Old 09-08-2011, 04:03 AM
Joachim Backes

Default aggregation of gnome tools

In the meanwhile, several tools have been developed for the management
of my gnome or gnome3 desktop (gui or not gui based), but each time I
need to use them I have to think about what tool to use:

gnome-tweak-tool
gconf-editor
dconf-editor
gconftool-2
gnome-session-properties

It seems there is a tendency for creating more and more such tools.

It would be very helpful for the user if such tools could be aggregated
to a *homogenous* and gui based tool so I have not to think about which
one to use.

All comments are welcome.

Kind regards

http://www.rhrk.uni-kl.de/~backes

Old 09-08-2011, 11:52 AM
Richard Hughes

On 8 September 2011 05:03, Joachim Backes <joachim.backes@rhrk.uni-kl.de> wrote:
> gnome-tweak-tool

Current, high level.

> gconf-editor

Legacy.

> dconf-editor

Current, low level.

> gconftool-2

Legacy.

> gnome-session-properties

Kinda current.

Richard

Old 09-08-2011, 11:53 AM
Matthias Clasen

On Thu, 2011-09-08 at 06:03 +0200, Joachim Backes wrote:
> In the meanwhile, several tools have been developed for the management
> of my gnome or gnome3 desktop (gui or not gui based), but each time I
> need to use them I have to think about what tool to use:
>
> gnome-tweak-tool
> gconf-editor
> dconf-editor
> gconftool-2
> gnome-session-properties
>
> It seems there is a tendency for creating more and more such tools.

Your list is a missing at least the commandline tools dconf and
gsettings. But I don' think things are quite as bleak, and all these
tools have their own mission:

gconftool-2 / gconf-editor are obsolescent, and will fall by the wayside
when the last things are ported away from GConf

The dconf commandline tool is very low-level and you should just use the
gsettings tool.

dconf-editor is the gsettings equivalent of gconf-editor, a 'generic'
graphical frontend for all settings.

gnome-tweak-tool is a non-generic graphical frontend to a wider set of
options than what is exposed in the control-center. It should be the
first stop for anybody who feels the itch to 'tweak' his desktop.

gnome-session-properties is obsolescent, a leftover from the gnome 2.x
control-center. The autostart functionality will eventually be
integrated somewhere in gnome-shell or the control-center.