Old 01-31-2009, 12:46 PM
Brian McKee

Default (no subject)

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 2:49 PM, <Tbearsfan81@aol.com> wrote:
> hello i am trying to install linux on my computer and i'm having
> difficulties if anyone can help me i'd greatly appreciate it thanks.

That's what this list is for.

Tell us exactly what's not working, with lots of detail, and we'll help.

Brian

Old 01-31-2009, 01:35 PM
"a_puzzeled_newbie(^_^);"

agreed if you need help with anything we are always here to help. Linux is a wonderful OS to run on any pc. It makes things feel alot better and alot faster then when running on windows. I myself tend to run ubuntu servers when i have a spare pc.

let us know what ever you need to know.

-benjamin1254

Old 02-11-2009, 11:59 PM
Zack

Downloading xorg-server xf86-input-mouse xf86-input-synaptics
xf86-input-keyboard xf86-video-intel xorg-xinit ttf-dejavu and xterm used to
be about a 30 mb download, with 91 packages to install. I just did it today,
and it the download was in the low 20s, and there were only about 60
packages. Did anything change, or am I just crazy.

Zack

Old 02-21-2009, 09:40 AM
"adem784"

İnternette takip ettiğin
tüm siteler tek tık ötede! “Benim
Mynet’im” de!

Old 02-23-2009, 07:31 PM
Michael Pace

*

*** I am a newbie who is unsure as to which Linux devices*I should start with.Can anyone help me with this.
***Is Fedora the latest on offer? Is it suitable for a beginner? Thanks for any help.

************************************************** ************************************************** **** Mike Pace

Make Yahoo!7 your homepage and win a trip to the Quiksilver Pro. Find out more

Old 02-23-2009, 08:41 PM
stan

Michael Pace wrote:

I am a newbie who is unsure as to which Linux devices I should start with.Can anyone help me with this.
Is Fedora the latest on offer? Is it suitable for a beginner? Thanks for any help.

Mike Pace

Make Yahoo!7 your homepage and win a trip to the Quiksilver Pro. Find out more

I suggest you go here

http://fedoraproject.org/get-fedora.html

and download one of the Fedora 10 live CDs. You can burn the image to a CD and run from it to try it out without any
installation. If you like it you can install from the CD or download and burn the DVD, which gives you more flexibility.

If you decide to install Fedora, here are a couple of other helpful sites.

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/f10/en_US/

http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/

Old 02-23-2009, 11:55 PM
Tim

On Mon, 2009-02-23 at 12:31 -0800, Michael Pace wrote:
> Is it suitable for a beginner?

If you're not technically minded, or interested, then perhaps not. If
you want things to just work without putting any effort in, I'd say
definitely not (some things will just work, but that sort of expectation
is bound to find disappointments). If you like experimenting, if you
like being able to use some of the newest toys, yes.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.15-78.2.23.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:55 AM
Aldo Foot

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 12:31 PM, Michael Pace <mpace80@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I am a newbie who is unsure as to which Linux devices I should start with.Can anyone help me with this.
> Is Fedora the latest on offer? Is it suitable for a beginner? Thanks for any help.

Mike Pace

You'll discover from the start that you need to do a bit of reading.
Fedora is said to be "bleeding edge", there is a new release every six months.
Much new stuff is in fedora, but it may be so bleeding edge that there may be
hardware issues, so be sure to check some of the links I provide.

Some posters might volunteer information on the hardware they have succesfully
used.
For example, I recently installed Fedora 10 using an ASUS P5Q motherboard
using a Nvidia GeForce9600 GSO card and Corsair PC 6400 DDR2 800MHz
memory and a Intel Core2 Quad 8400. But the mobo does not like PATA drives.
Many Asus motherboards require a BIOS update in order to
use certain CPUs (go to support.asus.com, click on the Support tab and then
select CPU Support to check)
When buying your hardware, consider the type of video you'll use: DVI, VGA,
built-in, additional card? Will it be PATA or SATA hard drive
interface? Does the
motherboard support PS2 or just USB keyboard/mouse?

A good place to start
http://www.linuxquestions.org/hcl/

Click on the Hardware link here
http://www.linuxcompatible.org/compatibility.html

Other sites
http://www.linux.com/feature/118497
http://www.linuxhardware.org/

Fedora is not very friendly for first time users, but you have this
mailing list to
help you along the way. Try the LiveCD to test it out. If you prefer, try out
other linux flavors like Ubuntu or CentOS.

When you need help always be specific and clear on what you ask.

Hope that helps.
~af

Old 02-24-2009, 08:40 AM
zaneer mohamed

Dear sir,

I woul like take your respective 'Fedora' by mailig near future. If
you can sent me some fedora copies to the following address

Old 02-24-2009, 08:46 AM
Waleed Harbi

I hope this will help you http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Distribution/FreeMedia-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Yours,
Waleed Harbi
If you want your goals to come true, don't sleep.