Old 12-10-2008, 11:54 AM
Nicu Buculei

Default (no subject)

ayush goel wrote:
i wanted to join fedora art team.i have done work on gimp.and i am a
beginner and i wanted to contribute in designing.

Watch the list and see what is going on, step up when you see something
interesting.
If you feel like it, pick a task from
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/DesignService

PS: and try to put something in the subject line when writing an email

Old 12-10-2008, 05:15 PM
"ayush goel"

can you please assign me a task .

Old 12-11-2008, 06:16 AM
Nicu Buculei

ayush goel wrote:

can you please assign me a task .

We don't work that way, from top to bottom, but in a more free way, from
bottom to top: we don't assign tasks, we are not your boss. Take
yourself something you are comfortable with.

PS: and even if we would like to act bossy and give you tasks, as we are
not yet familiar with your work and don't know your skills (do you have
any work published online?), we have no way to know your area of expertise.

Old 12-30-2008, 06:58 PM

RH 2.4.20-31.9smp

BIND 9.5.0-P2

We've got /etc/named.conf configured with a logging statement to log to
/var/log/named.log, but we still find named also logging to
/var/log/messages, with different params.

/etc/sysconfig/named is nothing but #comments

Where/what else is sending named logging to messages?

thanks
Len

Old 01-12-2009, 09:02 PM
"Dave Scroggins"

Howdy Folks,

I have three Oracle DB servers, one main and two back up. I'm having trouble using SWAP on the backup machines.
The main server seems to work just fine. The output from free is:

[root@db2 bkup-01-09]# free
************ total****** used****** free**** shared*** buffers**** cached
Mem:****** 4154056*** 3882072**** 271984********* 0****** 7904*** 3718868
-/+ buffers/cache:**** 155300*** 3998756
Swap:***** 2031608**** 155964*** 1875644

The backup servers though don't seem to use SWAP. Free give the following:
[root@db1 etc]# free
************ total****** used****** free**** shared*** buffers**** cached
Mem:****** 4154056*** 3881176**** 272880********* 0***** 43288*** 3679652
-/+ buffers/cache:**** 158236*** 3995820
Swap:***** 2031608******* 144*** 2031464

I didn't' set the machines up so I'm not sure what is different.*

fstab for both machines are:

[root@db1 etc]# cat /etc/fstab
# This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man fstab-sync' for details
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 /********* ext3*** defaults******* 1 1
LABEL=/boot***** /boot****************** ext3*** defaults******* 1 2
none******************* /dev/pts*************** devpts* gid=5,mode=620* 0 0
none******************* /dev/shm************* tmpfs** defaults******* 0 0
none******************* /proc****************** proc*** defaults******* 0 0
none******************* /sys*************** * ** sysfs** defaults******* 0 0
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01 swap******************* swap*** defaults******* 0 0
/dev/hda************ /media/cdrom********* auto*** pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
/dev/fd0************ /media/floppy********** auto*** pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0

Can someone point me in a direction to look?

Thanks
Dave

Old 01-12-2009, 10:14 PM
Rick Stevens

Dave Scroggins wrote:

[...]

Swap is used if the main memory is fully occupied by running processes.
If the primary machine (db2 I'm assuming) is handling all of the SQL
requests, then its memory may have been put under stress at some point
causing it to use swap. free reports the high-water mark of swap (the
highest usage), not how much is being used NOW. It won't be reset until
a reboot occurs.

The backup machine(s) probably never served any requests and didn't have
to use swap as they had adequate memory to handle whatever tasks you had
them doing.

I might also note that the normal set up for swap is twice the RAM size
(in your case, 4GB), so ideally you should set up 8GB swap. Linux swap
_partitions_ can be a maximum of 2GB, but you can set up either multiple
2GB swap partitions or use a file-based swap (not as efficient as swap
partitions, but you can make them >2GB).

To use a swap file, find a partition with 8GB free on it, then, as root:

# dd if=/dev/zero of=/path/to/swapfile bs=1M count=8192

where "/path/to" is a directory on the partition with 8GB free space and
"swapfile" is the name of the swapfile you want. For example, let's say
we have 8GB free on /usr and we want to put the swapfile right there.
The command would be:

# dd if=/dev/zero of=/usr/swapfile bs=1M count=8192

That creates an 8GB swap file named "/usr/swapfile". Next, format
the file as swap:

# mkswap /usr/swapfile

Once that's all done, you can change the /etc/fstab entry to use the
file as the swap. The old entry may look like:

UUID=e7dbb97c-bc3e-405b-8a3d-31a2edda2a42 swap swap defaults 0 0

(using UUIDs) or
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol01 swap swap defaults 0 0

(using an LVM volume) or even

/dev/sda3 swap swap defaults 0 0

(using a disk partition) and change it to:

/usr/swapfile swap swap defaults 0 0

When you reboot, the system would have an 8GB swap.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:18 PM
ayush goel

i wanted to help you in designing please contact me..

Old 01-28-2009, 06:49 PM

hello i am trying to install linux on my computer and i'm having
difficulties if anyone can help me i'd greatly appreciate it
thanks.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:58 AM
jaydeep kumar

how can i contact u pls forward* proper info. or call me on 9860204374

jaydeep kr.

Old 01-29-2009, 01:22 PM
Máirín Duffy

Hi,

jaydeep kumar wrote:
> how can i contact u pls forward proper info. or call me on 9860204374

This is a mailing list. You can email the mailing list to
contact the people on the list. You can subscribe to the
mailing list by visiting
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-art-list and
then you will receive messages from the list.

~m