02:39 -0700, Alex Lancaster wrote:

> [...]
>
> DT> She tries the Fn F4 {panel|panel+vga|vga} key combo. The panel
> DT> screen flickers black for a micro second, but the image is not
> DT> sent out the vga port. She tries the system-config-display, but
> DT> isn't willing to restart X to activate the changes as suggested by
> DT> the applet (because she would waste so much time to get her
> DT> materials reopened).
>
> DT> Since she has been watching DVD's on her SVideo TV at home she
> DT> plugs the SVideo into the large screen TV, and again can't get an
> DT> image to be displayed. Composite is no go as well. At this moment
> DT> the sweat drips from her brow and the heart starts pounding as the
> DT> first meeting guests arrive...
>
> Heh, I actually went through an almost identical scenario you just
> painted today. I've found that with F-8, the only way to make sure
> that the output VGA is sent with the correct resolution, is to reboot
> the computer with the projector/external monitor plugged. In
> addition, this also presupposes that I've manually tweaked my
> xorg.conf to specifically ask for this setup beforehead. My laptop is
> 1280x800 but most video projectors only accept 1024x768 VGA input.

I've done this too. With my laptop and my wifes. It's nice to think it
might be getting fixed.

My laptop has a 1900x1200 display, so I'm also hoping that using an
external monitor might be handled a little gracefully too (resolutions
set to something meaningful)

I've often wondered is the new composite rendering stuff couldn't be
used to send the display to external projectors and screens in a
meaningful way.

R.
It's much better on my side"

Old 03-31-2008, 07:55 AM
"Trond Danielsen"

2008/3/29, David Timms <dtimms@iinet.net.au>:
> Hi,
>
> There are a couple of scenarios with multiple displays etc, that don't
> work that well in F8, in particular when the situation changes. Eg:
> notebook (hp compaq nx6320):
> - lcd panel: 1024x768
> - vga out: {connected to sony crt 1400x1050), or some lcd.
> - svideo/composite OP: different pins are used on the connector and a
> converter cable can be ysed to pckup the composite video pins.
>
> [...]

Although I know that many of these issues are resolved in F9, and that
there are ways to handle it from the command line in F8, there are a
couple of issues that I would like to mention:

1. On samsung monitors (I've tried three different) the correct
display settings are not detected when connected to the VGA output.
Where should this bug be filed?
2. The resolution of my lcd is only 1024x768, but the connected
monitors are all larger than this. But the intel card (915) apparently
does not want to set a higher resolution than this. Any ideas?

If someone could point the to the correct destination for a bug report
I will provide more information.

Trond Danielsen