Old 10-05-2011, 09:29 PM
Adam Williamson

Default GDBM upgrade in F17

> On Oct 4, 2011, at 10:31 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:

> >> You're thinking of creating a /new/ build target and build tag/root.
> >> That's not what bodhi does.
> >>
> >> Buildroot overrides for the rawhide tags make no sense, as anything
> >> built automatically lands in the build root.
> >
> > So really want they want is a *tag*, not a buildroot override, right?
> >
> > They can have a tag for Rawhide if they request one, I presume?
>

> I don't even know what that would mean.

I was thinking of something like the f16-gnome tag the desktop team uses
to do big messy GNOME builds in before re-tagging them so they can be
submitted as updates. I didn't know all the issues behind that.

> tl;dr if you're looking for bodhi to allow on-demand creation of
> topic-tags for isolating build efforts from rawhide, that's too
> expensive of an item to allow a free-for-all at this time, in my
> opinion.

On demand, no. That's why I said 'if they request one'. I was assuming a
manually handled, human-in-the-loop type of 'request', not a fill out
the form and bonk on the button type of 'request'.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Old 10-06-2011, 06:43 AM
Petr Pisar

On 2011-10-05, Tom Lane <tgl@redhat.com> wrote:

> My particular reason for asking is that I'm looking at a soname bump for
> libpng, and if repoquery is telling me the truth, there are about 1200
> packages that will need to be rebuilt.

Few days ago I've been asked by Marcela how should I cope with this
problem (just another library). I proposed this solution:

Package current shared library (and only the library, no development
files or dodocumentation or bundled tools) as new package. I call the
new package `shaddow package' not to confuse with already existing
`compat' packages (that should deliver full-featured environment as
header files).

This shaddow package will RPM-provide current SONAME, thus after
injecting this package into repositories, you can fluently upgrade
library in the original package and then rebuild all reverse
dependencies (i.e. applications like gimp) without any stress. The
shaddow package will get pulled into build root automatically by the
SONAME provide.

Once all depending packages are rebuilt, the shaddow package becames
unnecessary, but you can keep it living in repositories because it can
be reused on next SONAME upgrade just by moving then-current library
into the shaddow package.

-- Petr