Old 09-27-2011, 02:30 AM
Liang Suilong

Default Anaconda forced to create a BIOS boot partition, but not boot on Lenovo S205

I bought *a new notebook for my jobs, Lenovo IdeaPad S205 (AMD E-450 APU), building in MeeGo modified by Linpus. There is no BIOS in it, just using UEFI. And there is no BIOS compatibility mode. So I must use EFI GRUB. As we knew, Fedora 15 LiveUSB can not be booted on S205. There is a bug on Lenovo S205.*http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=262907

I try to install Fedora 16 Beta RC2. I know there is many bugs before Final GA. Luckily, the installation process runs smothly. After rebooting my machine, UEFI can not load boot loader on HDD, skipping HDD to boot USB or PXE. And then, I found Anaconda must create a BIOS boot partition that size is about 1MB and an FAT partition for EFI system is following. Later, I try to install Ubuntu 11.10 Beta 2. Their grub2 can support UEFI and GPT partition table normally. However, BIOS boot partition does not appear in Ubuntu installer. I make sure that Fedora 16 choose GPT for me. I am just allowed to create primary partition on my HDD.

I could not assure whether this is a bug on Anaconda or GRUB 2. Maybe I should file a bug report on Bugzilla. But I do not understand why Anaconda need to create a BIOS boot partition on UEFI-only system. This is my most important question. I do do not really get accustomed to using Ubuntu. I love Fedora very much.

I just hope I can get replies soon.
Liang Suilong

--
Fedora && Debian User, former Ubuntu User
My Page: http://www.liangsuilong.info

Fedora Project Contributor -- Packager && Ambassador
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Liangsuilong

Old 09-27-2011, 05:42 AM
Liang Suilong

OK. Thank you, David.
My Desktop is used for productive environment. I do not want to reinstall OS now. And I do not restore the logs before. So I want to do it after Fedora 6 Beta releases.

Maybe we should look for another UEFI-only system to test it.Fedora && Debian User, former Ubuntu User

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 12:17 PM, David Lehman <dlehman@redhat.com> wrote:

On Tue, 2011-09-27 at 10:30 +0800, Liang Suilong wrote:

> I bought *a new notebook for my jobs, Lenovo IdeaPad S205 (AMD E-450

> APU), building in MeeGo modified by Linpus. There is no BIOS in it,

> just using UEFI. And there is no BIOS compatibility mode. So I must

> use EFI GRUB. As we knew, Fedora 15 LiveUSB can not be booted on S205.

> There is a bug on Lenovo

> S205. http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=262907

> I try to install Fedora 16 Beta RC2. I know there is many bugs before

> Final GA. Luckily, the installation process runs smothly. After

> rebooting my machine, UEFI can not load boot loader on HDD, skipping

> HDD to boot USB or PXE. And then, I found Anaconda must create a BIOS

> boot partition that size is about 1MB and an FAT partition for EFI

If anaconda says you need a BIOS boot partition then anaconda believes

your system is a BIOS system -- not EFI. You should open a bug report

and include the following log files from within the installer's runtime

environment:

*/tmp/anaconda.log

*/tmp/syslog

*/tmp/program.log