Old 06-10-2008, 12:34 AM
David Curtis

Default (no subject)

Jerrod G wrote:
> i dont want to partion my hard drive because i only want one operating system but xubuntu wants me to partion it. i want to overwrite my old os. how should i do it?

Ubuntu needs to create at least two partitions, one for files and one
for swap space.

Dave.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:33 AM
Vincent

On 6/9/08, Jerrod G <jgspacekid@yahoo.com> wrote:

i dont want to partion my hard drive because i only want one operating system but xubuntu wants me to partion it. i want to overwrite my old os. how should i do it?
So are you trying to install Xubuntu again? Over an old installation?

Multiple partitions do not mean multiple operating systems: there are plenty of use cases in which the operating system would use more partitions (Xubuntu always needs at least two).

If you want to overwrite the OS just select "Use entire disk" during Xubuntu's installation.

By the way, could you press the "Reply" button in your email button when replying? And perhaps use a subject for your emails? That way we get your emails grouped together and have information about the context.

--
Vincent

Old 06-11-2008, 06:53 PM
Iain Arnell

A long time ago (2007-04-06 06:29:59 GMT), Nicolas Mailhot stated
(http://www.redhat.com/archives/rhl-devel-list/2007-April/msg00254.html):

> you can't package JBoss properly if you don't package a JVM, Fedora
> will only package FLOSS code and the consensus seems to be it's more
> efficient to wait for the actual Java 7 SUN GPL release than make gcj
> feature-complete enough for JBoss. If no JBoss packages appear in Fedora
> after this JVM release, please yell.

I realise that openjdk doesn't strictly meet the stated conditions,
but surely close enough that I can yell...

WHERE ARE THE JBOSS PACKAGES IN FEDORA?

Or, are there any secret redhat plans/projects to move the existing
packages from JBEAP into Fedora (and hopefully into EPEL too)? It
seems that a large chunk of the work has been done already.

Old 06-11-2008, 07:04 PM
seth vidal

On Wed, 2008-06-11 at 20:53 +0200, Iain Arnell wrote:

> A long time ago (2007-04-06 06:29:59 GMT), Nicolas Mailhot stated
> (http://www.redhat.com/archives/rhl-devel-list/2007-April/msg00254.html):
>
> > you can't package JBoss properly if you don't package a JVM, Fedora
> > will only package FLOSS code and the consensus seems to be it's more
> > efficient to wait for the actual Java 7 SUN GPL release than make gcj
> > feature-complete enough for JBoss. If no JBoss packages appear in Fedora
> > after this JVM release, please yell.
>
> I realise that openjdk doesn't strictly meet the stated conditions,
> but surely close enough that I can yell...
>
> WHERE ARE THE JBOSS PACKAGES IN FEDORA?
>
> Or, are there any secret redhat plans/projects to move the existing
> packages from JBEAP into Fedora (and hopefully into EPEL too)? It
> seems that a large chunk of the work has been done already.

There are not secret red hat plans/projects wrt fedora at all.

All the plans are in public. If you want jboss packages in fedora I
think the best bet is to submit them.

-sv

Old 06-12-2008, 08:12 AM
"Karsten 'quaid' Wade"

On Wed, 2008-06-11 at 15:04 -0400, seth vidal wrote:

> All the plans are in public. If you want jboss packages in fedora I
> think the best bet is to submit them.

+1

The developers working on upstream at JBoss.org are not necessarily
experienced packagers. Think of them like any upstream, although one
with an obvious vested interest in being in Fedora.

So, a way to proceed would be to approach the particular JBoss.org
project(s) you want to see packaged and ask if they need any help, etc.
(Please let me know if you run in to any problems with that.)

