Old 10-06-2011, 06:27 AM
Petr Pisar

Default Dealing with circular BuildRequires?

On 2011-10-05, Tom Lane <tgl@redhat.com> wrote:

> What exactly did you do for "dependency-ordered builds"? What I could
> really use right now is a tool that would sort the package list into
> dependency order for me, and point to where there are circularities.
> I'd like to think that wheel has been invented already ...

I've written an ultimate heavy-parallel rebuilding tool. (Actually it's
so much parallel that Fedora infrustructure, git repositories namely,
spontaneously fails.) It's packaged in `perl-Fedora-Rebuild' package,
there is sample executable `rebuildperl'. Currently it's
under-documented, not optimized and with some internal bugs. But I will
develop it more because we need it for each year Perl rebuild, so the
tool will improve.

-- Petr

Old 10-06-2011, 05:36 PM
"Richard W.M. Jones"

On Wed, Oct 05, 2011 at 12:02:33PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Petr Pisar <ppisar@redhat.com> writes:
> > On 2011-10-05, Tom Lane <tgl@redhat.com> wrote:
> >> For example, cairo BuildRequires: librsvg2-devel, and librsvg2
> >> BuildRequires: cairo-devel, so there is no order in which I can rebuild
> >> them. How the heck did we get into such a situation, and what should
> >> I do about it? Neither specfile appears to have any provision for
> >> bootstrapping.
>
> > We had similar problem when upgrading Perl to 5.14.
>
> > First, we choosed dependecy-ordered builds which stopped after
> > rebuilding about one thousand packages. Then we hit circular
> > dependencies blocking remaining eight hunderds packages.
>
> What exactly did you do for "dependency-ordered builds"? What I could
> really use right now is a tool that would sort the package list into
> dependency order for me, and point to where there are circularities.
> I'd like to think that wheel has been invented already ...

smock possibly, modulo the shortcomings that Seth Vidal correctly
pointed out. It is here:

http://git.annexia.org/?p=fedora-mingw.git;a=tree;f=smock;hb=HEAD

Rich.

virt-p2v converts physical machines to virtual machines. Boot with a
http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-p2v

Old 10-06-2011, 06:28 PM
Jesse Keating

On Oct 5, 2011, at 11:27 PM, Petr Pisar wrote:

> I've written an ultimate heavy-parallel rebuilding tool. (Actually it's
> so much parallel that Fedora infrustructure, git repositories namely,
> spontaneously fails.) It's packaged in `perl-Fedora-Rebuild' package,
> there is sample executable `rebuildperl'. Currently it's
> under-documented, not optimized and with some internal bugs. But I will
> develop it more because we need it for each year Perl rebuild, so the
> tool will improve.

What failure did you create, and was there a ticket about this? If you're able to create a failure with load I'm VERY interested in this.

- jlk