Old 02-14-2010, 09:35 PM
Folderol

Default (no subject)

On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 21:52:01 +0000
Frank Smith <frsmith@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Ralf
> I think I heard this for the first time on:
> Empire State of mind (part 2) by Alicia Keys.
>
> There is a strange very low vocal in part of the 2nd verse, It
> doesn't sound natural at all.
> I now assume I'm hearing this 'auto tune thing..
>
> It was one of my favourite songs but now all I hear is this strange vocal!
>
> What a waste!
>
> Cheers
> Bob

The first time I got *really* angry about it was when I heard Cher's
'Believe'. Cher has a powerful voice and this is a great song, all
totally ruined by stupid autotune. I can't bear to listen to it because
it just grates on my nerves.

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk

Old 02-15-2010, 11:56 AM
Ralf Mardorf

Folderol wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 21:52:01 +0000
> Frank Smith <frsmith@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Hi Ralf
>> I think I heard this for the first time on:
>> Empire State of mind (part 2) by Alicia Keys.
>>
>> There is a strange very low vocal in part of the 2nd verse, It
>> doesn't sound natural at all.
>> I now assume I'm hearing this 'auto tune thing..
>>
>> It was one of my favourite songs but now all I hear is this strange vocal!
>>
>> What a waste!
>>
>> Cheers
>> Bob
>>

> The first time I got *really* angry about it was when I heard Cher's
> 'Believe'. Cher has a powerful voice and this is a great song, all
> totally ruined by stupid autotune. I can't bear to listen to it because
> it just grates on my nerves.

A subject for this thread could be "The castrato in the Italian opera".

There's some kind of mental eunuch-hood and in addition the same kind of
singing rubbish like there once was for the Italian Opera.

I guess "Believe" is the song that Auto-Tune made public. Back in the
days I didn't like this song, but not because of Auto-Tune, just because
it's not my kind of music. Here we had discussions about this song. I
said that I don't like that kind of music, but that it's a perfectly
judged composing and production and I started defending the "vocoder"
and I go on defending it when somebody said that it's Auto-Tune.
I like the vocoder like usage of Auto-Tune, the way I like any other
effect too, but I also would be annoyed, if there would be delay on
every voice for every song.
The other usage of Auto-Tune, fixing the tuning, were it doesn't need a
fix is absolute evil. I don't like classical trained vocals or artistic
singing. IMO singing should express emotions. When I'm angry I might
throw a plate against the wall, but I don't start to juggle with plates.
Most artists today tend to show that they are able to juggle with their
vocals, because they have well trained vocals. The problem with this is,
that 1. they all do the same juggling tricks, nobody has an own style
and 2. they aren't as well trained as people guess that they are, most
of the times they just learned some tricks, how to control the voice.
I wonder that if a singer is able to sing like a human, they start to
"fix" the personality and make the singer sound like a robot, even if
they avoid the vocoder effect. Considered by the technical singing
abilities a lot of "good" singers for popular music are/were "bad"
singers, but they were able to phrase the singing by their own style.
It's not the sequencer that killed music. Even worse step sequencers
aren't that bad, e.g. listen to Herbie Hancock, Bill Laswell, The Who,
Blondie, Peter Gabriel, Mike Oldfield etc., the sequencers they used a
long time ago were very bad, but the music anyway most of the times was
alive.

Time to write to the American Psychiatric Association, perhaps there's
the need to reconsider if people that have personality don't have a
personality disorder, but the loss of any individuality is pandemic.

The humans are loosing individuality. It's understandable for used car
dealers, bankers, soldiers for hire, but there should be opposition by
musicians, resp. by all kinds of artists.

It's pest! Watching (and listening) all kinds of arts around the turn of
the millennium there are "Auto-Tune" effects. Style of clothing in the
Third Reich was more individual than it's today. I fear that people
don't recognize what's going on.

Hopefully some of us could keep away this evil from arts . For popular
music we tend to become an evil culture, like there once was because of
the Italian opera hype. Btw. I guess there's a historical film about a
castrato for the Italian opera, where they did use Auto-Tune and/or
similar effects for film sync.

That's too funny.
Ralf

Old 02-22-2010, 10:11 PM
Ralph Angenendt

Am 07.02.10 10:37, schrieb Ralph Angenendt:
> On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 4:45 PM, <lists@izom.de> wrote:
>> Hi list, recently I wrote a short article about building a dovecot-sieve
>> plugin for the current CentOS-included version of dovecot:
>> http://blog.credativ.com/2010/02/howto-using-dovecot-with-sieve-in-rhelcentos-5/
>> Could that be of interest for your wiki? Regards, Roland
>
> Tha needs some thoughts - maybe a package in extras would be more
> appropriate. Let me thingk (and discuss) about that, I will come back
> to you. After all, it seems to be rather easy to get the sieve
> package.

This should go into the CentOS extras repository as a package, as we are
shipping dovecot anyway and this would be an extension to an existing
package.

Ralph

Old 03-28-2010, 10:53 PM
Adam Russell

Archive: 4BAFDDD4.4000903@s242434804.onlinehome.us">http://lists.debian.org/4BAFDDD4.4000903@s242434804.onlinehome.us

Old 04-07-2010, 11:37 AM
Elmozamil Elamir

Old 04-10-2010, 07:26 PM
Les Mikesell

http://EleaseDusen2292.co.cc

Old 04-10-2010, 08:14 PM
James Bensley

What is this supposed to be Mike? I can't get to the site, eventually
it times out?

James.

http://www.jamesbensley.co.cc/

Old 04-10-2010, 08:19 PM
Rudi Ahlers

On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 10:14 PM, James Bensley <jwbensley@gmail.com> wrote:
> What is this supposed to be Mike? I can't get to the site, eventually
> it times out?
>
> --
> Regards,
> James.
>
> http://www.jamesbensley.co.cc/

It is spam.Either Mike spammed the list, or he has a virus.

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Website: http://www.SoftDux.com
Technical Blog: http://Blog.SoftDux.com
Office: 087 805 9573
Cell: 082 554 7532

Old 04-10-2010, 08:42 PM
Akemi Yagi

On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 1:19 PM, Rudi Ahlers <rudiahlers@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 10:14 PM, James Bensley <jwbensley@gmail.com> wrote:
>> What is this supposed to be Mike? I can't get to the site, eventually
>> it times out?

> It is spam.Either Mike spammed the list, or he has a virus.

Or spammer used a forged 'From' address. Also, please do NOT copy the
URL that appeared in the spammer's post when replying to this thread.

Akemi

Old 04-10-2010, 09:05 PM

Yea, this same link hit another tech list I'm on, albeit redirected
from a diff link to the exact same URL.

Its prolly meant to just drive traffic to the site, wether you buy any
thing is irrelevant.

Some get paid just by you hitting the URL.

- aurf