- Karsten
Fedora : http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
gpg key : AD0E0C41

Old 06-13-2008, 09:56 PM
Ralf Mardorf

>> How to choose monitors (if you can)
>> <http://www.64studio.com/node/574#comment-2491>
>>
>> I had the opportunity to go to the Thomann Store in Treppendorf, Germany.
>>
>> They have a whole room fitted with all the monitors they have, and
>> then they stick you in the sweetspot. You can then basically tell them
>> what your budget is, and they will show you all the best choices
>> around your budget. In the end I found that the ESI nEar5's worked the
>> best for my ear (and my pocket thankfully). I originally went there to
>> buy the Yamaha HS50M's, but in the room I found the sound a little
>> harsh For My Taste.
>>
>> You have to find one that works for you. Nothing wrong with ANY other
>> monitors. You have to like them, and know them. Don't worry about what
>> other people might say. It's your ears, not theirs!
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> * By Quentin Harley at 06/13/2008 - 20:26

Again a tip

I think you'll understand why I first have to wrote you off list because
of the Thomann story. But to anybody with less money, please try the RTF
B3010 HIFI speakers.

Now something to the Yamaha. In Germany we only paste some tissues
covering the tweeters and then they are fine.

Cheers,
Ralf

Old 06-14-2008, 08:21 AM
Quentin Harley

Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> But to anybody with less money, please try the RTF
> B3010 HIFI speakers.

Hi Fi speakers are designed to make the music sound good. Nothing wrong
with that, and if you know the sound you are supposed to get you could
have good results from this.

The reason I have a set of nearfield studio monitors in my room, and not
a set of High-end HiFi speakers, is that using monitors is like looking
though magnifying glasses. You gear EVERYTHING... It is not always
pretty either. The other day I heard some background noise on some
music I listened to, and it sounded like someone doing the dishes in an
adjacent room... never heard it before, and it was very soft, so I am
not sore the original engineer heard it either. (Cant remember which
track though - I'll see if I can find it again)

What I am trying to say is this. Yes, you can drive in the
Richtersveldt with a normal car, but if it starts raining, you will get
stuck. (Richterveld is an extremely dry rocky desert in the north-west
of South Africa) There are very little plant growth, and it is easy to
drive there, but if it should rain the dry terrain turns into a slippery
clay into which even 4x4 vehicles sometimes succumb.
> Now something to the Yamaha. In Germany we only paste some tissues
> covering the tweeters and then they are fine.

I would rather pay less for something that sound right to start off with.
Nothing wrong with the HS50's but to get the correct sound you also need
to buy the matching sub woofer, and this became to pricey (and much too
expensive to take back to South-Africa - baggage wise)

Another pit-fall I saw recently. You could have such monitors set-up
incorrectly and this will negatively influence your mix.

Hope it clears things up a bit.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:11 AM
"Arnav Kalra"

how can i become a member of this group
--
arnav kalra (linux inside)

Old 06-16-2008, 08:21 AM
Nicu Buculei

Arnav Kalra wrote:

how can i become a member of this group

OK, I was just going to send a reply (my standard reply) to your
membership request in the FAS (Fedora Account System), but will reply here.

Stay on this list, participate in ongoing discussions, create some graphics.

When you have completed at least a graphic for Fedora (something from
the DesignService queue [1] or an icon for the Echo theme [2] are good
options) ask for FAS membership (which membership is optional, you can
be a member of the team even only as a subscriber to this list).

[1] - http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/DesignService
[2] - https://fedorahosted.org/echo-icon-theme/

Old 07-01-2008, 07:23 AM
"lyh"

Dear Sir/Madam,
I am writing to you with reference to 5 questions:

1) Since the Virtio was chosen to be the main platform for IO virtualization in KVM , how can I get to know the inside of this scheme?

2) At http://kvm.qumranet.com/kvmwiki/KvmForum2007?action="">, what does “on my laptop I measured 1.1Gbps rx throughput using 2.6.23, 850Mbps tx ” mean?

3) In other words, is “1.1Gbps” the throughput between two virtual machines on the same host os? If not, what’s it?

4) By the way, how did you do the measurement to get these results?

5) In the URL, the kvm_pv_drv.pdf cannot be opened, and how to get it?

Best wishes.

Sinerely yours,
Lyh*