Old 09-22-2011, 06:39 PM
Stephen John Smoogen

Default Looking at retiring "chess"

On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 06:47, Bruno Wolff III <bruno@wolff.to> wrote:
> I was hoping to be able to work on a forked version of chess and have it
> replace chess in Fedora, but I haven't had time to learn enough about
> ogre to do this, and chess is broken enough now that there is no point
> in including it any more. So I am looking at retiring it in f16+.

If it is broken.. why not retire it now so that people don't download
it, find it broken and then find out when no bugzilla reports are
fixed it was dead?

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
battle." -- Ian MacLaren

Old 09-23-2011, 02:34 AM
Kevin Kofler

Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> If it is broken.. why not retire it now so that people don't download
> it, find it broken and then find out when no bugzilla reports are
> fixed it was dead?

Packages can only be retired from upcoming releases (i.e. currently Fedora
16 and newer, as he said), not from existing releases (i.e. currently Fedora
14 and 15, nor of course from EOL releases).

Kevin Kofler

Old 09-23-2011, 01:48 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 12:39:46 -0600,
Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 06:47, Bruno Wolff III <bruno@wolff.to> wrote:
> > I was hoping to be able to work on a forked version of chess and have it
> > replace chess in Fedora, but I haven't had time to learn enough about
> > ogre to do this, and chess is broken enough now that there is no point
> > in including it any more. So I am looking at retiring it in f16+.
>
> If it is broken.. why not retire it now so that people don't download
> it, find it broken and then find out when no bugzilla reports are
> fixed it was dead?

As in right now? I wanted to give an opportunity for someone that knows ogre
well to try to fix it before f16s final freeze. The odds of that are close
to zero, but given were into beta freeze waiting a few more days didn't
seem to be an issue.

I am planning on yanking from f16 and f17 in a few days if I don't hear
from someone that thinks they can do this.

Old 09-27-2011, 01:58 AM
Bruno Wolff III

On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 07:47:12 -0500,
Bruno Wolff III <bruno@wolff.to> wrote:

> Unless someone speaks up, with some plan to make the current version work
> in the near future, I'll start the retirement process in about a week.

Chess has now been retired (pending processing by releng of the block
ticket).

Old 09-27-2011, 01:58 AM
Bruno Wolff III

Old 09-27-2011, 09:16 AM
R Sanjith

Hold on Bruno, I'm just a li'l busy now. Shall certainly get back when the long pending work is over. So please don't start the retirement process.
RegardsSanjith