Old 03-01-2009, 11:17 AM
suvendu giri

Default (no subject)

Hi,
You can add acpi-off to the kernel arguments and see if it helps sort out your keyboard/mouse issue. I recently solved the problem for my friend.
Goodluck

2009/2/27 William Henry <whenry@redhat.com>
Hi,

I've seen others have this problem and I've seen a BZ regarding it. Its the "mouse still moves but can't do anything with the keyboard or mouse input' problem. Requires a hardware reboot.

I've given up on Fedora for a while until I see this fixed. I don't have time for multiple reboots a day and the risk of losing data.

I've also seen issues with NetworkManager.

I'm sadly disappointed with F10.

Old 03-06-2009, 05:02 PM
Chris Lumens

Here's a small set of patches that'll make kickstart's autopart and clearpart
commands work. Two out of four are straight from Radek, one's also his idea,
and the other is a little thing I had to do to make sure we fail when we're
supposed to.

The other partitioning-related commands are going to take a lot more work.

- Chris

Old 03-06-2009, 05:12 PM
David Lehman

All looks good.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:28 PM
Chris Lumens

This patch adds back in support to recognize the PS3 as a valid machine type.
There could very well be further patching that needs to be done in platform.py
to fully support the platform but I do not know what it is, and do not have
access to one. Hopefully if there are additional problems, someone will step
up and supply a patch.

- Chris

Old 03-13-2009, 07:54 PM
"wilson mitsui"

Please ignore this message, my previous atempt failed so i'm trying again.

Old 03-14-2009, 07:44 AM
Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams

On Fri, 2009-03-13 at 20:54 +0000, wilson mitsui wrote:
> Please ignore this message, my previous atempt failed so i'm trying again.

I don't think this one worked either...

Old 03-17-2009, 04:59 PM
Chris Lumens

Here's two patches that should fix it so we install the kernel-PAE package on
machines that support it instead of kernel.i586. Well, really the first patch
is the only one that's necessary. The second patch changes around how the
kernel package selection works since it always bugged and confused me.

I've tested this on PAE-enabled machines but not non-PAE-enabled machines. I
don't see how it would fail there.

- Chris

Old 03-17-2009, 05:02 PM
Jeremy Katz

On Tuesday, March 17 2009, Chris Lumens said:
> Here's two patches that should fix it so we install the kernel-PAE package on
> machines that support it instead of kernel.i586. Well, really the first patch
> is the only one that's necessary. The second patch changes around how the
> kernel package selection works since it always bugged and confused me.
>
> I've tested this on PAE-enabled machines but not non-PAE-enabled machines. I
> don't see how it would fail there.

Both look fine to me

Jeremy

Old 03-18-2009, 09:59 AM
Chris Ross

I have the following hardware
Sony Picturebook PCG-C1XD
Pentium II 400 MHz
128 MB Ram
10Gb HDD
USB floppy
PCMCIA CD Drive
Display adapter Neomagic Magicmedia 256AV
*
Due to the amount of available Ram I wonder whether or not I should go with release 8.1 given the recommended config below, or go for an earlier version.
*
I will be using the laptop to browse and possible use with skype.
*
I understand that installing should be done using the alternative installer given the limited amount of memory.
*
8.10, (Intrepid Ibex) - "Xubuntu can run with starting from 192 (or even just 128) MB RAM, but it is strongly recommended to have at least 256 MB RAM"
--
Thanks
Chris

Old 03-18-2009, 04:58 PM
Vincent

Display adapter Neomagic Magicmedia 256AV
*
Due to the amount of available Ram I wonder whether or not I should go with release 8.1 given the recommended config below, or go for an earlier version.
*
I will be using the laptop to browse and possible use with skype.
*
I understand that installing should be done using the alternative installer given the limited amount of memory.
*
8.10, (Intrepid Ibex) - "Xubuntu can run with starting from 192 (or even just 128) MB RAM, but it is strongly recommended to have at least 256 MB RAM"
--
Thanks
Chris

128MB RAM is going to be very, very unpleasant. Especially Skype will be a problem (it uses Qt libraries as opposed to GTK like most of Xubuntu, which means that will all have to be loaded in memory additionally which won't help speed-wise). Perhaps if you just browse with a light-weight browser it might be bearable, but really not recommended.

You might want to check out a lighter distro, perhaps to get at least a bit of a user-friendly experience you might go with a light-weight Xfce-distro such as Wolvix (http://wolvix.org/), if not, something like Puppy Linux is probably the way to go.

Or course, considering how it's all free-of-charge, you might as well just give it a try and see if you can bear it ;-)
An older version of Xubuntu is probably either nothing better or too old to be supported and thus _strongly_ recommended against.

Good luck,
--
Vincent