Old 09-22-2011, 04:05 AM
Garrett Holmstrom

Default grub1 support in grubby

Given the grub1/grub2 discussion that is going on, I could use some info
about the state of grubby's support for grub1. The virtual machine
images that the Cloud SIG publishes on Amazon EC2 do not require
bootloaders, but they do require valid grub1 *configuration files* to
start. So while these images will survive grub1's eventual retirement,
they will still need grubby to support grub1 configuration files for the
foreseeable future so kernel updates can continue to work correctly. Is
that realistic? Are there currently any plans to kill off grubby's
grub1 support at some point?

Old 09-22-2011, 08:58 AM
"Richard W.M. Jones"

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 09:05:19PM -0700, Garrett Holmstrom wrote:
> Given the grub1/grub2 discussion that is going on, I could use some info
> about the state of grubby's support for grub1. The virtual machine
> images that the Cloud SIG publishes on Amazon EC2 do not require
> bootloaders, but they do require valid grub1 *configuration files* to
> start. So while these images will survive grub1's eventual retirement,
> they will still need grubby to support grub1 configuration files for the
> foreseeable future so kernel updates can continue to work correctly. Is
> that realistic? Are there currently any plans to kill off grubby's
> grub1 support at some point?

In case anyone is wondering what Amazon is up to, the PDF document
below explains it in detail:

http://ec2-downloads.s3.amazonaws.com/user_specified_kernels.pdf
also this announcement:
http://aws.typepad.com/aws/2010/07/use-your-own-kernel-with-amazon-ec2.html

(In short, pvgrub! I thought that was dead and buried a long time ago ..)

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-top

Old 09-22-2011, 09:00 AM
"Richard W.M. Jones"

On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 09:58:53AM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> (In short, pvgrub! I thought that was dead and buried a long time ago ..)

Of course I'm confusing this with PyGrub, that was the old horrible
thing. PvGrub is the shiny new thing.

Rich.

libguestfs lets you edit virtual machines. Supports shell scripting,
bindings from many languages. http://libguestfs.org

Old 09-22-2011, 02:09 PM
Peter Jones

On 09/22/2011 12:05 AM, Garrett Holmstrom wrote:
> Given the grub1/grub2 discussion that is going on, I could use some info
> about the state of grubby's support for grub1. The virtual machine
> images that the Cloud SIG publishes on Amazon EC2 do not require
> bootloaders, but they do require valid grub1 *configuration files* to
> start. So while these images will survive grub1's eventual retirement,
> they will still need grubby to support grub1 configuration files for the
> foreseeable future so kernel updates can continue to work correctly. Is
> that realistic? Are there currently any plans to kill off grubby's
> grub1 support at some point?

Grubby will continue to support the grub 1 style config file.

--
Peter

Old 09-22-2011, 08:31 PM
Ian Pilcher

On 09/22/2011 09:09 AM, Peter Jones wrote:
> Grubby will continue to support the grub 1 style config file.

Just to confirm ...

Does this mean that a RHEL 6/Fedora dual-boot system using grub 1 will
continue to work (i.e. Fedora kernel updates will properly update the
grub 1 configuration)?

Old 09-22-2011, 10:04 PM
Peter Jones

On 09/22/2011 04:31 PM, Ian Pilcher wrote:
> On 09/22/2011 09:09 AM, Peter Jones wrote:
>> Grubby will continue to support the grub 1 style config file.
>
> Just to confirm ...
>
> Does this mean that a RHEL 6/Fedora dual-boot system using grub 1 will
> continue to work (i.e. Fedora kernel updates will properly update the
> grub 1 configuration)?

Off the top of my head yes, assuming nothing weirder than that is going on.

--
Peter