Old 09-07-2011, 05:12 PM
Nathaniel McCallum

Default Compiling 32bit on 64bit Fedora

On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 1:04 PM, Kevin Fenzi <kevin@scrye.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Sep 2011 12:23:11 -0400
> Nathaniel McCallum <nathaniel@natemccallum.com> wrote:
>
>> I don't appear to have any i[356]86 packages in any of the repos on my
>> F16 box. Is there an rpm I'm missing?
>
> No, it should show them out of the box.
>
> Does:
>
> yum --noplugins list glibc-devel.i686
>
> work?

Yes, It does! Which plugin would filter those out?

Old 09-07-2011, 06:49 PM
Michael Schwendt

On Wed, 7 Sep 2011 12:04:06 -0400, NM (Nathaniel) wrote:

> That was what I thought... Sot it was the first thing I tried (note,
> this is F16):
> $ sudo yum install glibc-devel.i686
> Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, langpacks, presto, refresh-packagekit,
> remove-with-leaves, rpm-warm-cache, show-
> : leaves, versionlock
> * fedora: www.gtlib.gatech.edu
> * updates: mirrors.servercentral.net
> * updates-testing: mirror.fdcservers.net
> Setting up Install Process
> No package glibc-devel.i686 available.
> Error: Nothing to do

The full show, please. "yum list glibc-devel" at least. Plus
any attempts at pruning your Yum plugins and querying the repositories.

http://www.gtlib.gatech.edu/pub/fedora.redhat/linux/development/16/x86_64/os/Packages/glibc-devel-2.14.90-4.i686.rpm

--
Fedora release 16 (Verne) - Linux 3.1.0-0.rc4.git0.0.fc16.x86_64
loadavg: 0.49 0.23 0.15

Old 09-07-2011, 07:35 PM
Adam Williamson

On Wed, 2011-09-07 at 11:52 -0400, Nathaniel McCallum wrote:
> "gcc -m32 -o foo foo.c" gives me:
> /usr/include/gnu/stubs.h:7:27: fatal error: gnu/stubs-32.h: No such file
> or directory
>
> If I copy the gnu/stubs-32.h file from the 32bit glibc-devel package
> into the right place and run the command above again I get:
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find crt1.o: No such file or directory
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find crti.o: No such file or directory
> /usr/bin/ld: skipping
> incompatible /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux/4.6.1/libgcc_s.so when
> searching for -lgcc_s
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgcc_s
> /usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib64/libc.so when searching for
> -lc
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lc
> /usr/bin/ld: skipping
> incompatible /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux/4.6.1/libgcc_s.so when
> searching for -lgcc_s
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgcc_s
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find crtn.o: No such file or directory
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>
> Hrm...
>
> Am I doing something wrong? Or is this a packaging bug? I can't think of
> any reason why I shouldn't be able to compile at least a basic C program
> with no deps as 32bit on 64bit.

it's worth noting a 'cleaner' way to do this than messing up your main
system with 32-bit packages is to use mock: you can use mock -r
fedora-16-i386 --shell to give yourself interactive access to a nice
clean 32-bit buildroot, then install all the devel packages and
compilers you need, and build your code. Might not be what you want, but
I thought it was worth mentioning.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Old 09-07-2011, 07:47 PM
Richard Shaw

On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 2:35 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam@redhat.com> wrote:
> it's worth noting a 'cleaner' way to do this than messing up your main
> system with 32-bit packages is to use mock: you can use mock -r
> fedora-16-i386 --shell to give yourself interactive access to a nice
> clean 32-bit buildroot, then install all the devel packages and
> compilers you need, and build your code. Might not be what you want, but
> I thought it was worth mentioning.

I don't think yum will run inside the chroot by default so make sure
you install everything you need on the front end. I usually do it like
this (some steps may be able to be combined, but it works, so I
haven't experimented).

mock -r <config> --init
mock -r <config> --install <packages to install>
mock -r <config> --shell

The first two lines are also useful if you run into a situation where
you're working on a review request which has dependencies that are not
in the repos yet (i.e., may also be under review).

Richard

Old 09-11-2011, 04:18 PM
drago01

On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 9:35 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-09-07 at 11:52 -0400, Nathaniel McCallum wrote:
>> "gcc -m32 -o foo foo.c" gives me:
>> /usr/include/gnu/stubs.h:7:27: fatal error: gnu/stubs-32.h: No such file
>> or directory
>>
>> If I copy the gnu/stubs-32.h file from the 32bit glibc-devel package
>> into the right place and run the command above again I get:
>> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find crt1.o: No such file or directory
>> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find crti.o: No such file or directory
>> /usr/bin/ld: skipping
>> incompatible /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux/4.6.1/libgcc_s.so when
>> searching for -lgcc_s
>> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgcc_s
>> /usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib64/libc.so when searching for
>> -lc
>> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lc
>> /usr/bin/ld: skipping
>> incompatible /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux/4.6.1/libgcc_s.so when
>> searching for -lgcc_s
>> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgcc_s
>> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find crtn.o: No such file or directory
>> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>>
>> Hrm...
>>
>> Am I doing something wrong? Or is this a packaging bug? I can't think of
>> any reason why I shouldn't be able to compile at least a basic C program
>> with no deps as 32bit on 64bit.
>
> it's worth noting a 'cleaner' way to do this than messing up your main
> system with 32-bit packages

Not seeing what the "mess up" is really ... (having 32bit libs/apps
does not hurt in any way ... a chroot does use even more diskpace).

Old 09-11-2011, 04:21 PM
Reindl Harald

Am 11.09.2011 18:18, schrieb drago01:
>>> Am I doing something wrong? Or is this a packaging bug? I can't think of
>>> any reason why I shouldn't be able to compile at least a basic C program
>>> with no deps as 32bit on 64bit.
>>
>> it's worth noting a 'cleaner' way to do this than messing up your main
>> system with 32-bit packages
>
> Not seeing what the "mess up" is really ... (having 32bit libs/apps
> does not hurt in any way ... a chroot does use even more diskpace)

but not as default installed

from 1000 users only 2 using any compiler and on ALL of my machines
there is no single 32bit Lib installed and has never to be installed

for compiling generally a virtual machine is recommended instead
install tons of dependencies on the work system

Old 09-11-2011, 05:34 PM
drago01

On Sun, Sep 11, 2011 at 6:21 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl@thelounge.net> wrote:

>>> it's worth noting a 'cleaner' way to do this than messing up your main
>>> system with 32-bit packages
>>
>> Not seeing what the "mess up" is really ... (having 32bit libs/apps
>> does not hurt in any way ... a chroot does use even more diskpace)
>
> but not as default installed

I didn't suggest that.