Old 09-07-2011, 02:52 PM
Richard Hughes

Default Duplicate provides for provides for perl(DynaLoader)

Not really a big problem, but I got this in my daily updates check:

(zif:836): Zif-WARNING **: found multiple provides for perl(DynaLoader) ~ :
(zif:836): Zif-WARNING **:
1. perl-ExtUtils-MakeMaker-6.57.5-187.fc16.noarch (updates-testing)
(zif:836): Zif-WARNING **: 2. perl-4:5.14.1-187.fc16.x86_64 (updates-testing)

Is this intentional? It seemed a bit odd to be provided by the former.

Richard.

Old 09-07-2011, 03:31 PM
Jesse Keating

On Sep 7, 2011, at 7:52 AM, Richard Hughes wrote:
> Not really a big problem, but I got this in my daily updates check:
>
> (zif:836): Zif-WARNING **: found multiple provides for perl(DynaLoader) ~ :
> (zif:836): Zif-WARNING **:
> 1. perl-ExtUtils-MakeMaker-6.57.5-187.fc16.noarch (updates-testing)
> (zif:836): Zif-WARNING **: 2. perl-4:5.14.1-187.fc16.x86_64 (updates-testing)
>
> Is this intentional? It seemed a bit odd to be provided by the former.
>
> Richard.

I believe it is intentional. The perl sig has split out some of what's bundled in perl itself until individual packages that can be updated out of sync with perl itself. It is intentional that both the base perl package and the split off package provide the same things, they are expecting n-v-r ordering to sort it out.

This isn't much different from having two versions of the same package, an older one in base and a newer one in updates.

- jlk

Old 09-07-2011, 04:32 PM
Richard Hughes

On 7 September 2011 16:31, Jesse Keating <jkeating@j2solutions.net> wrote:
> It is intentional that both the base perl package and the split off package provide the same things, they are expecting n-v-r ordering to sort it out.

Sure, but I couldn't see why something that is involved with creating
makefiles would provide a common C-loader-into-perl interface.

DynaLoader - Dynamically load C libraries into Perl code
ExtUtils::MakeMaker - Create a module Makefile

Either way, it's probably a bug in my code that it's issuing the
warning, and I'll see what I can do to reproduce it in a test case.
Thanks.

Richard.

Old 09-07-2011, 04:39 PM
Iain Arnell

On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 6:32 PM, Richard Hughes <hughsient@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7 September 2011 16:31, Jesse Keating <jkeating@j2solutions.net> wrote:
>> It is intentional that both the base perl package and the split off package provide the same things, they are expecting n-v-r ordering to sort it out.
>
> Sure, but I couldn't see why something that is involved with creating
> makefiles would provide a common C-loader-into-perl interface.
>
> DynaLoader - Dynamically load C libraries into Perl code
> ExtUtils::MakeMaker - Create a module Makefile
>
> Either way, it's probably a bug in my code that it's issuing the
> warning, and I'll see what I can do to reproduce it in a test case.
> Thanks.

There's definitely an error in the perl-ExtUtils-MakeMaker
sub-package, though; it shouldn't be providing perl(DynaLoader). File
a bug against perl so we don't forget about it.

--
Iain.